Extremely poor internet speed from N3V

Ahhh, short trousers (impatient for 11yrs old), marbles, conkers and cuff from local cop:). Then off to watch and take number of troop trains etc..."got any gum chum"
That describes the late 40s through the 70s UK train spotters.

Right now, we have no snow on the ground. In January and February, we are usually buried under several inches or more, but this year has been extremely dry and warm, well relatively warm. With no snow and warm weather, I would've been out on my bike and off train-watching at any chance I could get. Today, my internet access is slow even with high-speed broadband.

Interesting how whenever there is a slowness or other issue with Trainz connecting - the reflexive first culprit is Trainz. Never the local software / hardware, the connection to the ISP, the ISP itself, the local Internet connections or even the Internet itself. I wonder if other games have the same pattern?

Interesting how whenever there is a slowness or other issue with Trainz connecting - the reflexive first culprit is Trainz. Never the local software / hardware, the connection to the ISP, the ISP itself, the local Internet connections or even the Internet itself. I wonder if other games have the same pattern?
Probably because it usually is. Gigabit internet and anytime I would try to install my DRM-free TANE back in the day it would take multiple attempts to get it to go through, even before all the necessary subsequent updates. Not to mention their default DLS speed unless you pony up for a First Class Ticket. No, other games don't have the same pattern. '19/22 have seemed to be better in this regard, but that doesn't erase history.

So YMMV really is true. I didn't have any download issues, even before I got a Fibre connection and was on just a DSL.

Let's examine the situation without all the anti-N3V bias. Most games that have an Internet component are published by companies that can afford to have large server farms with massive capacity for data transfer. That doesn't come cheap. N3V is a tiny company trying to play with the big boys and in my opinion doing a pretty good job. They have over the last couple of years been trying to upscale their online operations and have experienced some hiccups. Maybe because I'm an old man I just don't find those moments where they have issues as life devastating as some do in this forum.

As a retired engineer from an Internet service provider, I can tell you that the Internet is struggling along using protocols that were put in place more than 50 years ago in the pre-Internet days of the DARPAnet. Those protocols never envisioned that over 4 billion people would access the Internet at least once a day. Today, you can stream TV, movies and even live sporting events to anywhere you happen to be located and do it in HD. Parents can hand their child a tablet that can keep them entertained for hours watching YouTube videos. Add to that the fact that anything on the Internet is subject to massive denial of service attacks from botnets run by countries such as China and a dozen other countries. These attacks can clog even the massive bandwidth of the backbone of the Internet. So yes, there are slow downs that are totally unrelated to N3V.

Let's examine the situation without all the anti-N3V bias. Most games that have an Internet component are published by companies that can afford to have large server farms with massive capacity for data transfer. That doesn't come cheap. N3V is a tiny company trying to play with the big boys and in my opinion doing a pretty good job. They have over the last couple of years been trying to upscale their online operations and have experienced some hiccups. Maybe because I'm an old man I just don't find those moments where they have issues as life devastating as some do in this forum.

As a retired engineer from an Internet service provider, I can tell you that the Internet is struggling along using protocols that were put in place more than 50 years ago in the pre-Internet days of the DARPAnet. Those protocols never envisioned that over 4 billion people would access the Internet at least once a day. Today, you can stream TV, movies and even live sporting events to anywhere you happen to be located and do it in HD. Parents can hand their child a tablet that can keep them entertained for hours watching YouTube videos. Add to that the fact that anything on the Internet is subject to massive denial of service attacks from botnets run by countries such as China and a dozen other countries. These attacks can clog even the massive bandwidth of the backbone of the Internet. So yes, there are slow downs that are totally unrelated to N3V.
If you're referring to my post, It's not 'anti-N3V bias' 😅 The thought posed was 'Why the reflexive first culprit is Trainz?' I stated because it usually is, perhaps not sugar-coated (yes, due to their slow servers and occasional, frequent depending on the product, installer errors). Your post states the same thing. Nothing 'devastating' about it, just the way it is.

I agree with both wreeder and coble12. Both are saying the same thing.

It is normal practice for people to look for someone to blame when things go wrong. If they are running Trainz or accessing the N3V server(s) and something goes wrong then clearly it must be the fault of N3V. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

In recent months we have seen in these forums users blaming N3V for CTDs and other problems in their system when in fact the fault was with the users not keeping their hardware drivers (e.g. video card) or OS (e.g. Windows) up to date. This is not ignoring the fact that there are bugs in Trainz that do cause some users problems.

Access to N3Vs servers is subject to all sorts of issues that are beyond the control of N3V. For the record, I have not noticed any recent slowdown in downloads from N3V or anywhere else - solar storms included.

If you're referring to my post, It's not 'anti-N3V bias' 😅 The thought posed was 'Why the reflexive first culprit is Trainz?' I stated because it usually is, perhaps not sugar-coated (yes, due to their slow servers and occasional, frequent depending on the product, installer errors). Your post states the same thing. Nothing 'devastating' about it, just the way it is.
No, I was making a general observation. Not specific to your post.

Back