Drive to versus Navigate to.

Ghost42

I seem to be having a plague of drivers reversing to find alternative routes, some very long unlike the shortest route which is common.
I always used to use 'Drive to' industries till I saw on the forum that there is a problem with 'Drive to' and Navigate is prefered which I am using.
I now feel this is adding to the problem, any thoughts?
TRS 22

Hello Ghost42, I've been at this sim for many years and have always used 'Drive to' and have placed Track Marks to direct the consist to the direction/track I want the consist to travel. On some of my routes there few Track marks while on others there are many but they do keep the train going where I want it to go. Check out one of my routes on the dls under the user name stouthm.

I also only use "drive to" and "drive via" and it works. I find that navigate always takes the shortest route even through a yard instead of staying on the main line.

Drive To
Instructs the AI driver to Drive, via the shortest available path, to the designated Track Mark, Industry or Destination. Switches ahead of the train that are not locked against the AI will be set to allow the train to proceed and reset after the train has cleared the switch. The AI driver will NOT attempt to find a way around blockages when calculating the shortest path to the Track Mark. All signals and speed signs along the route are obeyed.

Navigate To
Instructs the AI driver to Drive, via the shortest available path, to the designated Track Mark, Industry or Destination. Switches ahead of the train that are not locked against the AI will be set to allow the train to proceed and reset after the train has cleared the switch. The AI driver will attempt to find a way around blockages when calculating the shortest path to the Track Mark. All signals and speed signs along the route are obeyed.

Navigate commands can lead to the consist taking unusual paths to its destination. Drive commands can lead to the consist becoming "stuck" until the path is cleared.

I'd be inclined to agree with Lewis and stick with using Drive To rather than Navigate To. It does sound like Navigate could be causing trains to take longer routes unintentionally by trying to avoid any blockages.

Drive To should keep them sticking to the main lines as much as possible. And if there is a blockage, they'll just wait rather than reverse long distances.

Thanks, that has cleared a few things up, even pointing to the destination is a little long-winded.
This mornings work on the route sorted!

I find the Drive to command works well where the tracks and routings are complex and I need the AI to stick to their routes and not suffer from AI-ADS. (AI Attention Disorder Syndrome). They may wait for a track mark but at least they're not heading off somewhere else and taking the slowest track through a yard.

Navigate to works well out on the road where there's nothing to side track them into taking the wrong route.

Back