CSX Heritage Units, What if?

wilh

Off the Deep End
With all of the craziness over the latest set of heritage units (being Norfolk Southern's), that got me thinking. What would it look like if CSX had heritage units? Well here's what I thought they might look like.
Thanks to Michael Eby for letting me use his original drawings. Painting and lettering done by me.
Here are the first four. ES44DCs 5200-5203:
8193627052_c3530175c5_h.jpg

8192548007_a25526af51_h.jpg

8192548091_23a33c09ed_h.jpg

8193636386_70c886b72d_h.jpg

What? No B&O, C&O WM, Pere Marquette or Chessie?
:hehe:

It is interesting to me the difference in perspectives of a railroad. To me (who grew up in Ohio) CSX is all about the Chessie System.

What? No B&O, C&O WM, Pere Marquette or Chessie?
:hehe:

My feelings exactly! I really don't feel all that fuzzy for the Sleepy Kitty, they abused and destroyed the PM N class with coal-hauling. They actually wouldn't maintain the PM locos despite the fact they were virtually identical to all other berks.

Now I'm thinking, what would a PM P42DC look like on today's Pere Marquette #371/370, modern version of the Furniture City Special?

Van Dusen.jpg

Now you must be patient, I not quite done yet. Those units were next.
Here are the next five by the way. SD70ACes 4831-4835. You'll will particularly like the last one.
8201769230_19db5185ad_h.jpg

8204765086_30e45a066b_h.jpg

8200676071_99268c2cc3_h.jpg

8203594059_78fb0e852e_h.jpg

8206215548_04b1b222f0_h.jpg

Now I'm thinking, what would a PM P42DC look like on today's Pere Marquette #371/370, modern version of the Furniture City Special?

Would that be ready built or flat pack, hahaha an express to Ikea, Honestly tho thats rather a poor name for a named train

Andy

Would that be ready built or flat pack, hahaha an express to Ikea, Honestly tho thats rather a poor name for a named train

Andy

Before the plastic revolution, Grand Rapids was the scource of the nation's furniture needs, due to large volumes of forest in Michigan ripe for lumbering.
According to "The PM in 1945", GR is"best known (for) which is furniture manufacturing for which it is renowned the world over."
But it appears that this service was mainly hauled by Pacifics, being discontinued some time after the C&O merger with the E7s working the GR-Detroit division.

I'm not sure if you know him or not, but Jim Tiroch on Facebook did a series of these awhile ago. These look a lot like his creations, and when I saw them, I thought he had created them.

Good stuff at any rate. We could put in the New Haven too and the Boston and Albany (New York Central) because CSX runs those lines today up my way in New England.

John

I'm not sure if you know him or not, but Jim Tiroch on Facebook did a series of these awhile ago. These look a lot like his creations, and when I saw them, I thought he had created them.

Good stuff at any rate. We could put in the New Haven too and the Boston and Albany (New York Central) because CSX runs those lines today up my way in New England.

John

The ones that I've been doing in my thread are based on ones by Dave Bridges over on TrainSim, so seems like there are a few of thes floating around! I've got a NYC one in the works, but I can't find any Boston & Albany pictures. Searching for what Wikipedia claims reporting marks of B&A only comes back with Baltimore & Annapolis. Frankly, I'm surprised there is no NH in the ones I have.... I'll have to add it to my list!! Last week of classes, so after finals, I plan to getting back to work on my reskins. (I had to take a break, because reskinning the same model over and over was starting to get monotonous..... I was getting GEVO burnout!! I can't imagine how Jim(btvfd) cranked out SOOOO DAMNED MANY SW1500's!!)

I hope to have those other 6 units out sometime. (I just got a little tired of painting those things, especially after that PM one). I will most likely make them in that order too. (C&O, B&O, WM, Chessie, NH, B&A)

Last edited:
The ones that I've been doing in my thread are based on ones by Dave Bridges over on TrainSim, so seems like there are a few of thes floating around! I've got a NYC one in the works, but I can't find any Boston & Albany pictures. Searching for what Wikipedia claims reporting marks of B&A only comes back with Baltimore & Annapolis. Frankly, I'm surprised there is no NH in the ones I have.... I'll have to add it to my list!! Last week of classes, so after finals, I plan to getting back to work on my reskins. (I had to take a break, because reskinning the same model over and over was starting to get monotonous..... I was getting GEVO burnout!! I can't imagine how Jim(btvfd) cranked out SOOOO DAMNED MANY SW1500's!!)

