Extreme lag, Any ideas, Help please!

sicxxx

Hi guys, new to the forum unfortunately my first post is not a good one.
Bit of background (not an intentional sob story!) - having always have been into trains, my granddad bought the game as something to occupy his time after the death of his wife about 5 months ago, and actually bought a brand new PC so he could play it on.
The game installed fairly well, but began crashing after a few days, mainly on the driver mode.
Surveyor worked a lot better, but as time went on and he began creating a more detailed map the lag has become unbearable and is almost at a point where he can't put any texture or object down without waiting 5 mins for it to load or crash altogether.

The PC he bought is HP Intel Pentium All in one PC (THIS)
Will try my best at basic specs:

Processor Brand - Intel
Processor Type - Core i3
Processor Speed - 2.3 GHz
RAM Size - 8 GB
Computer Memory Type - DDR4 SDRAM
Hard Drive Size - 2000 GB
Hard Disk Technology - HDD
Graphics Card Description - Intel HD Graphics 520
Graphics Card Interface - Integrated
Operating System - Windows 10

Im not good with the technical spec part of PC's at all, but if anyone can point out anything thats lacking please do so (it could be plainly obvious)
Any ideas/recommended updates etc etc. all very very much appreciated, this game's kind of keeping him going at the minute so would love to get it sorted for him asap
Many thanks

Welcome to the forums.

The likely culprit is the graphics card I'd say as it looks like it's an older Intel model to me. Unfortunately, all in ones are not the easiest things to upgrade if it's possible at all.

Shane

Trainz can use all the computing power it can lay its track on and more, unfortunately from the symptoms you listed and the specification of the computer being used I would suggest the setup is lacking power although I'm sure for most applications it is quite a respectable machine. In respect of Trainz the built in graphics are the weakest link closely followed by the i3 processor however with gaming computer costing almost anything you would be willing to spend perhaps it would be prudent to set a budget as a starting point and work towards a better build from there. Peter

Gidday sicxxx - Here are the official suggested hardware requirements from N3V for T:ANE:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?113153-TANE-Hardware-Discussion

The thread above (hundreds of posts) will cover much of what other people have experienced in their quest to run T:ANE successfully since it originally launched.
The most important post is the 2nd one, however, as it lists the recommended hardware requisites.

Another useful guide can be found in the Tom's Hardware Desktop GPU Performance Hierarchy Table which lists the relative performance of many popular graphics processing cards in gaming applications.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

In general terms, the top 5 tiers of this table will storm T:ANE and be able to run at the highest settings (including draw distance and shadows settings) at smooth, high frame rates.
The next 7 tiers of graphics cards will run at acceptable frame rates as long as you turn down some of the performance settings/ eye-candy in T:ANE.

Below that level, the cards will really struggle to run T:ANE at acceptable frame rates and those which do not support DirectX 11 and above will not run at all.
Integrated GPUs onboard Intel or AMD Central Processing Units really struggle to perform.

T:ANE is a very demanding 64-bit simulator which is more GPU-centric than CPU-sensitive. (i.e. a modest CPU combined with a great GPU will run T:ANE much better than the other way around.)

As Shane points out above, it is not always possible to swap out the graphics cards on All-in-ones, but if you can, do so.
Adding a discrete graphics card like a GTX 1060 or RX-480 would make a world of difference to your T:ANE (and other gaming) experience.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
You didn't give details about what version you are using. And, to top it off, you have a low end spec laptop, basically, with what I see here.

Thank you for the replies guys,
Can anyone give a recommended PC spec list that'll be able to run the game with no issues?
Or better still, any links links to PC's I should be looking at that can run the game smoothly? I heard that windows10 is not ideal for it?
Once again any help is greatly appreciated

The version i have is TS12 (not bought on steam)

Thank you for the replies guys,
Can anyone give a recommended PC spec list that'll be able to run the game with no issues?
Or better still, any links links to PC's I should be looking at that can run the game smoothly? I heard that windows10 is not ideal for it?
Once again any help is greatly appreciated

The version i have is TS12 (not bought on steam)

Actually TS12 and T:ANE run pretty well on Windows 10.

Look at some of the i7-6700 Skylake CPU system
16 GB RAM or more.
SSD-boot drive 512 GB is good
Plus 1 or 2TB hard drive
GTX980 or newer. (I can't comment on the AMDs because I don't have a newer one around).

With this system, you'll be able to upgrade to T:ANE later on without issues and will more than be adequate for TS12.

Lag you say? Have yo tried resetting your router? Or maybe even using a wired Ethernet connection.

Back