Does anybody know why, so many windows?

steamdrivre

Narrow gauge or nothing
Hi,
I was just wondering why there are so many windows in saw mills, lumber mills and just plain working factories.
Are there so many bosses that they have to run around looking out of the windows to keep an eye on everybody?
Windows aren't cheap! Frames and glass are for more expensive then a plain old wall.

My first guess was a major light source but upon further research I've found that most of these facilities generated their own electricity, (Late 1800s through the turn of the century.), so electricity was free. Meaning that they had all the light they wanted.
Cass, West Virginia was a perfect example of this fact. Not only did the mill generate it's own electricity for itself but it also supplied the whole town of Cass as well, 24/7.

Does anybody know why there are so many windows?

Thanks,
Rick

Daylight is a lot brighter than turn-of-the-century lightbulbs, and electricity may be free if you do it yourself, but it's not limitless...

Paul

I bet you live in an air-conditioned building...

:cool: If you check, you'll see the factory windows are hinged at the top, and open outward.

This is the only air-flow source, was never enough, that's why they call them "sweat-factories..."

What about modern buildings, they're nothing but windows. You must be very young. Electric lights up until the invention of the fluro were very dull, and I mean DULL right up to the early 1950's. They were as powerful as a 30-40 watt globe of today. People need good light to give their best performance, particularly factory workers. Anyway, windows save bricks!

Saw mills and flour mills tend to get a buildup of dust particles, which are highly explosive as well as being bad for your lungs.Having open windows would lessen the risk and let you breathe.

Last edited:
Back