Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

HawkeyeFultz

Cumbres and Toltec
Hello, everyone! Since this is my first post I'll get to my point quickly. I am using fishlipsatwork's route blank to recreate the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in Colorado. I have been detailing the area of Lava, NM and here are a few screenshots of the area using Prowler's K-36 481.
Lower part of Lava Loop, with the 4% turning track
Lower switch of Lava Loop
Close up of 481 going around the curve
Overhead with the inoperative watertank.
Shot of the C&TS coach 506 Taos
Cab shot of 481 going through the sagebrush.

I created the coaches and will be uploading the pack of around 20 C&TS coaches soon, and will provide a link.

Last edited:
Umm...invisible bogies? Or narrowgauge so they just don't show?
3' narrow gauge.

And, thanks, Gandalf! I have a total of 25 out of 64 miles of track laid. Prowler is helping me work on a standpipe for use at Sublette, NM and Cumbres Pass. I just decided to do some detailing at Lava.

Here are a few more.
Upgrade on Gravity Hill, a couple miles east of Lava.
Early shot of Lava when Prowler first released 485.
Whiplash Curve, with three levels of track.
Big Horn, NM, with a wye and a siding. This shot is before I textured it.
Overhead shot of 481 showing the turning track at Lava
Shot toward the rear of the train as it passes Lava tank
Fireman's side of 481
Looking east toward Lava loop The turning track was added by the D&RGW in the 1920s to turn snowplows around back to Chama.
One of my favorite shots. 481 is traveling upgrade past Lava, whereas the camera is positioned on the track leading up to Lava. The train and the camera are about half a mile apart following the track.
C&TS 463 rounding the curve at Lava

Wonderful!

Looking forward to the completed layout,, I know they take time,, (3+ years so far on my NCNG)

thanks, and if you need elevation maps or pics around the yards, drop me a line

Looking forward to the completed layout,, I know they take time,, (3+ years so far on my NCNG)

thanks, and if you need elevation maps or pics around the yards, drop me a line
Hey, thanks a lot! I have most of the Antonito yard done (I'm going make the engine shop), but the tiger data doesn't provide enough information at Chama. I will, at some point, need some information of the Chama yards. I'll upload some shots of Cumbres pass soon.
Prowler just released the Cumbres & Toltec K-36 483, so you will soon see screenshots with a real C&TS locomotive at the head!

Fantastic job, looks like we have another Rio Grande narrow gauge fan! :D
I just took a trip to Chama & Durango over the summer and have a bunch of pictures of the Chama yard, so just let me know what you need and I can send some pictures your way. Keep up the great work!

(I'm actually working on the Durango to Silverton portion (D&RGW days) betsy was working on the line to Farmington, Todd's working on the entire RGS, and now your working on the Chama to Antonito portion)

Dietrich :)

Fantastic job, looks like we have another Rio Grande narrow gauge fan! :D
I just took a trip to Chama & Durango over the summer and have a bunch of pictures of the Chama yard, so just let me know what you need and I can send some pictures your way. Keep up the great work!

(I'm actually working on the Durango to Silverton portion (D&RGW days) betsy was working on the line to Farmington, Todd's working on the entire RGS, and now your working on the Chama to Antonito portion)

Dietrich :)
All we need now is chama:eek: to durango

Look forward to seeing this one finished. I would be very carefull using the TIGER data. I haven't checked this route, but the D & S route from fishlips atwork on the DLS is a bit of a joke in this respect. Rivers flowing halfway up the canyon walls, and anything other than single line track is very distorted. I'm having to overlay with basemaps to get it reasonably accurate, and that seems to take forever ! Only up to Hermosa so far.

Dave Bird

looks good...but I think your senic railway company needs a sage bush or two to put trackside :p

peter

AWWWWW!!!!!!! :'( my eyes! Those red cars (just like the real ones) are bright!

Very nice models though, as I see the cars (The Antonito side Coachs) look very nice, (as do the Chama side Coachs) much like the Real coaches! Just my 2 cents worth; Pullman Green.

Hey, thanks a lot! I have most of the Antonito yard done (I'm going make the engine shop), but the tiger data doesn't provide enough information at Chama. I will, at some point, need some information of the Chama yards. I'll upload some shots of Cumbres pass soon.
Prowler just released the Cumbres & Toltec K-36 483, so you will soon see screenshots with a real C&TS locomotive at the head!

What sort of information about the Chama yard did you want? I grew up in the Chama Yard, and I think I could help you out.

Glad to see such an amazing route being built!
-DRGW489

Ah yes, the C&TS, looking forward to it, my Farmington branch, as well as my Silverton branch are nowhere near the real thing, I primarily look for that atmosphere, not necessarily the line inch by inch from Durango to Farmington, however, when it comes to the Cumbres and Toltec, I may look ingo actually figuring out how to install those HOG textures and actually do an accurate map..............:hehe::cool::hehe:

AWWWWW!!!!!!! :'( my eyes! Those red cars (just like the real ones) are bright!

Very nice models though, as I see the cars (The Antonito side Coachs) look very nice, (as do the Chama side Coachs) much like the Real coaches! Just my 2 cents worth; Pullman Green.

What sort of information about the Chama yard did you want? I grew up in the Chama Yard, and I think I could help you out.

Glad to see such an amazing route being built!
-DRGW489

I agree, the cars would look so much better in Pullman green, or even in D&RGW yellow and black for that matter, but hey, he wants to be accurate for the tourist line...:wave::wave::wave:

Actually the cars wouldn't look so bright if they had originally been done in Tuscan red..............:wave::wave::wave:

Back