Educate me please - Items appearing suddenly when close by - LOD & Draw Distance

1611mac

- - . -
One of the things that harms my TRS-19 experience is when something suddenly appears from nowhere and you are not that far away. I was thinking this had something to do with LOD (Level of Detail) but after reading a bit about LOD it seems that the problem might be LACK of LOD.

Example:
The Armour Packing Plant <kuid2:69695:106:4>
Cattle in the cattle pin.

With in game "Scenery Detail" setting on LOW you need to be very close for the cattle to display. (Like 2-3 locomotive length's away.) With "Scenery Detail" setting on Ultra the cattle display even when far away.

On this particular Route (philskene's Rivercide Railroad) the cattle seem to be the ONLY item (close by) that the "Scenery Detail" setting affects.

1.) WHY? (why is the one asset only affect by Scenery Detail?)

2.) Is this the same thing that affects things way in the distance or is that totally dependent on "Draw Distance." It seems to me that "Draw Distance" does not affect some assets.

Tanks in advance for your views and explanations.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure but to me it looks like this.
Animated cattle by any chance? they are very high poly or triangle count, around 4000 odd, the non animated ones are around 900. TRS19 appears to have an auto lod feature that cuts in when in theory the item is too far away to notice, however with a low detail setting it disappears too quickly. If you have a look at one of the offending beasts in preview asset and zoom in and out you will probably see it vanish at some point, as in you can't see it and the poly count goes to 0. Low poly items under 500 don't seem to be affected. The distance things vanish at seems to be related to scenery detail settings more than draw distance.

The kuid of the cattle is <kuid2:30671:90102101:2> (built in) - it is not animated.

No preview image displays for this kuid regardless of settings of "Mode" "LOD Distance" or "Season" - Statistics just keep changing but I never see an image. Other assets display fine in Preview.

Also, the cattle was one example. It happens quite often (depending on settings of course) but even at the "low" Scenery Detail settings it's only a few items out of many that "suddenly" appear when close. And how does Scenery Detail differ from Draw Distance?

The cattle is a commodity and is actually two cows both well under 500 polys so must be some other problem, don't think commodities would show in preview anyway, may be as it's a version 2 asset with an old style config.

I've noticed many items, particularly those on the Marias Pass X route, change into lower LOD's way too close, but my scenery detail and draw distances are all the way up.

Matt

Having similar issues with visible commodities at industry sites. Sites appear to be empty until train is almost at the loading point, and then BOOM! ...300 containers appear out of nowhere......

Here we go again.....AI woes, 2019 edition.

The more I look , the less I like 2019. Seems to be using much more of my computer capacity and delivering a beautifully detailed but tiny area of simulation in return.

Last edited:
1611mac, can what you're seeing be explained by "Display objects behind camera" not being enabled? It's in the Trainz Settings/Performance tab.

Last edited:
Having similar issues with visible commodities at industry sites. Sites appear to be empty until train is almost at the loading point, and then BOOM! ...300 containers appear out of nowhere......

And how is your Scenery Detail setting? (Scenery Detail in game settings, NOT the Trainz settings from startup screen) - Try it on Ultra. It works with Draw Distance (see below.) If its not on Ultra it's cutting draw distance for some assets. I can't figure out how it chooses which assets.

Last edited:
1611mac, can what you're seeing be explained by "Display objects behind camera" not being enabled? It's in the Trainz Settings/Performance tab.

No effect. I usually run "behind cam" on. The in game "Scenery Details" makes all the differene in the world and having Scenery Details on High helps tremendously. I just don't understand why it would affect so few assets and why.

And to be completely up front. I had my Train Settings all up but I forgot about the in game Scenery Detail settings. (Video Settings on game "Trainz Settings. "Scenery Detail," "Tree Detail," Post Processing. I now have Scenery and Tree detail on Ultra.

Wiki info helps explain some, (Scenery Detail works along with Draw Distance) but it says the Scenery Detail works on "each asset type." I'm not sure I understand the wiki explanation. "Low setting will reduce the Max scenery draw distance to 40% of the max terrain draw distance. OK. But why seemingly only on a few assets?
game.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Video_Settings#Scenery_Detail

Back