Double-heading steam locomotives

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
It is impossible, cab mode or otherwise. I can fiddle with the throttle (both locomotive throttle settings independent of each other) and the train creeps forward a little. In DCC mode it doesn't budge at all. What's going on?

Another question;
It's my first few times trying cab mode with steam engines, and I realize there's a tendency for me to break the train (which I then cannot reattach, try as I might), even when I make adjustments as gentle and gradual as possible. Even break more couplers trying to rejoin the train. Any tips?

Locomotives in question are some of the USRAs from Ben Neal's site. I know they're fine, I just need to know how to handle them. :)

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

As to your problems with double heading the locomotives we may need more information to fix it especially which Trainz ('04,'06'TC3,'09,'10) you are running. If you are coupling the locomotives together in driver make sure that only one locomotive (I recommend the lead loco) has a driver.

In reply to your second question, I recommend driving the locomotive light (no cars) and slowly adding cars a few at a time until you can start out easily with your desired train size. Listen carefully to the sound effects as well as this can tell you when the slack has run out, as the slack (or free play between the couplings) can cause damage. Another tip is to apply the locomotive (independent) brake before you release the train (automatic) brakes, then open the throttle slightly and then release the locomotive brake (this works for any locomotive).

Hi there,
I'm on ts10. Never thought of the one-driver-two-loco angle, although in the real world this would be rather unrealistic. Will try it tonight.

Train size in question is 5 RRmods' sixty foot boxcars, each fully loaded. Thanks for the advice as well. Also, I realize that when I do manage to get the entire train moving, it tops out at around 20 to 30 miles per hour. I try cutting the reverser a little (as I usually do with MSTS steamers), but all that seemed to do was slow the train down. Are they really that slow or..?

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

5 Boxcars? They should be able to pull that...

In 09 some of my steamers are also showing such behaviour... 20mph and done. And I´m talking about BIG steamers. They run well in 06, by the way.

:confused:

5 Boxcars? They should be able to pull that...

In 09 some of my steamers are also showing such behaviour... 20mph and done. And I´m talking about BIG steamers. They run well in 06, by the way.

:confused:

Locomotives built for 2006 require a new engine config to run properly in 2009 or 2010. You could try downloading an engine config for a 2009 loco and using it in your 2006 locos. They also need a new engine sound file in 2009 and 2010.

Cheers,
Bill69

Back