Copy and Paste working ok in SP2?

Greetings Surveyors,

I moved up to TANE SP2 from TRS2010 recently, and am in the early stages of building my first large new route in TANE. I intend to use the Select Area function (set to objects only) and then Paste Area to start laying lineside foliage and it isn't working well.

The area I copied from is at a lower elevation than the area I tried testing the Paste function at, and the paste itself seemed to work, but all the objects were added to the route at their original (much lower) altitude, instead of assuming the ground level where I pasted them. With textures off I can see them way down there underground, presumably at the same altitude they were copied from.

I searched the forum and found some bug reports from earlier TANE versions, but couldn't find a simple solution. Have I just got a setting wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure to deselect "Copy Height" from the 4 choices right below the selection/paste boxes.

I believe they are in order - copy height, copy textures, copy objects, copy track. You need to deselect the 1st and last as they are all selected by default.

There are some other nifty options in there too now such as a replacement paste like we had before, as well as an additive-type paste (I can't think of the terminology in the program because I'm not at my Trainzing computer right now). The latter type of pasting option is quite nice for adding in trees on top of underbrush, and other details.

Make sure to deselect "Copy Height" from the 4 choices right below the selection/paste boxes.

Yes, I did that, that's what I meant by "(set to objects only)" in the original post. The two buttons John Citron mentioned for "replace" or "add" in the paste process have both been tried as well. I tried it fresh when I got up this morning, and the result is exactly the same - I can see the pasted objects way underground, not at the ground level where I pasted them.

I am wondering if this is .gnd file related with this specific route. The groundfile was created in TransDEM and TRS2010 (because both programs are on a separate computer), then imported into TANE using the standard method. Also, copy/paste works fine on my other routes I brought over from TRS2010 as I also tested it under similiar altitude conditions on another really large created route. It must be this particular route.

Annoying. Crafting foliage by hand on a 300 km route will take......................... I can't even work that one out.

Yes, I did that, that's what I meant by "(set to objects only)" in the original post. The two buttons John Citron mentioned for "replace" or "add" in the paste process have both been tried as well. I tried it fresh when I got up this morning, and the result is exactly the same - I can see the pasted objects way underground, not at the ground level where I pasted them.

I am wondering if this is .gnd file related with this specific route. The groundfile was created in TransDEM and TRS2010 (because both programs are on a separate computer), then imported into TANE using the standard method. Also, copy/paste works fine on my other routes I brought over from TRS2010 as I also tested it under similiar altitude conditions on another really large created route. It must be this particular route.

Annoying. Crafting foliage by hand on a 300 km route will take......................... I can't even work that one out.

That sounds like something is bugged like the world origin.

What T:ANE version are you using? There was something wrong with the world origin and heights, but I can't remember if it was one of the beta versions now, or 90945/55.

What T:ANE version are you using? There was something wrong with the world origin and heights, but I can't remember if it was one of the beta versions now, or 90945/55.

Hi John, I hope you are well at the moment ! 90945 is the current build number.

I am running out of time today, and will confirm a solution has been found tomorrow hopefully.

But according to your reply I played around with the world origin a little bit, and some progress has been made. It seems that the location I was copying from was not to the liking of the Copy/Paste function. I reset the World Origin to a new location and added a correct altitude, then threw together another foliage template area to copy from up in the hills on the terrain. Copy/Paste works as advertised from this location.

The original location I used for the foliage template was on an added baseboard at zero altitude, and it didn't work as stated. Weird.

Will confirm the fix tomorrow hopefully when I get some more Trainz time.

Thanks for the tip John, you are a legend.

Last edited:

Hi John, unfortunately my optimism was premature, the copy/paste problem is not solved. I only had a few minutes with it yesterday and thought things were looking up. Nope.

After further attempts today, no measure has cured it so far. Changing copy zone location and assets, moving the W-O around here and there, different settings etc etc. Nothing worked, even deleting the World Origin completely still won't allow copied assets to assume the ground level. If I add the same assets manually using the normal point-and-click method, they assume ground level as normal, they only fail to do so when using the paste function.

Anyway, I am thinking to wait until after SP3 comes out to see if it cures whatever is creating the issue. The other possibility is that it might be something to do with how TransDEM wrote the ground file or something, I just can't figure this one out.

And if SP3 doesn't fix it, I guess I will have to use splines a lot more and do it manually. Patience is a virtue I suppose. Thanks for your input anyways, it's always appreciated.

A71

Back