Dighole no longer working

Lo_Poly

Unidentified bogie
I'm not sure what happened. They work on other routes fine.

Whenever I try to place a dighole object, it appears underneath, but the ground tile does not disappear. I have other digholes on the route that are working fine. Same with all dighole objects. Why?? :(

Hi,

Not quite sure if I follow you correctly, if I'm not, please forgive me.

I read it that you have created an object you want to be acting as a dighole - but it will not remove the grid.
If you use another dighole object, it works fine, just not the one you want to use.

If that is understood correctly, I would first check the config file of the non working object against a working object - because it sounds like something is off in the config file.

Other then that, I really have no clue at this time of night at least. Way past midnight here in the land of the midnight sun (which is in summer, now it is winter...)

Best of luck

Linda

Hi,

Not quite sure if I follow you correctly, if I'm not, please forgive me.

I read it that you have created an object you want to be acting as a dighole - but it will not remove the grid.
If you use another dighole object, it works fine, just not the one you want to use.

If that is understood correctly, I would first check the config file of the non working object against a working object - because it sounds like something is off in the config file.

Other then that, I really have no clue at this time of night at least. Way past midnight here in the land of the midnight sun (which is in summer, now it is winter...)

Best of luck

Linda

I'm not making any object. These are dighole objects created by other users (i.e. "AJS dighole")

Edit: Here's an example of my situation (animated)
digholesh3.gif

Last edited:
I've just noticed that I can place digholes on different baseboards, but not on the one I'm wanting them on.

Wha? :(

Is the dig-hole object made for TRS2006? I noticed that you are using TC...might that have anything to do with it? I don't have TC so I would have no idea on that...best of luck, though!

Tim

Is the dig-hole object made for TRS2006? I noticed that you are using TC...might that have anything to do with it? I don't have TC so I would have no idea on that...best of luck, though!

Tim

I decided to test it out in TRS2006. Does the same thing with any dighole asset.

Is there some kind of limit of digholes-per-baseboard? :confused:

Try deleting one dighole and replacing in the same spot.

I've already tried that. In just a few cases, after deleting it hasn't come back so I had to use undo, and in other cases, after putting a bunch of digholes in one square the square finally disappears... that only happened twice. :eek:

Do you want to use dighole or not. There are only special occasions you would want to use one.

I do need to use them, and a lot more. This is a San Fransico-like route, and Smooth Track/Spline isn't doing the job 100% of the time. I'll still have terrain sticking through the road, and if I smooth it anymore it starts messing up stuff around it. :(

OK let me know the sizes, and I will make some special digholes for you, say 4x2 or 6x2 or whatever

OK let me know the sizes, and I will make some special digholes for you, say 4x2 or 6x2 or whatever

Really? I could certainly make them myself now that I've figured out the whole mystery. :hehe:

I would prefer, 4x2, 4x4, 4x6, 4x8, 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, and 2x8.

OK if you make them yourself, please upload them to the DLS, or I can get Ben Dorsey to make them and upload them.

Maybe I should do that and get him to send you a copy when done.

He has my dighole, so knows what to do (not difficult)

Hi Lo_Poly:

I'll make them for you tommorrow. Doesn't take long (actually it takes longer to export and upload them then it does to make them).

Just out of curiosity - - - what do you use them for? All they need to be is a small rectangular solid with a glass texture (to make it harder to see) placed 40 to 60 ft below ground level.

Ben

Hi Lo_Poly:

I'll make them for you tommorrow. Doesn't take long (actually it takes longer to export and upload them then it does to make them).

Just out of curiosity - - - what do you use them for? All they need to be is a small rectangular solid with a glass texture (to make it harder to see) placed 40 to 60 ft below ground level.

Ben
Thanks for making them!

It's a San Francisco inspired route. And of course, San Francisco has hills. I want my splines to mold to the terrain, but if I try to adjust the height of the spline points, the spline goes straight and would cut through the ground on one side, etc.

Using smooth track/spline usually, helps but as said above pieces of terrain would still be visibility sticking through the surface of the road, and most of the time if I try to smooth it out any more the stuff around it starts to get messed up.

Here's one example, a road and a parking lot on a rough hill. Without all those digholes you see, the parking lot looked terrible, and the road looked like it had been through an earthquake.
screen162sv5.jpg

Cheers, Chris. :)

Remember I said to make your buildings with a concrete below ground level, just for such occasions !!!

BTW they do have earthquakes there, so maybe OK about the road LOL

Remember I said to make your buildings with a concrete below ground level, just for such occasions !!!
This route is not using any of my objects. I'm still experimenting and learning. Also, this has to do with the splines, as the objects (buildings, etc.) are mostly fine. :)

BTW they do have earthquakes there, so maybe OK about the road LOL
Isn't that kind of dark? :hehe:

Hi,

Sorry I misread your first post, but it seems like things have sort of worked it self out mostly for you.

But, reading this thread makes me think there is another way for you to not use all the dig holes you use.
You mention the digholes are the only way to stop the grid/ground from pointing up through you splines from time to time, and using the smooth button messes things up from time to time so you don't want to use it to much.
If that is the case, would it help you setting the circle to the lowest radius, and the sensitivity to low and work the grid points (where the grid lines makes intersections) manually through the tools in Tab F1?
The smooth button makes a 30 m wide smooth thingy, doing it manually you can control every 10m square.

This will not stop the grid/ground from misbehaving all the time, sometime the dighole can be very usefully - but if I read your thread correct this time it seems to me like a manually work on the grid will also help you in locations.

Hope this is not showing again that I can't read. :)

Best wishes and luck

Linda

Hi Lo_Poly:

Your digholes have been uploaded. 2X2, 2X4, 2X6, 2X8, 4X2, 4X4, 4x6, and 4X8. They are moveable and deletable although you must zoom in quite close vertically to see the little part 50 ft below ground level. The rotate command works too but your rotating the little part, not the dighole (that is fixed by the dighole command in the config file). Probably won't appear on the DLS until the 7th or later. Hope they are what you have in mind.

Ben

Back