CPU Temperature

nimec

Does anyone know a way of displaying the CPU core temp 'Always on top' so that it is visible and can be monitored while running Trains, similar to frame rates? Cheers

You might also want to monitor your GPU temperature also as the graphics engine take a beating with Trainz.

Bill

You might also want to monitor your GPU temperature also as the graphics engine take a beating with Trainz.

Bill

Good point. TANE is wicked on my 780Ti even with full case fans blowing and GPU fan set to full speed. TS12 isn't quite as bad, except for on my Alienware laptop where I use a laptop cooler. On my desktop I have the EVGA GTX780Ti video card, which comes with their PrecisionX utility. PrecisionX allows adjustments for overclocking which I don't do, and only use it for adjusting the fan speed.

John

Both CPU and GPU meter downloads tell me "connection timed out". There is a link trying to connect to a page on AVG.com that fails.

Bill

I would definitely NOT recommend installing this software. No matter where you download it from, both my Malware (MalwareBytesPro) and antivirus software alert immediately. MalwareBytes alerted when attempting to download and then as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) before it installs. I created a virtual machine and went ahead and installed the CPU Meter. It hijacked my browser home page, set ASK.com as the search engine (which I detest), and immediately "warned" me that I had several viruses that could be removed for xx bucks.

This is really horrible software and one should be aware of this.

Bill

I would definitely NOT recommend installing this software. No matter where you download it from, both my Malware (MalwareBytesPro) and antivirus software alert immediately. MalwareBytes alerted when attempting to download and then as a PUP (potentially unwanted program) before it installs. I created a virtual machine and went ahead and installed the CPU Meter. It hijacked my browser home page, set ASK.com as the search engine (which I detest), and immediately "warned" me that I had several viruses that could be removed for xx bucks.

This is really horrible software and one should be aware of this.

Bill

I've been running it for years with no problems, sounds like your install came from a dodgy source with 'added extras' which is why I initially said to download it direct from the Addgadgets site.

There are a lot of positive reviews on the net about this software.

However if the OP is worried there are alternatives (which I can't speak for), I have 'no axe to grind' on this matter.

Three different places: CNET (which is a known purveyor of malware add-ons), Softpedia (downloaded fine, but MalwareBytes kicked up a storm over it), and TechRadar.com (my Emsisoft raised a flag stating the entire site was a known malware host). So, draw your own conclusions everyone.

Our chat is kind of off-topic from the OP and to get it back on track, there is a CPU temperature monitor over on RealTemp ( http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ ) that looks much better to me.

Bill

Three different places: CNET (which is a known purveyor of malware add-ons), Softpedia (downloaded fine, but MalwareBytes kicked up a storm over it), and TechRadar.com (my Emsisoft raised a flag stating the entire site was a known malware host). So, draw your own conclusions everyone.

Our chat is kind of off-topic from the OP and to get it back on track, there is a CPU temperature monitor over on RealTemp ( http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ ) that looks much better to me.

Bill

Thank you, Bill for reporting this to us. I make recommendations all the time for utilities and do take note of obnoxious sites. I recently lost some downloads which I downloaded a few years ago, and ended up downloading some malware. Malwarebytes did the same for these sites. Sadly, I can't recall offhand what these sites are so I hope I don't end up there again looking for something else.

HWMonitor is also another good one. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html . (The download link is in the right side column beside the main picture - either as an .exe or .zip, don't be misled by all the adverts with "Download Now" thanks to google !!). It also displays GPU temp and fan speeds.
Only other one similar to Real Temp (just gives CPU temp) I know of is one called "Core Temp" which is quite accurate.

Further on this topic - any views about ballpark figures for 'reasonable' temperatures for CPUs and GPUs running Trainz? I've seen both get up to over 80 degrees C on my system after running the game for some time. Is that good or bad?

Paul

I've been using a little freeware utility called TThrottle for the past year, no problems with it so far.

It continuously monitors the temperatures of both the CPU (gives a reading for each core) and GPU and displays them in a small 'on top' panel which you can drag to any part of your screen. Can also be set up to control temperatures, but I haven't used it for that.

I got it from CNET. Can't recall any problems with unwanted malware or browser hijacks from this, but the usual cautions apply.

Regarding 'normal' temperatures, each CPU and GPU has its own maximum recommended value which you should look up. My experience has been that the GPU's run a good deal hotter than the CPU's and it is normal for them to do that. My now-ancient GTX580 GPU runs perfectly well at about 86C and Intel Core i7 CPU's at 45-55C when under load in a graphics-heavy game like Far Cry. I would not be surprised if T:ANE was similar.

Last edited:
Further on this topic - any views about ballpark figures for 'reasonable' temperatures for CPUs and GPUs running Trainz? I've seen both get up to over 80 degrees C on my system after running the game for some time. Is that good or bad?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've seen pretty high temps, similar to yours with TANE CE, but TS12 runs in the normal 50C range. Running at the high temps all the time, isn't good for the hardware I would think. I used the PrecisionX utility supplied by EVGA to increase my fan speed. This brought the temperature down to a more reasonable 60C range when running TANE CE.

John

All transistor based electronics need to be warm to run at peek efficiency but you need to control the heat at which an item performs at its best and it is often hotter than you think. In electronics the is a thing called thermal runaway were both performance and heat can not be controlled and the chips works themself to death.

Getting rid of and controlling heat can be an issue and often case and motherboard manufacturers over engineer the cooling.

Having a processor to cold is a bad as to hot - it needs to be in its ideal temperature range to work at peek efficiency and extend its life.

Most manufactures of the chips will list one temperature spec at which there processor are designed to run - note this at not a range but one temp.

And yes setting a computer so the CPU will always run at it optimum temp is almost like well rocket engineering

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/index.php?pageid=CPUtemperatures

Last edited:
I've been using one called atMonitor on the iMac. CUT normally is around 100f degrees.. When running Trainz it goes up to about 110f degrees. When running heavy duty graphics processing it'll jump up to 120f degrees.

Last edited:
Back