Crashing with Direct X - Open GL works fine but choppy...

cdgtcc

A little back story - I've spent the last week creating a route, only to have it crash about 23-45 minutes in to the session every time. Spent the week trying to figure out what asset or consist or ANYTHING could be causing it to crash. I finally looked through the error logs...(Something I should have done sooner) and see the DX9 is crashing. I switched to Open GL - and the game ran for over an hour and a half without issues.

However - my only issue with Open GL is its very sluggish anytime a train approaches, where it was smooth as silk with DX. My quick Specs are : Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 4gb ram, 2x ATI 5770's, and a Core 2 Quad 2.66 Ghz. I have even tried disabling the crossfire to see if it crashes, which it still does during the same time frame.

So basically my questions are - is this a known issue? Is there a fix? And if not - are there tweaks to get better Open GL Performance? Thanks in advance!

First thing I would try is a fresh download of DX9.
Is it only crashing on your route or all routes.

From what I've seen - just my route. Although I haven't played any other routes. I left the Harbor Master route up - (I believe that's the name) and idle for awhile, but Im not sure. Ill give a fresh install of DX9 now and see what happens.

A little back story - I've spent the last week creating a route, only to have it crash about 23-45 minutes in to the session every time. Spent the week trying to figure out what asset or consist or ANYTHING could be causing it to crash. I finally looked through the error logs...(Something I should have done sooner) and see the DX9 is crashing. I switched to Open GL - and the game ran for over an hour and a half without issues.

However - my only issue with Open GL is its very sluggish anytime a train approaches, where it was smooth as silk with DX. My quick Specs are : Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 4gb ram, 2x ATI 5770's, and a Core 2 Quad 2.66 Ghz. I have even tried disabling the crossfire to see if it crashes, which it still does during the same time frame.

So basically my questions are - is this a known issue? Is there a fix? And if not - are there tweaks to get better Open GL Performance? Thanks in advance!

Too many assets open for edit, assets with broken/faulty dependencies, etc. can all cause your route to crash. Have you checked in CM for any or all of these.

tomurban

Too many assets open for edit, assets with broken/faulty dependencies, etc. can all cause your route to crash. Have you checked in CM for any or all of these.

tomurban

Ive done the basics of viewing the session and Route in CM - there are no errors and warnings at the route/session level. Is there another way to check that I'm not aware.

Side Note: Reinstall of DX9 didnt resolve the issue. Crashes roughly 35-40 minutes in.

Check the heat level of your machine. The fact that the machine runs for 35-40 miniutes is indicative of this type of issue.

If your video card and CPU get too hot, your machine will first become choppy then crash.

A good memory test wouldn't hurt either. I recommend Memtest86 for this. This is a stress test on your memory and will find errors for you.

I had a similar issue that was caused by a bad DIMM. The machine would freeze only in Driver and only in a particular location on the map. It turned out not to be the location, but the amount of time the machine was running before I got to that part of my map. After the program crashed, and I finally received an actually memory error, I ran memtest86 and found I had a bad DIMM. Up to that point, I was replacing parts like my power supply and reinstalling Trainz to see if that would fix the problem.

John

Check the heat level of your machine. The fact that the machine runs for 35-40 miniutes is indicative of this type of issue.

If your video card and CPU get too hot, your machine will first become choppy then crash.

A good memory test wouldn't hurt either. I recommend Memtest86 for this. This is a stress test on your memory and will find errors for you.

I had a similar issue that was caused by a bad DIMM. The machine would freeze only in Driver and only in a particular location on the map. It turned out not to be the location, but the amount of time the machine was running before I got to that part of my map. After the program crashed, and I finally received an actually memory error, I ran memtest86 and found I had a bad DIMM. Up to that point, I was replacing parts like my power supply and reinstalling Trainz to see if that would fix the problem.

John

I agree with the logic, however I highly doubt heat is the cause. I run the Logitech G15 keyboard with Everest Ultimate displaying CPU usage/temps and GPU usage/temps real time in the kb. None of which seem to get hotter than playing any other game. Also, if it were heat, I would think Open GL would do the same. Something doesn't like DX for some reason. Ill try and do a test and leave another route up in DX for over and hour and see what that does. That'll narrow down if I botched something up or not. Im also going to run my route on another PC i have as well. Well see what happens.

