Deleting Obsolete Kuids

Borderlad

I think I will be okay, but just checking before I delete obsolete Kuids from my TS12.

Is there any reason I shouldn't as I have huge number?

For non built-in obsolete items, it's normally OK to remove them unless you are having problems with the current version of the asset in question.
For built-in obsolete items, these cannot be removed (and will account for quite a few of them).

Shane

Just to be sure: If I look at the assets, many of them have a "ZZZzzz". I take that these are obsolete and no replacement is available? Then, is it safe to delete? Even if they are ZZZ, do they still work? If I look at the KUID number, oftentimes the number is the same with the 2: at start or end. I suspect that it means that this is an update and the original one with the zzz can be deleted. Yes? I am just looking to confirm. Thanks..

Just to be sure: If I look at the assets, many of them have a "ZZZzzz". I take that these are obsolete and no replacement is available? Then, is it safe to delete? Even if they are ZZZ, do they still work? If I look at the KUID number, oftentimes the number is the same with the 2: at start or end. I suspect that it means that this is an update and the original one with the zzz can be deleted. Yes? I am just looking to confirm. Thanks..

Sure they can be deleted, but check before you delete! Whenver I update out-of-date assets, I then check to ensure they have downloaded properly without missing dependencies or script errors. If they appear in my download list without problems, I delete the old one, otherwise I delete the update and wait.

A good example of this is a recent update by erendir. The engine script caused a bunch of Russian engines to not load and TADDaemon screamed loudly, constantly, with streams of script errors on various lines. These engines are used in the built-in Russian session. The next day an update to the update appeared and that one downloaded without problems. Recently also TUME updated his Little Joes and other content which borked some of the built-in sessions. I waited then still had to replace a tracksound on the bogeys because they were missing that dependency. His other fixed update downloaded fine.

John

Aren't multiplayer participants required to have the indigenous versions of the assets as published?

And so, tonight I decided to do some "new download available". I was able to "upgrade" many assets. But at one point, after download, it turns to ZZZ ! Further, I check the asset and it looks OK in the route, but in CM, it shows the ZZZ. What is going on?

obsolete = a newer version is installed
out of date = a newer version is available at the DLS

Right click on the obsolete asset (in CM) and use 'View Asset Versions'. One of the asset shown should be the version, which is newer and installed.

Peter

True: Next time I open CM, there were no zzz's where they where when the update took place (You can see it in View asset versions). Thank you for clarifying that. Then there is the other issue of CM not been able to download any asset of more than 4 or 5 megs. It sits at the end forever and you have to cancel the download.

Instead of deleting, why not just disable them. Then if there are any issues with specific objects, you can always enable those again.

Instead of deleting, why not just disable them.
Because than they still take up space on my SSD and if they are broken, I can choose to download a specific version in TS12SP1.
As far as I know, there is no need to disable assets other than to not have them show-up in Surveyor.

I have two filters setup which help with this process.

1) Out of Date

Out of date = True
Installed = True
Obsolete = False.

2) Obsolete and NOT Built-in

Obsolete = True
Built-in = False

I then select items in Filter #1 and download them. There are some that have an N/A for a size and don't always download. For those I right-click on them and view asset versions. This will bring up any items that can be downloaded.

When I'm done downloading the updated items, I check for errors and missing dependencies. If everything is clear, I'll use Filter #2 and delete the obsolete items.

John

Because than they still take up space on my SSD and if they are broken, I can choose to download a specific version in TS12SP1.
As far as I know, there is no need to disable assets other than to not have them show-up in Surveyor.
True but deleting only works for items you download or make yourself. Anything built-in can only be disabled. If those obsolete items are standing between you and a full disk, you might have bigger problems.

Back