Favorite railway sounds

ATSF854

trainzz
Something I've always liked about trains is the sounds that can be produced from many aspects of an operating railway. Though most like to point out the awesome sound of locomotives.

Post here in this thread videos that you hear amazing sounds in. for example, and EMD locomotive struggling up a grade in notch 8.

Here's one of my favorites featuring the IORE.

mods feel free to move this thread if it is in the wrong area

various sounds of a operating steam engine, such as the hiss of steam, whistle, bell, chugging and the wheezing of air pumps.

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
The sounds that I most enjoy with regard to railways are the in car sounds made by the passengers travelling on trains. In Britain this will be the sounds of people working while they are travelling, talking up their phones, tapping away at keyboards on their laptops or tablets, or just talking to people they are working and travelling with regarding the days forthcoming events or what has happened during their working day.

The above can add up to quite a cacophony in the coaches which some casual passengers find annoying. However I find it quite stimulating in the form of a huge travelling office placing the railways firmly at the centre of the United Kingdom’s commercial and industrial recovery. You can add to the sounds of the carriage the smell of coffee being brought through and where we still have buffet cars you can also have the smell of bacon sandwiches etc on any morning.

Of course, it would not be a railway unless you add to all the foregoing the track sounds especially on the HSTs. In that you have the constant high metallic pitch of metal against metal thrown up by the Wheels. That is intercepted every so often by the sudden “clack or thud” as the coaches speed across the turnouts throughout the trains journey.

To finalise it all you then have the sounds of the diesel power cars which can be heard in every coach especially when the power units are throttling up after leaving a station. The foregoing are always the intermixed sound of the low thud of the diesel pistons themselves together with the high-pitched scream of the turbochargers which always makes any rail enthusiasts hair stand up on the back of his neck when heard.

The foregoing is for me what makes rail travel unique over any other form of travel. Of course all the above is in regard to the diesel powered HST’s with their twin forward and rear power cars which anyone reading this will no doubt realise are my favourite consists on the UK rail network.

DMU’s have their own sounds and personalities, but I am working at the moment so cannot go into that. (Should not be writing this at all really).:hehe:

Bill

Last edited:
This! Probably going to be #1 on the list of the best of 2014. Here we get to see UP 5314 get up to speed with an online CSX Visitor and SP335 at full throttle. Beautiful K5HL, not to mention the wonderful sounds of trains getting up to speed!
I watch this over and over again

I love the high speed hum of a passenger train when you are onboard, there's something magical about the rhythm of the steel rails passing below you.

I definitely agree with Ryan. But to me, one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard was a steam engine actually working, without the help of diesels, pulling 12 cars upgrade. Another good one on YouTube is the PRR I1sa starting a heavy coal drag out of Denholm and PRR Lindbergh Engine. I also enjoy listening to the sound of wheels hitting jointed rail when departing Harrisburg on a Keystone train. I'm in NYC right now, but when I get home I'll post the videos I mentioned in this thread.

Hi Everybody
Ryan, tell me please, is there any video with that sound?

Ivan, i do not believe that there are any videos that will do justice to the sounds which are encountered by passengers when actually travelling by rail. In the foregoing i refer to the incredibly rich mixture of sound that a person traveling on a train receives during the course of a journey. I posted at position #6 of this thread regarding the in car sounds of the passengers, the sound of metal running on metal thrown up by the wheels, the diesel engine sounds and the intermittent audio passed into the coach as the train crosses turnouts etc.Along with the forgoing there are the changing general sounds of the train passing between embankments, over bridges, through stations (at high speed) and of course the very much increased audio volume whenever the train passes through a tunnel. As an example can I try to demonstrate the above by describing the sounds the passenger hears when travelling on one of my favourite sections of route, namely the GWML between Chippenham and Bath here in the UK.

Chippenham being a junction station on the line means that virtually all trains stop there. So, as the consist departs the station you hear the low thud/rumble of the diesel pistons accompanied within a few seconds by the gradually increasing scream of the turbochargers as the front and rear power cars gradually throttle up to the HSTs cruising speed of around 110 mph. Within a mile or so the train enters a long and gradually deepening cutting which enhances the sound made by the wheels being the high pitch of metal running on metal. Suddenly the outside world is plunged in to complete blackness as the train enters the two-mile long Box Tunnel. The track sound is now amplified to a level where it is difficult to be heard by anyone a passenger may be speaking to. Within a few seconds the smell of the musty dark damp of the tunnel enters the coaches through its air conditioning system. Along with the foregoing, the slow side to side sway of the train is copied by track sound which alternates higher on one side and then the other continuously in sequence with the train.

The tunnel has a 1/100 downward gradient when travelling from Chippenham to Bath. Therefore to keep the consist within the speed limits the driver normally has to apply the brakes at least once while passing through the tunnel. There is first the loud hiss of air from the brake system, followed by the sound of brake pads being pressed hard against the disks an audio similar to a continuous medium pitch rubbing/throbing sound. Along with all the foregoing sounds there are every few seconds the sound of the train approach warning horns which are one medium length high note followed by one long lower note which always seem quite "ere" in the outside darkness.

Suddenly, the outside world lights up as the train flashes out the tunnel and all the audio levels return to their normal decibels which makes the environment seem quite silent for a time. However, within a few minutes the train passes at high speed through the large set of junction turnouts at Freshford where the line from Westbury and the south coast joins the Great Western main line. Without warning there is suddenly a rapid crackle and thudding from beneath the passenger coaches which sounds somewhat like a machine gun firing for quite a few seconds and then again the normal sounds of the train return.

A few minutes later the sounds of the braking system can be heard again, this time at lower levels than were experienced in the tunnel. The train slows and the on-board passenger announcement system breaks into life informing passengers that “this train is now on approach to Bath Spa, Bath Spa will be our next station stop” this is always followed by traffic conditions in and around the city of Bath, possible delays to connecting trains and a warning to passengers leaving at the station to ensure they have their tickets ready for inspection and have all their luggage etc with them. As the train slows the track sounds decline to be replaced by the sounds of passengers standing, talking and moving along the central Isles towards the carriage exits as the train gently comes to a standstill. The sounds of the train are then replaced by the sounds of the station and the opening and closing of the carriage doors and fresh passengers joining the train, and then the train again slowly pulls away and the journey continues towards Bristol Temple Meads, but that's another experience.

I hope the above gives an insight into the experience of travelling by train as I realise that many trainzers throughout the world do not live near passenger railways and so do not have the opportunity to experience main line train travel. However, I do think all trainzers should have at least one “pilgrimage” to feel for themselves on board rail travel such as the above.:)

Bill

Last edited:
I love the high speed hum of a passenger train when you are onboard, there's something magical about the rhythm of the steel rails passing below you.

Failing that, how about a fast intermodal with no flatspots, running over freshly ground rail? Standing next to one of those with the rising and falling hum, accelerating out of a restriction, is a fine tune for preservation.

Nice to see some posts in this thread :)

A popular subject in railway sounds I forgot to mention somehow, is horns..

Back