Crook gives up 1989 Corvette, in storage space 23 years

HenryScotts

In 1989 a brand new Chevrolet Corvette was thieved off a dealer's lot. Twenty-three years later, it was recovered with just 67 miles on the odometer. The mint-condition booty sold for about its initial sticker price. Have you been in the market to purchase or sell a used or new Spokane Ford Escape? If this seems like you, see Gus Johnson Ford Spokane WA.

Immigrant feeling pressure

The Corvette was stolen off the lot by an Irish immigrant in California. He was with “associates” who were crime members he knew. They forced him to do the job and called him annually after the vehicle was put in storage to make sure he was still safe.

And there it sat for nearly a quarter of a century. In 1989 the storage fee was only $50 a month. By 2012, however, the rent had escalated to $300 a month.

If the crook had bought the vehicle with a Bankrate auto loan, he would have paid less than the $70,000 he has paid in storage charges over the years. The thief decided to contact a lawyer with his options now that he had wasted so much money and was back in Ireland.

He was not prosecuted since the statute of limitations passed on the crime.

Car found in great condition

The San Diego police went to uncover the vehicle that had a cost tag on saying $39,410 still. The odometer read 67 miles, making it a really good 1989 Corvette. It did have dust all over it and flat tires, but it was in great condition.

To Get The Ultimate Price For A Pre-Owned Car, Van, Truck or SUV Consult Gus Johnson Cars Without Delay

Changing hands, finally

The 'Vette was sold to an automobile wholesaler who in turn sold it to Corky Rice, a used car dealer in Glendale, Calif. Rice posted the car for sale on e-Bay, telling it is unlikely-but-true tale. It garnered a ton of interest, such as an article in the Los Angeles Times.

Mike Robertson said the car was "like time capsuling an automobile for myself ... it was just a fantasy. But I believed I'd take a shot at seeing if I could get it." He saw the LA Times piece before finding it.

Robertson offered the original sticker cost on the vehicle, but it actually wound up costing him just a little more at $39,471 to get the automobile.

Hello, open road

The new car will not just sit around for a long time. The new owner promised to drive it around everywhere now that he has the new vehicle.

Sources

AOL Autos
All Voices
Top Speed

Back