Favorite Locomotives!

;) same here,and here is one more steam engine I forgot to add to my list,

The Union pacific 4-8-8-4 big boys,just like the challengers,are claimed to be the largest steam locomotives ever built,fortunately,8 of these monsters survive today,but I'm still worried about the condition of 4012,which is in steamtown,which is declining,just like the other steam locomotives they have in their collection!:(

Last edited:
Nickster: I would like to you tell that the #4449 Gs-4 and its stable mate #700 SP&S 4-8-4 are in Portland, Oregon Roundhouse..And they are both Beauties..

Lets not forget 4449's forgoten sister.
:eek:
Yes, although she is a GS-6, not a GS-4 class, she is still technachly an Esppe streamlined 4-8-4. In fact, 4460's old wistle is what 4449 stole "Borrowed" to run back in the 70s, and '49 has had it ever since.

Ok, Im done. Im ranting to much recently. I need to quit posting when im dead tired.:wave:

NYCJ3Hudson.jpg

Enuff said! :)

Cheers,
Fred

0-8-0 Switcher

Probably one of the least well-known steam switchers (or steam locomotives, for that matter) is the 0-8-0 steam switcher. This engine was probably built by Alco, Baldwin, or Lima. These engines worked on many railroads/railways/businesses, but the ones that I know of include:
  • Canadian National
  • Grand Trunk Western
  • Norfolk & Western
  • Baltimore & Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Northwestern Steel & Wire Company (had a fleet of ex-GTW 0-8-0 steamers, and even more interesting, paired them up with a variety of tenders from scrapped engines)
  • :)
The NS&WC engines worked right up until the 1980s, working around the district hauling steel, wire coils, and scrap. Thankfully, many of these engines have been preserved (though none are operational...to my knowledge, at least.).

I do not have any pictures, but can recommend looking online and hunting around for them. Sadly, there are no 0-8-0 train models in Trainz (I think). Lots of steam switchers, but no 0-8-0s (again, I think). Maybe Subpar could make some, eh?

Santa Fe Buff:
When I get GIMP my first project is(drum roll) The EMD SD60 in Stanta Fe & CSX scheme!!!

Out of everything... Probably With Fred On the NYC J Class.

Though Theres a Bunch of Alco's, Two Really Catch my eye.

The ALCo RS-1.
nyc-8104.jpg

And.... What ever the Hell This is Called.
3c6823cd14ab7949eb4b8871da396ae0.jpg

Think it's a NYC D something Class..... Really Cute.. Wish I could Build One and Just Run down a Branch with a 60ft Combine...

Ah We can All Dream Can't We? thankfully I have two RS-1's Within 10minutes, so I'm good with the 539T doseage...

I know right? I don't Even Know what They'd Use it for Considering they Already had Ten Wheelers, 4-6-4T's, and Small Pacifics on the trains around the city...

that second locomotive in that picture,has a 2-4-4 wheel arrangement,unfortunately I don't know what it is called,I usually just go by the number of drivers the steam engines have to help me out!;)

I love both of those loco's. You made me get my copy of "New York Central's Early Power" by Alvin Staufer out to look up that little guy. I think it's one of the 2-4-4 T's built by Brooks between 1910 and 1912 for the Yonkers Branch of the Putnam Division. They were classed D-1 and D-2. Which one that is, and what the difference between them are, I don't know either. Cool!

Cheers,
Fred

Last edited:
I love both of those loco's. You made me get my copy of "New York Central's Early Power" by Alvin Staufer out to look up that little guy. I think it's one of the 2-4-4 T's built by Brooks between 1910 and 1912 for the Yonkers Branch of the Putnam Division. They were classed D-1 and D-2. Which one that is, and what the difference between them are, I don't know either. Cool!

Cheers,
Fred

its alright,either way,the driver arrangement is correct,maybe,if i'm not doing anything that will take all of my time,maybe I can look up the name for it and the builder for you!;)

Alrighty Then Fred, It Apears Even I am Not that Stupid, That one is a D-2a, Aperently. They All Ran Trains Excatly Where you mentioned, But Later On they Moved Services to Upstate, On the "Getty Branch". Like Hell if I can Remember where that is, Too Many Friggin Railroads In this State... Theres 4/5 Railroads that used to be In Kingston Alone...

EDIT: Not Related to the thread, well, I guess It still Is, I tryed Making this once, I had a Boiler and A Wonderful Firebox, But It just wasn't right, If anyone Can Find Measurements or a diagram? I might be able to finish it.

Carry On.

Last edited:
NSWGR 47 Class
4705_broadmeadow_loco_1990.jpg

(PICTURE ISN'T MINE A I GIVE CREDIT TO WHO EVER TOOK IT)

The 47 class is a class of diesel-electric locomotive that was operated by the New South Wales Government Railways in Australia. Twenty locomotives were built altogether, intended for use on branchline services. The 47 class have a Caterpillar 16-D399TA engine, generating 840 kW / 1125 hp of power. They run on standard gauge and have Co-Co axles, with a maximum speed of 113 km/h. The class have a length of 15.26 m and a mass of 82 t. These units were praised for their fine riding qualities, but were notorious for their frequency in engine failures.

and the

NSWGR 42 class
Arhs_4202_junee.jpg

(PICTURE ISN'T MINE A I GIVE CREDIT TO WHO EVER TOOK IT)
The 42 class locomotives were built by Clyde Engineering at Granville, New South Wales for the New South Wales Government Railways between 1955 and 1956. Six locomotives were built numbered 4201–4206. They were built with the classic "bulldog nose", and while similar in appearance to the 421 class, the 42 class do not have a second cab at the rear of the locomotive.
The locomotives have a EMD 16-567C motor developing 1,305 kW (1,750 horsepower), EMD D12 generator, and six EMD D37 traction motors The 42 class have a top speed of 115 km/h, have a length of 18.54 m, and weigh 122 t. These locomotives ride on Co-Co bogies and operate on standard gauge.

Last edited:
that second locomotive in that picture,has a 2-4-4 wheel arrangement,unfortunately I don't know what it is called,I usually just go by the number of drivers the steam engines have to help me out!;)

Sorry I didn't respond, We've Figured that It was Built by Brooks, Which Became a Part of ALCo. Also, the 2-4-4T Wheel Arangement Is Named as "Forney", Also with 0-4-4T's being the Same Name, This engine Is just Intresting considering Forney's aren't normally found In SG configurations... Normally Narrow Gauge.

Back