Community Forums...an Idea

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
In recent times I have been meandering around various community forums that are out there for different trainz groups and have noticed that allot of them seem kinda (just a little) slow. generally the number of people visiting them is low, the number of posts are low, etc, etc. And so I came up with the idea for what I'm currently calling Trainz Community Forums.

Basically this forum would be set up so that a small tranz group (say 2-3 members, or more) wants to have a forum for technical support, contacting members, etc but doesn't really have the know-how or the need to have a full forum for them. This forum would allow them to have a section set aside for them (which they could moderate) along with some general areas (where they can't moderate) that would include sub-forums for: General Trainz talk, Railroading chit chat, General board announcement, etc. the registering group's moderators would have access to a special section where they can request to have sub-categories added, themes (that they made) added, members turned into moderators, etc.

I have already talked to a couple trainz members and they thought it was a great idea; I would now like to know what the rest of the community thought and an idea of what the demand for this is (in other words if you want in on the project, let me know here)

I am still working out the details of how all the parts will work out but I hope the outcome of my inquiries here are positive.

peter

I'm a little lost but I figure that's because I usually get what I need from some forum somewhere.
Is this for people who create that are not on teams and don't have their own forum/site?

There are a lot of trainz related forums out there....If you want to start another, that's your business. If it fills a need that is not being filled by the others, then it should work....the question would be, does the Trainz community need another forum...?

There are a lot of trainz related forums out there....If you want to start another, that's your business. If it fills a need that is not being filled by the others, then it should work....the question would be, does the Trainz community need another forum...?

Thats kinda the idea i was going for. to make it so that the trainz community doesn't have to have hundreds of forums out there. I was hoping maybe some would move their forum into mine; and maybe get some new ones incorporated.

peter

Aren't we posting to the type of Forum you're describing right now ? Why another ? :confused:
Certainly you don't think this one could crash or otherwise go away,, do you ?

Thats kinda the idea i was going for. to make it so that the trainz community doesn't have to have hundreds of forums out there. I was hoping maybe some would move their forum into mine; and maybe get some new ones incorporated.

peter

"If you build it, they will come" - Field Of Dreams.
Create your forum and see who shows up. 'Nuff said.

I don't think it is a good idea to rely too much on one forum, the crash showed that. I understand wanting everything in one place, but I would like a backup. I think some of those other forums are fine for that plus some people who don't like certain things about how this one is run can do what they want on their own forums and get whatever out of their systems.

Now if teams start becoming like real railroads and merging :p , then you'll see less of those forums, but I don't see them going away.

Maybe you should propose a merger?

I think in the world of software teams above 10-15 get a bit unwieldy and I suspect the same might be said of Trainz groups as well.

There is always the main forum to fall back on and the big forums such as TPR and the UK forum so I think the need if you like is for almost two types of forum one about the 10-15 user level and larger one that can tackle problems at a deeper level.

Cheerio John

Back