I do agree with the ram thought as well. I may give that a go in a bit too. Let it run overnight. Only reason I second guess is Open GL working.

Last edited:
Ok - So I would have to say this is more route related. Completed separate PC (Different hardware/video/ram motherboard ect) - and the same thing happened - my route crashes under an hour. However - my PC is an hour and 15 minutes in on Harbor Master and still working. I think we can rule out DX being the issue, as its obviously running.

However - what gets me is there isnt alot of content on my route. All I have is tracks, stations, and a few grade crossings. I added some roads and started creating a few hills, & mountains. I have 4 portals, 2 receiving and 2 sending trains from one end to the other...very simple stuff. Im officially all out of ideas...

Ok - So I would have to say this is more route related. Completed separate PC (Different hardware/video/ram motherboard ect) - and the same thing happened - my route crashes under an hour. However - my PC is an hour and 15 minutes in on Harbor Master and still working. I think we can rule out DX being the issue, as its obviously running.

However - what gets me is there isnt alot of content on my route. All I have is tracks, stations, and a few grade crossings. I added some roads and started creating a few hills, & mountains. I have 4 portals, 2 receiving and 2 sending trains from one end to the other...very simple stuff. Im officially all out of ideas...

If it is route related you have something faulty in there. It may be a script error somewhere or an asset with faulty/missing dependencies. These do not show up when you check the asset itself. You need to use the view dependencies option in CM.

tomurban

If it is route related you have something faulty in there. It may be a script error somewhere or an asset with faulty/missing dependencies. These do not show up when you check the asset itself. You need to use the view dependencies option in CM.

tomurban

I have done this, unless there is something I am missing. I have pulled the route - Right click, view Dependencies. No errors, nothing broken...

Try changing the portals, the HP ones seem ok in 2010, no crashing.

I have tried the HP Ones - they still crash as well... :/

If it happens at roughly the same time into the session, what happens at that time. Passengers loading, industry loading coal, portal spawning a consist ?
Something is triggering the crash.
Not got some exotic industry you've downloaded ?
I had something similar in 2006 and used the in game save option prior to when it crashed, came out of session, back into session and it stopped crashing.

If it happens at roughly the same time into the session, what happens at that time. Passengers loading, industry loading coal, portal spawning a consist ?
Something is triggering the crash.
Not got some exotic industry you've downloaded ?
I had something similar in 2006 and used the in game save option prior to when it crashed, came out of session, back into session and it stopped crashing.

This is what Ive been trying to figure out for the past week or so now. Something I havent been able to put my finger on...I thought it was portals but doesnt seem to be the case as Ive removed them/tried different ones and it still crashes. The only thing I have in my route are some grade crossings, some highways, a few passenger stations. Ill try the save trick and see what happens.

All the stations the same type, same with the crossings etc.
You could try removing all of 1 specific type 1 at a time and run a session, if no crash replace. Then remove another and repeat until you find the cause. It's long winded but a matter of deduction until the cause is found.
Is the rolling stock built in or downloaded, if so pull the downloaded stuff out and put in 1 consist at a time.
Just a thought, what does the jetlog report say ?

Is your trainz screen resolution the native one or have you got it as high as it will go ?

All the stations the same type, same with the crossings etc.
You could try removing all of 1 specific type 1 at a time and run a session, if no crash replace. Then remove another and repeat until you find the cause. It's long winded but a matter of deduction until the cause is found.
Is the rolling stock built in or downloaded, if so pull the downloaded stuff out and put in 1 consist at a time.
Just a thought, what does the jetlog report say ?

Ill have to give this a go as well. Also - whats jetlog?

Is your trainz screen resolution the native one or have you got it as high as it will go ?

Native resolution of the monitor 1680 x 1050 (I think thats it)

Ill have to give this a go as well. Also - whats jetlog?

In the trainz folder there is a jetlog file, might give a clue. Does the red dot (right lower of the screen) come on when your in session.

Native resolution of the monitor 1680 x 1050 (I think thats it)

In start/control panel, open the ATI bit up and check display,change resolution. One of the screen sizes may have native by the side of it. Thats the one you want to use.

Back