Form Over Function

boleyd

A guy named Buckminster Fuller uttered that, and impacted the interior design of living spaces as well as other areas. It seems that N3V is following that path. Rather than improving the function of Trainz, they opted to make it possible to create stunning graphics. The choice of TLR versus, say a schedule-time table, is the result. The reason - a time table is not a revenue enhancer. The cost of a timetable is not easily justified to the accountants when mirrored against TLR (graphics). Sales will not markedly improve with extensive functional improvements. Whereas the TLR graphics (as advertised) has a strong attraction for people who have seen what can be done with such systems - they are amazing. The material talented graphics people produce for us will be striking. But, as a functional train "simulator" Trainz is probably functionally stagnate for sometime to come.

I have visited Falling Water, Fuller's home. That convinced me that he had it wrong. Form looks good, but it fades to the background as time passes. Uncomfortable, sums up Fuller's house. N3V may see a similar reaction. A year or so after most elements are "TLR'd" customers may want to run some trains. All the oddities of the functions in Trainz will rise to the surface, as the glitzy appearance begins to take a "back-seat" to operations.

The answer is "yes". It is mentioned in the latest Newsletter. Trainz Living Railroad. I assume it will be gesturing rail workers, with sound.
ALL ABOARD. Or, the customer cursing at the railroad for spoilage of a load of fruit. A stink synthesizer plugged into a USB brings us that.

Last edited:
Except that TLR is not about graphics at all and is in fact about railway operations including train dispatch and scheduling... (Which you would know if you'd clicked the link in the newsletter)

Perhaps you should read what N3V write before moaning about it...

I apologize to you personally for being abrasive and ignorant of provided info. I remember that I saw all the stuff about graphics that preceded the TLR info, and stopped scrolling believing that was the theme. Reading the TLR section DOES directly target my concern about graphics development at the expense of improved operations. Thanks for your comment, I now anxiously anticipate a real railroad experience.

Dick, it is obvious that you did not read, the item above Trainz Living Railroad is regarding HD Terrain, which has nothing to do with graphics and is all about terrain manipulation and data density. Gone will be the days of being a slave to 5 and 10 metre grid when texturing and "earth moving". Some of the benefits are graphical such as no more jagged edges and textures in motion on cliffs and cuttings. Reading before ranting in future might be advisable.

First, I ADMIT (once again) that I did not fully read the Newsletter. I did not rant. I observed that, if my "mis-information" was true, it was a problem for me. I did not use any of the nasty words available to castigate the PERCEIVED business direction of N3V. Further, I used a well known expression of "form over function" as an illustration of my position. A RANT would have included expressions of condemnation toward N3V for not fulfilling my personal desires.

The improved graphics will be welcomed but, the features in TLR are, to me, more important. I sincerely thank N3V for the TLR (Trainz Living World) project.

Finally, I can do nothing about the interpretation of RANT versus OBSERVE. The interpretation is developed by the local atmosphere of the reader.

As info only.... "TLR" has been around for months. Have the first alpha on my computer which includes the first version of TLR. That was back a long long time ago. It was put on hold while the new high def terrain was being worked on. I just searched my email and I found 3 Trainz newsletters with "Trainz Living Railroad" - Two from Dec. of '22 and one from Jan. 2023. Here is the alpha thread where TLR is mentioned:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?170248-Trainz-Plus-Upcoming-quot-Alpha-quot-Test

What's with all this mud-slinging? Trainz community/forum is meant to be a friendly place! It seems to me that questions about the future of the development of the Trianz product is a valid issue for debate. Personally I have no wish to spend a couple of hundred bucks a year updating my installed Trainz version, function or form. Perhaps the people at Auron/N3V have time on their hands and wonder what to do with it. Fixing problems with previous versions still in use with Joe Public is too boring!

Back