Config Files

Mickaleen

Hi

Is there an up todate tutorial on the construction of Config Files?
I have read the Content Creators Guide but the Down load references containing a PDF description are not available!

Any help the community could give would be appreciated.

Regards
Mick

Hi

Is there an up todate tutorial on the construction of Config Files?
I have read the Content Creators Guide but the Down load references containing a PDF description are not available!

Any help the community could give would be appreciated.

Regards
Mick

What are you trying to do? TRS2006 or 2004?

Cheerio John

Where to find CCG?

Where can I find the CCG? Are there other online documents not mentioned in the manual bundled with TRS2006?

What are you trying to do? TRS2006 or 2004?

Cheerio John
Hi John

I am trying to see how it works by looking at examples that the Content Creators Guide say should be available.
I have looked at One or two Config Files made by up loaders.
The ones I have been looking at do not match those in the Content Creators Guide. eg:-the order of constructing the Config files varies from one up loader to another.
In fact those up loaders models show up in CMP as having errors both in text and incorrect textures!

Mick

Hi John

I am trying to see how it works by looking at examples that the Content Creators Guide say should be available.
I have looked at One or two Config Files made by up loaders.
The ones I have been looking at do not match those in the Content Creators Guide. eg:-the order of constructing the Config files varies from one up loader to another.
In fact those up loaders models show up in CMP as having errors both in text and incorrect textures!

Mick

Config.txt files can be simple or complex they are a bit open ended. Very few creations for TRS2004 and earlier are completely correct to achive what the creator wanted or document what could be documented. TRS2006 at least tries to identify the common problems. There was a project to list the corrections needed to config.txt in a database perhaps some one could drop in the link.

If it's a scenery item the config.txt is simple and probably OK but get into the world of extensions and it gets interesting. Remember that things like NumberIt were not created by Auran but are a user created extension. Have a look at the config.txt in KUID2: 217096:30008:2 for example which is a Bob Sander rekin of one of my meshes. No where in one place is there a description of everything that is in there. Bluestar is an interesting example, it was developed by an end user and included in TRS2006.

If I'm creating content then usually copy some one else's config.txt file then edit it. I not only copy the config.txt I also copy files structures and scripts.

I like to think that most of my items on the DLS are correct and there probably well over 1,000 on there that I've been involved in the config.txt file some under my name and some under other people's names.

The textures are identified to Trainz in the .im or .pm files not the config.txt.

Trainz works by keywords so often the order is not important except within a key. The current CCG (Content Creator Guide) for TRS2006 is now available but is beta until it has been checked for errors. I find that the CCG for TRS2004 and TRS2006 can be useful in identifying errors and sorting things out. Some times though I have to read them through several times to get the sense and I suspect there are some conflicts in there.

There is also the Wiki which often can be more upto date than the CCG.

Cheerio John

Config.txt files can be simple or complex they are a bit open ended. Very few creations for TRS2004 and earlier are completely correct to achive what the creator wanted or document what could be documented. TRS2006 at least tries to identify the common problems. There was a project to list the corrections needed to config.txt in a database perhaps some one could drop in the link.

If it's a scenery item the config.txt is simple and probably OK but get into the world of extensions and it gets interesting. Remember that things like NumberIt were not created by Auran but are a user created extension. Have a look at the config.txt in KUID2: 217096:30008:2 for example which is a Bob Sander rekin of one of my meshes. No where in one place is there a description of everything that is in there. Bluestar is an interesting example, it was developed by an end user and included in TRS2006.

If I'm creating content then usually copy some one else's config.txt file then edit it. I not only copy the config.txt I also copy files structures and scripts.

I like to think that most of my items on the DLS are correct and there probably well over 1,000 on there that I've been involved in the config.txt file some under my name and some under other people's names.

The textures are identified to Trainz in the .im or .pm files not the config.txt.

Trainz works by keywords so often the order is not important except within a key. The current CCG (Content Creator Guide) for TRS2006 is now available but is beta until it has been checked for errors. I find that the CCG for TRS2004 and TRS2006 can be useful in identifying errors and sorting things out. Some times though I have to read them through several times to get the sense and I suspect there are some conflicts in there.

There is also the Wiki which often can be more upto date than the CCG.

Cheerio John

Hi John

I thank you and all for your thoughts and help.
I am still a bit mystified by it all. I find it hard to understand how you need over 400 pages of Content Creators Guide just for a game.

Regards
Mick

I find it hard to understand how you need over 400 pages of Content Creators Guide just for a game.
It's a very complex game. And there's still information missing in those 400 pages. And of course there are the scripting help files as well... You are trying to simulate the whole world after all.

Paul

Mickaleen,
I don't call Trainz a game. To me, a game has scoring or an end goal and has an end point. Trainz doesn't have any of those features. It just goes on and on and on and .........:rolleyes:

Bob

Hi John

I thank you and all for your thoughts and help.
I am still a bit mystified by it all. I find it hard to understand how you need over 400 pages of Content Creators Guide just for a game.

Regards
Mick

Trouble is it's open ended and by the time you get a group of programmers who say it would be really neat if... then my beta testers who always say yea it's sort of OK but what we'd really like is.....

That's when the fun starts. It is much more complex than a normal game, it's a simulator which is different, it simulates things.

Cheerio John

Trouble is it's open ended and by the time you get a group of programmers who say it would be really neat if... then my beta testers who always say yea it's sort of OK but what we'd really like is.....

That's when the fun starts. It is much more complex than a normal game, it's a simulator which is different, it simulates things.

Cheerio John

Hi John

Thank you for your views and the trouble you have all taken to help me.

Regards

Mick

Back