Draw Distance and Expectations

dricketts

Trainz Luvr since 2004
I've noticed in higher asset populated areas of routes the draw distance changes in game and surveyor though the viewpoint is static. I simply can not get objects 3500 meters or more to stay visible during wide angle shots. They usually draw, then disappear, and draw again. Is this just the limitations of the current graphic engine? I'm using TS2010. Here's my specs...

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

ASUS N56JR-EH71 Gaming Laptop
OS Microsoft Windows 8.1
Processor Intel Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Display 15 in.
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 59 hertz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M

It is a limitation, automatically enforced by the software unfortunately. Earlier versions of Trainz had a very short draw distance but this could be enhanced (and fixed) via a third party app called Trainz Tuner. Hopefully T:ANE will leave the draw distance determination in the hands of the user and not reduce it in high asset areas, but don't hold your breath.

It is a limitation, automatically enforced by the software unfortunately. Earlier versions of Trainz had a very short draw distance but this could be enhanced (and fixed) via a third party app called Trainz Tuner. Hopefully T:ANE will leave the draw distance determination in the hands of the user and not reduce it in high asset areas, but don't hold your breath.
Trainz Tuner works really well, giving vast distances (if your system can cope). I use it with TRS2004.

I still remember the day when that vista opened up, creating reality at long last. I've stayed with it, partly though a general resistance to change (I'm not very good at adapting to new (or unnecessary) ways of doing things), partly due to inertia, but mainly because I don't want to give up the facility to be able to have, and control, what I think is a critical aspect of the game. It provides equal viewing distance in Surveyor and Driver.

However, there are a couple of drawbacks.

1. The more the game can see into the far distance, and the more objects and splines you add in Surveyor to your immense vista, then the more the game begins to stutter. It will eventually crash if you overdo it. Careful use of textures, rather than objects for distant terrain can help overcome this.

2. The Surveyor performance settings cannot be adjusted without losing the long draw distance. Simply going to the Performance Setting menu will default the game to the much shorter pre-set game limits (although pressing the X will back you out of the menu and restore the TrainzTuner settings). This means that you cannot adjust good and bad weather fog, and particle effect, etc., and retain long draw distances at the same time.

If the code gurus could sort out the latter problem it would be even more of a winner than it already is.

I reckon the majority of dedicated Trainz users are big enough, experienced enough, and ugly enough to be able to set their own draw distances. Getting the balance of distance and asset loading is part of the challenge. I love it!

This is actually fixed in T:ANE with a substantial draw distance of 15,000 meters. How well this will work on your machine is something to find out! The limits in part are due to the current DirectX technology used in the game, and the hardware limitations that were in place when the program was created. Keep in mind that many games we have, even today, were developed many years ago. This means that the developer had to set limitations on, what was considered reasonable performance. These specs with our newer hardware are quite often at the lower end. This is why we have a much lower performance (there are other issues too), and shorter draw distances since the older software doesn't make use of the newer hardware capabilities. The developers too will often write for the minimal capabilities, which in many cases today is DX09 to ensure the largest market for their products. Since today DX09 is pretty much old, DX11 is the minimum and DX12 is becoming the new standard.

This upward spiraling curve, to put it mildly, between hardware capabilities and the software, makes things almost into an arms race due to the length of time it takes the software developers, the game developers in this case, to write code for the hardware. They finally get their code-base stable for, what was then considered the latest and greatest, and that goal post has moved on. The other issues too are software developers have to pay a lot for the SDKs, though some are free, used to write their programs. These expensive packages, such as Microsoft Visual C++, etc., can run into hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Graphics programs such as 3ds Max (not GMAX), and others such as Maya, Houdini, and Lightwave, cost many thousands for the base program, and this doesn't count per-seat licenses, plug-ins, etc. In many cases, these programs have direct-write capabilities to produce DX components at that then current level of the software.

John

the draw distance limitation ruins the beauty of far objects especialyy sitting in cab
hope it got fixed in tane

It may be because you're using TS10, where the 'pop-up' issue was particularly bad in my experience. I'm now using TS12 and it doesn't seem as bad. The other thing to check is whether you're using 'inefficient' splines (eg. track) via the in-game stats as it's these that can trigger off pop-up. If you swap out some of these splines, the pop up effect can be significantly reduced.

Paul

It may be because you're using TS10, where the 'pop-up' issue was particularly bad in my experience. I'm now using TS12 and it doesn't seem as bad. The other thing to check is whether you're using 'inefficient' splines (eg. track) via the in-game stats as it's these that can trigger off pop-up. If you swap out some of these splines, the pop up effect can be significantly reduced.

Paul

I've had that happen myself and in TS12 as well.

Back