Scott,

I hope your classes and finals went well. This of course is more important than Trainz stuff, although we sometimes beg to differ! :D

I agree, how does Jim do that? I've done only a tiny bit for myself, and boy oh boy was I done in by the little bit I did. It took me so long even with professional graphics programs!

Are you using a program that has layers such as Canvas or Paint Shop Pro? This will save a lot of time reskinning since the base unit is there and all you're changing is the base elements, but still it is time consuming and to me too painful.

The Boston and Albany had New York Central paint at the end of their life, just before Penn Central took over. I vaguely remember seeing the famous Grey and white stripes with Boston and Albany on the locos and cars instead of New York Central System. There were plenty of RDCs with Boston and Albany on them. They eventually were pooled together when the MBTA took over commuter operations. I rode on a few of the commuter cars and RDCs in and out of Boston on the Haverhill line (now the line to Portland Maine) during the 1980s. Anyway, they became a subsidiary of the NYC in 1885, but continued as a wholly-owned independent subsidiary which would explain the similar paint scheme but different name.

Good luck and take your time. The end results will be worth it in the end. :)

John

Scott,

I hope your classes and finals went well. This of course is more important than Trainz stuff, although we sometimes beg to differ! :D

I agree, how does Jim do that? I've done only a tiny bit for myself, and boy oh boy was I done in by the little bit I did. It took me so long even with professional graphics programs!

Are you using a program that has layers such as Canvas or Paint Shop Pro? This will save a lot of time reskinning since the base unit is there and all you're changing is the base elements, but still it is time consuming and to me too painful.

The Boston and Albany had New York Central paint at the end of their life, just before Penn Central took over. I vaguely remember seeing the famous Grey and white stripes with Boston and Albany on the locos and cars instead of New York Central System. There were plenty of RDCs with Boston and Albany on them. They eventually were pooled together when the MBTA took over commuter operations. I rode on a few of the commuter cars and RDCs in and out of Boston on the Haverhill line (now the line to Portland Maine) during the 1980s. Anyway, they became a subsidiary of the NYC in 1885, but continued as a wholly-owned independent subsidiary which would explain the similar paint scheme but different name.

Good luck and take your time. The end results will be worth it in the end. :)

John

Thanks, John! Final grade of a B+ in Macroeconomics and an A in Public Speaking, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm using Photoshop CS5, so yes, everything has been layered, and I can "cheat" where the black locos all have the same basic skin, with just the striping being different, and likewise for the grays. I'm busy learning 3ds Max right now, so I'm taking a little break from the reskinning right now.

Thanks, John! Final grade of a B+ in Macroeconomics and an A in Public Speaking, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm using Photoshop CS5, so yes, everything has been layered, and I can "cheat" where the black locos all have the same basic skin, with just the striping being different, and likewise for the grays. I'm busy learning 3ds Max right now, so I'm taking a little break from the reskinning right now.

Congratulations on the grades. Keep up the great work. I went back to school full-time for 1 year in 2009-2010. It was the best time of my life. I maintained a 3.89 GPA without even trying. It was just me, I suppose because I loved every minute of it. Sadly, my lovely governor, Mitt Romney, decided that money spent on education for unemployed people wasn't worth it, and cut the state's portion of the benefit. I got a call in March 2010 with a notification that all of my benefits had been canceled. Nice guy, and I'm glad he didn't make it as President!

Anyway, have fun in the 3d world. I've done a little bit of modeling too in the past but long before 3ds Max. I used 3ds 4.0 for DOS, which was much better in so many ways. I made a building for Trainz in DAX studio which my brother helped me reskin and export out to Trainz format through GMax. This is the small strip mall with the orange roof. It's now built-in which makes me proud. :) My other non-train related models include some industrial buildings (too big for Trainz), and some circuit boards. The circuit boards were for an animated training program on PL-controlled industrial equipment.

John

Back