Disaster recovery problem

Chuck_in_NH

A few days ago, my C: drive crashed and destroyed my Trainz 2004 files.

I had backed up the installation, so I still had all the data. I re-installed Trainz 2004 and made certain it was operational.

I then restored the Maps, Profiles and Dispatcher Downloads folders. However, none of the restored data showed up in Surveyor. I checked to be certain all the restored data was where it was supposed to be. It was.

I then deleted the chump files but it made no difference.

What am I doing wrong, or what should I be doing that I am not?:'(

Chuck Hoover

A few days ago, my C: drive crashed and destroyed my Trainz 2004 files.

I had backed up the installation, so I still had all the data. I re-installed Trainz 2004 and made certain it was operational.

I then restored the Maps, Profiles and Dispatcher Downloads folders. However, none of the restored data showed up in Surveyor. I checked to be certain all the restored data was where it was supposed to be. It was.

I then deleted the chump files but it made no difference.

What am I doing wrong, or what should I be doing that I am not?:'(

Chuck Hoover

Hi Chuck,

Try deleting the dispatcher.chump file. This will force Trainz 2004 to reload the contents of your Local folder. Once this is done, your data will show up in Surveyor.

A drive failure, aye. This must be a disease that's going around to Trainz PCs! Right now I'm offloading my data drive to another one because one of mine decided to make a clunking sound. It's like someone keeps banging a spoon on a tin can. This happened before, but I couldn't tell which drive it was until I did a defrag late last night.

Of course this happens to be my data drive where Trainz is located. I started copying files at 10:00 this morning, and they're finally finishing up now. The drive stops periodically and cluncks then it resumes copying again. Pretty scary regarding the data, but I"m lucky I suppose. It could've been a squealing hard drive. I replaced one of those for my former manager. His son complained his PC wouldn't work. The drive was so noisy, and non-operational, that it sounded like a streetcar pulling into Park Street in Boston!

John

PS If you need any personal help, PM me with your telephone number. I'm only about 40 minutes from you down in Haverhill! Welcome to Trainz!
John

Last edited:
Disaster recovery

Thanks John.

However, I can't find a dispatcher.chump file :confused: .

I have reloaded the entire 2004 program with sp4 and I still can't find a dispatcher.chump!

Any other ideas?

Chuck

Chuck

You don't have a chump file until you actually run the program, it is created at that stage.

Peter

It may sound like a silly and obvious question but in later versions of Trainz if you import something from an external source (your backup) you have to Commit it as it will be Open For Edit.Have you done that?

The actual .chump file name is world_cache_dispatcher.chump (usually gets created the first time Trainz starts) - this is usually in the Cache folder or the Settings folder. There are some other .chump files in there but that is the main one for 3rd party content.

In terms of your folder structure for the content, does it look roughly like this?

----------------->WORLD
--------------------------->CUSTOM
-------------------------------------->DISPLACEMENTS
-------------------------------------->TRAINS
-------------------------------------->SCENERY

--------------------------->DISPATCHER
------------------------------------------->DOWNLOADS
--------------------------------------------------->KUID xxxxx xxxxxxxx (replace with actual kuid number)

What operating system are you using? If Vista or Win7 then you might need to both install and run Trainz in Administrator mode.

Does Trainz Objectz show the assets as being present?

John

Disaster recovery

My thanks to all for your assistance.

I tried all the suggestions and none cured the problem.

I finally erased the entire TRS2004 folder, then reloaded TRS2004 followed by CUSTOM and DISPATCHER\DOWNLOADS.

The problem is gone. Everything works as it should.:D

Chuck,

I'm glad you solved your technical difficulties. It's been a very long time since I used TRS2004 so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to using it.

John

Last week I had to restore my computer to its' original state because of a virus. This of course destroys all personal and program files on the computer.

However prior to that I had backed up the entire 2004 Trainz file, everything including the program and all other files. (Used copy and then pasted to an external file.

After I got my computer back up and running I then copied my files from the external drive and pasted them back onto the C drive. (Process took about an hour). Everything was back up and running as before with no problems. I did the same thing with TS2009 and TS2010. They were all restored back to the original state.

I found this a lot easier than having to reinstall the program and then inport all the personal routes, downloaded assets, and repaired assets that I had worked on.

Back