Does the DLS really work anymore

bigbern

I've been trying to get new content fro the DLS with no luck for nearly 2 months now. I have tried changing the settings on my content mananger with no luck. Sometimes I get a message that the server is full and other times I get a message saying that I am not registered. I have had a registered version of Trainz since the first original Trainz. I was thinking about buying a FCT because my internet time is very limited by my profession. I'm a long haul trucker and not all truck stops have wi-fi. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful. Trainz was my escape from a very stressful job and now it has just become one more stressful thing in my life. Any ideas or suggestions
Thanks, Bernie

The DLS works for me, but I do get the Server Full message occasionally. Whenever I've purchased a FCT I always get faster access without any issues, but you might have to prod the Helpdesk a couple of times as sometimes the FCT doesn't activate properly.

Besides, shouldn't you be playing Truckz? ;)

I spend 2 months at a time on the road playing Truckz in real life. I need to play something to forget work not remind me of it.....lol

Timing, Timing and Timing

Based on own experience in a much different employment situation, three things that semi-work:

(1) Certain times of day/days of the calendar week are less busy. Late night/early morning weekends in the Western Hemisphere are most likely, though not guaranteed. There also seems to be a "supper gap" early evening in (approximately) Central Standard Time which can be exploited, but not every day. After an N3V service pack update when everyone's trying to download it *and* re-downloading their content because installing it disabled their databases, you may be out of luck for a week or more.

(2) Once you get a live connection, work it! Put a large item (multi-megabytes) at the top of your CMP download list. When you finally get a connection, pick all the small stuff (and large stuff) you wanted while it's downloading. Your connection will remain live until the last thing comes down unless you have physical connection problems. If for any reason you *do* lose your connection, try to reconnect at once, several times. Oddly, when you reconnect you often get a much better download speed. I don't know why.

(3) While downloading, you may get red-banner error messages at the bottom of the CMP screen (I'm using CMP2.0, your appearance may differ). This is scary because the red banner remains after its message is delivered... but check the download window, your connection is probably still live and working. Don't panic! Just click on the red message and continue: it goes away and the download contintues.

I'm a long haul trucker and not all truck stops have wi-fi. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.

I would call Eric and Gary and complain...:hehe:
Seriously though, have you considered buying your own Wi-Fi portable hotspot? You may even be able to use your smart phone for this.

As far as getting on at certian times, I had used that trick in the past when I had a normal job and lived at home. Currently my times are set by the load I am hauling which makes hitting that sweet spot of low use very diffucult. The portable hotspot is on my list to get next time I get hometime. I really wanted to know if the DLS was working before I invest in anything like a hotspot or a FCT. I work 70 hours a week for my money and I don't want to throw it away as there isn't much else that I do online. Thanks guys for some quick info. Atlest the forum still works. Bernie

Yes, the DLS is working fine if you have an FCT. I'm surprised you don't "do more" over the internet, as there are many fine trucking applications now days.

I know there all sorts of apps but I guess I'm just "old school". I don't even use a GPS. I have one but I just don't need it. I didn't even have a laptop until afew months ago and I got it mainly for Trainz so I could play on the road. I have Sn3 at home but it's kinda hard to take it on the road.
Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I was going to suggest you check your security settings as they do get updated now and then, but then you mentioned that you do not have a first class ticket.
I can highly recommend one to you as it will probably:wave: solve your issue and give you many more hours of pleasure with Trainz.

Well ya'll convinced me it will work well with an FCT, so an order for one will be placed shortly. But first I must get my mobil hot spot up and running. I just happened to be at a truck stop with a Radio Shack so I decided to bite the bullet and get one, even though the prices at truck stops are ungodly high. I won't be home for another month and didn't want to risk suffering for trainz withdrawl. Thanks ya'll
Bernie

Back