Creating Displacements in Photoshop

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Unless I am going to make a map that only has flat terrain, I always create my hills, valleys, rivers, lakes, etc. in Photoshop as a Surveyor Displacement.

I will try and make a tutorial to help those unfamiliar with this process. I am using Photoshop 5.5 and TRS 2006.

The first thing you need to do is create a new file in Photoshop. Make sure you create the file in the size of the map you will be working on. I use 1 inch equals 1 square board. And keep this in mind when you are designing your terrain. You will be "drawing" your landscape from several miles up! I realize that if some of you want to create really BIG maps, say 50 boards by 70, the photoshop file will end up being really large, but we will size it down later.

For this tutorial, I am making an Island, but you can see as we progress how you could use the method here to make just rivers, valleys and hills.

Start by creating a new file. Since I am making an island, I am making it 20 x 20 inches, with a resolution of 72. Also, I will be sizing it down a bit later, but it's always easier to work in a large window. Here is how the new file window should look:

1New.jpg

NOTE! Make sure you create this file in GRAYSCALE.

Now, when you have your new window open, we are going to start by filling it with a neutral gray shade. This will represent the ocean floor. If you intend to just do terrain with mountains and valleys, this will represent mid-range land.

2New.jpg

Make the Gray Shade around 50. I used 49. Fill your box with this shade. It should look like this:

3New.jpg

Next, we are going to draw the outline of our Big Island. Here's where you use your creative mind! Use the "Lasso Tool" and draw the shape of your Island. I just drew a simple slightly jagged coast, but you might want to add peninsulas, bays, inlets, etc.

4New.jpg

Now we want to fill the interior of our island with a slightly lighter shade of Gray... NOT TOO MUCH! You want a gradual beach when you finish, so just use a few shades lighter. I used 54.

5New.jpg

Okay! We have our island. However, right now it's just a totally FLAT island. We need to add some hills. Since this island is basically round, I am going to put a broad hill right in the center. You'll need to leave the "marching ants" of your lasso still marching so you won't get any hill in the ocean. Select your BRUSH TOOL and select the white color from the pallet. Set the brush opacity to about 35, or you'll make a plateau. Color inside the island where you want your hill. You'll notice if you let up on your mouse button then begin coloring more, the hill will get whiter. The whiter the color, the higher the hill.
Okay, here's how I colored my hill inside my Island:

6New.jpg

If you want to make a river entering into your island, just use the pencil tool and re-select the same color as the ocean (the area surrounding the island) and draw in a small river like so:

7New.jpg

Now comes an important part... we want our island to be smooth from the top of the mountain, all the way down to the beach and into the ocean. Go to the Filter, select "Blur" and "Gaussian Blur." Set it about 2.o pixels and let Photoshop blur your terrain.

8New.jpg

When you're completely satisfied with the colors, go to the "Image"-- "Image Size" and save it down about half of what you originally started with. I started with 20 x 20--- so I saved it 10 x 10. And check to MAKE DOUBLE SURE THE FILE SIZE IS ONLY 72 RESOLUTION!!! Any more, and your Surveyor will lock up! Believe me I know, it's happened to me!

Now you must save your file into the Auran Displacement Folder. Make sure you FLATTEN the terrain, then save it to the Auran Displacement folder. It's located in the "World" "Custom" folder. And don't forget what file name you used! You're all set!

Go to Trainz, Surveyor, and start a new map. Extend your blocks to the size you want. I did mine 10 x 10, but for this example, I used 5 x 5.

Go to Topology--- select the "Advanced" tab. Check to make sure your Terrain file is there! Yep! There's my "Big Island" file! Start at the Northwest corner and select the whole 5 x 5 map... then, make sure the Direction is pointing straight up, and Threshold is about straight up. Now select FILL and your terrain will begin to take shape. If your file is large, you may have time to take a 10 minute break while Surveyor creates your terrain!

9New.jpg

And when it's finished, check your hills:

10New.jpg

If they're not tall enough, push the Threshold a little more and try again.

I liked mine so I began coloring:

(I had some more pix, but I'm limited to 10!)

I hope I didn't leave anything out. If I did, just ask and I'll try to help.

---- David Snow

Very interesting! Just for your informtion, there is a "Surveyor tips and tricks" thread in the surveyors operators and engineers board. Maybe your wonderful tutorials would be better off there?

Very Good, Davesnow, this should be a sticky...!

8) It's interesting how Surveyor, and Photoshop can work together.

Now, when you have your new window open, we are going to start by filling it with a neutral gray shade. This will represent the ocean floor. If you intend to just do terrain with mountains and valleys, this will represent mid-range land.

What/Where is the button to fill the square i cannot find it:confused:

This should be stickied

There should be a fill tool, mine looks like a bucket/can turning over.

Nice. :udrool: Intersting the colors you start with. When I worked with modifying the existing Displacement Maps, I believe somewhere around RGB 130 was elevation 0.

This looks like what I need for some plans I keep starting and stopping.
If I read this right, your sample island was 10x10 baseboards? Just making sure I understand the values used, I normally work in Pixels.

You should see if someone wants to host this on their site.

Just a tip on making the beach a bit more gradual, feather the selection, then there will be a gradual rise from the water rather than a steep beach.
How much to feather I will leave for experimentation :hehe:

Cheers David

Bucket.jpg

It's the Paint Bucket tool.... it may be underneath another tool. Try looking under your EYEDROPPER tool... Just hold down your mouse button over tools that have a little arrow sign and you'll see other hidden tools.

Just a tip on making the beach a bit more gradual, feather the selection, then there will be a gradual rise from the water rather than a steep beach.
How much to feather I will leave for experimentation :hehe:

Cheers David

YES YES! I completely forgot about this! Definitely FEATHER!!!

0099, Dave is using an old version of Photoshop. The Fill Tool on newer versions is grouped with the Gradient Tool. Hold down the right mouse button on the Gradient Tool icon and a fly out menu will open where you can choose the Fill Tool. The keyboard shortcut for both of these is "g".

William

0099, Dave is using an old version of Photoshop. The Fill Tool on newer versions is grouped with the Gradient Tool. Hold down the right mouse button on the Gradient Tool icon and a fly out menu will open where you can choose the Fill Tool. The keyboard shortcut for both of these is "g".

William

Thanks William... Yeah, I got an OLD version of photoshop!:D Guess I need to upgrade! Lol!

And BTW, you can also go to Edit---Fill and it will do the same thing.

Does anyone know the equivalent commands for this tutorial in Paint Shop Pro? I got the first step to work but I'm stumped trying to find the equivalent to the 'lasso tool'.

Bob

Does anyone know the equivalent commands for this tutorial in Paint Shop Pro? I got the first step to work but I'm stumped trying to find the equivalent to the 'lasso tool'.

Bob

Its the freehand selection tool, Under Selection (left side tool box) click the down arrow and click on "Freehand Selection" which give you a lasso symbol on your pointer as well.

Followed this info and works perfectly in PSP (Wife wont let me use her Photoshop for some reason hehe)

Thanks for the tutorial on this, I was alittle lost, but now I see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Cheers

Trent

Back