End of the line!

efelstead

I would like some help please as to the best way to solve what may seem a simple logical problem but I am finding very difficult.:(
Here goes - I am trying to set up a straight route with a terminus at each end.
This means that at each end the loco is at the wrong end to PULL the carriages.
Could someone advise as to the most ELEGANT way of moving the loco to the right end at each terminus so that it is pulling the coaches both ways and which can be included in automatic driver mode.
Thank you.
Best Wishes
Edward
:confused:

That's what the runaround driver command is used for, IF you are using dual ended cabs. If not then you will need a wye or a turntable to turn the engine.

Hello again, Edward. Always make sure your line-ends include a point where the loco can run forward separatly onto an adjacent track. It can then reverse and couple up at the other end of the consist. Tank engines could, (and did) run bunker first, double-cabbed diesel locos just couple up without any need to be turned. Steam tender engines usually went away to the sheds to be fulled and watererd and turned using a turntable, (some good examples of which on the Download Station).

Of course, you could always have 'push-pull' operations, the prototype still do it today on the Liverpool Street to Norwich run!

If the station can't take a run around loop (Sort of like a crossing loop, except the only real time it is use, is to run the loco around to the other end), then you can have a small passenger carriage yard just outside the station that will allow this. The loco propels (Or you could have a small shunter pull them out, up to you) the wagons into the yard, you then either uncouple the loco and go to the loco yard to be turned and fuelled (Tender steam, single ended diesels), or you can just run around the train (Tank engines, some tender steam locos, double ended diesels/hood type diesels).
S301

A small number of stations in Northeast England actually ended in a a small turntable which was big enough to handle the tank engine rostered for most trains.Alston and Allendale were two like this.The turntable would have lines to both sides of the runround loop.In fact I"ve just remembered Highland Valley in TRS2006 is laid out like this.:cool:

There are several 'run around' driver commands (or are they rules? I can't recall) available on the DLS.

One of them is a virtual run-around in that it makes the loco magically disappear from the first end of the train, and re-appear at the other end, facing the opposite direction and ready to pull your train out. This version doesn't need any loop or wye trackwork.

There are other versions that require a wye or end loop and you can actually see your loco uncouple, run around and re-couple to the other end of your train.

Sorry I can't recall the names/kuids of these, but I think they all have 'run-around' or 'run-round' in their titles. Have look on the DLS.

Turntables are another option, as already mentioned. I'm not sure if these can be made to work via driver commands or if they are always manually operated. I also wonder if portals could be used to capture and re-generate locos for this purpose. I've never used a portal so can't really advise you on them.

- Deane

Last edited:
Hello again, Edward. Always make sure your line-ends include a point where the loco can run forward separatly onto an adjacent track. It can then reverse and couple up at the other end of the consist. Tank engines could, (and did) run bunker first, double-cabbed diesel locos just couple up without any need to be turned. Steam tender engines usually went away to the sheds to be fulled and watererd and turned using a turntable, (some good examples of which on the Download Station).

Of course, you could always have 'push-pull' operations, the prototype still do it today on the Liverpool Street to Norwich run!

I have some pictures from the LMS Regions during the 50/60 that even had Black-5's running tender first on local passanger lines:rolleyes:

Or you can make a station where it not ends, but continues at a turntable, then you can make a type of run-around around the station, then the loco couples the other end of the train.

Good luck with the route ;)

Another method occasionally used (especially on some single track lines) was for the Train to stop short, uncouple the loco, which would then divert into a siding. The rolling stock would then run under gravity into the station, finally loco back to main line and couple up. I think this was used at Eyemouth (NBR) occasionally, but do not quote me as the memory is not what it was.
The train would pull into the station, allow passengers to alight before a short reverse to get the loco out of the way and run the stock into the platform ready for the return journey.
I suspect getting this done automatically in Trainz could be tricky.

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions - Much appreciated.
One thought which occurrs to me re "Push - Pull" operations which may seem a little naive but how does the driver see where he is going when
in "Push" mode ie signals etc etc
Thank again.
Best Wishes
Edward

You normally have 2 drivers (For non 'MU' or multi unit, loco hauled trains). Sometimes they only need one crew due to the controls being linked.

With a suburban electric 'EMU' (Electric Multi Unit) they run in a sort of Push-Pull mode. 90% of the time the drive is at the front. The rest of the time, another railway worker is up the front giving the drive information, be it through hand signals, radios and possibly a few other ways.
S301

You could also have a siding near by that can store a loco ready to be attached to the end to head back.

No turning facility is not a bad thing either, I like the idea that you could drive to the destination short hood leading, then return long hood leading.

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions - Much appreciated.
One thought which occurrs to me re "Push - Pull" operations which may seem a little naive but how does the driver see where he is going when
in "Push" mode ie signals etc etc
Thank again.
Best Wishes
Edward

Our commuter trains operate this way with a control-car at one end of the train and a locomotive at the other. The trains operate with locomotive on the outbound side (from Boston). When the train reaches the end of the line, the engineer switches ends and drives the train via the control car with the locomotive providing the power.

John

Also here in denmark, but here we have trainsets, it's some wagons that are coupled together with cabine at both ends. We also have the steering wagons, as you say JCitron.

Edward, push-pull goes back to the late 1800's, where a steam loco could be at one end (always with the fireman/coalman) and the driver was either in the loco, or at the other end (usually the 'end' coach had windows at the front) and hence the driver could see where he was going. He used to signal to the fireman by means of a cord running the length of the train. Stop and go were the only signals I believe !!!

This procedure has remained, virtually unchanged to the present day.

zorronvo has created an excelent tutorial on a turntable camand. its somewhere in this section. it can only be used for TRS2006.

I remember on the GWR they used to put the tank engine in the middle of the set and the driver would just switch ends.....Saltash Flyer was like that out of Plymouth North Road...L

Another method occasionally used (especially on some single track lines) was for the Train to stop short, uncouple the loco, which would then divert into a siding. The rolling stock would then run under gravity into the station, finally loco back to main line and couple up. I think this was used at Eyemouth (NBR) occasionally, but do not quote me as the memory is not what it was.
The train would pull into the station, allow passengers to alight before a short reverse to get the loco out of the way and run the stock into the platform ready for the return journey.
I suspect getting this done automatically in Trainz could be tricky.

This used to be a standard method on some GWR branch lines and I have used it in Trainz2006. When the carriages have been uncoupled (after being pushed back up a gradient out of the station by the loco), uncouple and run the loco into a siding. When the track to the platform is clear, click on the leading carriage and press the "W" key on the keyboard until the carriages start to roll. When the carriages arrive back at the platform press the "A" on the keyboard and the carriages stop. (They stop immediately, a little unrealistic I know but, it works! ). Then reverse the loco to couple-up to the new "front" of the train!

Hope this helps!

David

Happiness is green all the way! :D

Last edited:
There is another reason why turntables are often used. A turntable or wye would ensure that all bogies of locos and rolling stock would get equal wear and tear, and extend the period between maintenance sessions. On the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, one of our locomotives will soon be turned in the opposite direction to that which it is currently facing to stop one set of flanges wearing out sooner than is necessary, and therefore keeping it in traffic for longer.

Best wishes,
Padster

You could have a 'Run Around Factilty' at each end or you could have a locomotive at each end or run a multiple unit.

Back