Electric Loco as a slug

So slugs work by getting their electricity to power the trucks from the main engine, right? If so, couldn't an electric loco with the proper wiring be used as a slug when it isn't under the wire? Also, couldn't the reverse apply, with diesels and an electric under the wire, with the diesels acting as slugs, although this would be less efficient.

I don't know if such an arrangement has ever been made, but it is certainly possible.

Here in Italy we had slugs (on the left) that received power - through proper wiring - from the pantograph-equipped unit (on the right):

E321.1uE322.1a.jpg

We also had EMU sets with unpowered cars equipped with pantographs for 3.4 kV AC three-phase lines and converters to provide 3 kV DC power to the powered cars through the wiring normally used to provide power to multiple units from the single unit with its pantograph raised:

art9_05.jpg

As long as you provide the proper power supply, therefore, I think it could be done: the electric loco working as a slug must also be M.U.'ed to the Diesel providing power, but this should not be difficult (the Milwaukee equipped the Little Joe's with equipment to control Diesel engines).

So slugs work by getting their electricity to power the trucks from the main engine, right? If so, couldn't an electric loco with the proper wiring be used as a slug when it isn't under the wire? Also, couldn't the reverse apply, with diesels and an electric under the wire, with the diesels acting as slugs, although this would be less efficient.
In theory, you are for the most part correct, it could work. But I think there are a number of real-world issues that I think would prevent this.
Using extra slug traction motors without a connection to the catenary would increase the current drawn through the pantograph for the locomotive providing the power. Why deal with this when you could just as easily use a panto on the second loco?

Secondly, slug sets are typically mated fairly permanently because of the heavy-duty connections needed to carry the power between them, again very high current. So it wouldn't be typical to pull a loco off an electric-powered division where it is needed just to mate it temporarily using special connections that wouldn't normally exist when you would really have a slug set already available if you needed them.

Third, refer to the first point and the fact that if you're trying to use a diesel as a slug on an electric line that's an awful lot of extra weight to carry around, and you still have the extra current to deal with.

I think what you really want is something Amtrak and others around NYC have been using for a long time - Dual Mode engines. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis#P32AC-DM). They use 3rd rail power when in the tunnels around NYC, then once outside where the 3rd rail stops they switch to diesel power. But Amtrak and Metro North don't really have a need for slug sets either...

It's also important to understand that slugs are primarily only used for extra tractive effort at slow speeds (the idea being that spreading the same amount of power from one engine over twice as many wheels on the rail decreases chance of wheelslip) and are typically disconnected from the power at speed, so the weight in slugs is minimized. Why carry extra weight around at speed?

Milwaukee modified their Little Joes to run with diesels, which required filling an entire cab with equipment to convert the throttle inputs between the diesels and electrics. N&W did convert one of the VGN E33s into a slug.

Okay, that IS a 4-6-0, technically. It's 1/2 of a GG-1, so, GG x 1/2 = G, and 1 x 1/2 =0.5 (G-0.5). If you mean something else, please try to explain it. I'm a little confused as to what you are calling me out for.

My point is that it was probably classed "G odd", because it became a 4-6-0, and they typically did not assign class numbers to one-offs. My earlier post was in reference to the 0.5, as there is no way for anything to be the one halfth in a series. I suppose I didn't say that very clearly, but I meant that it would have been numbered after all existing 4-6-0s if numbered at all. That would make it a G6.

Meowrailroad, I am responding to your post below with a picture of a real G1.
sm_P31-1_PRR-489_G1-neeD_Altoona-1871.jpg

Last edited:
Back