Chicago & North Western F7 Set in the Works

wilh

Off the Deep End
Alright, I decided to can my Adirondack Scenic unit and decide to make a C&NW F-Unit, only to find 6 different variations, 5 of which I will be doing (sorry the one that got left out is the early scheme). I still need to do one with black grilles, one without the green stripe and one in Zeto Yellow and Green.
1. Silver Grilles with Green Stripe, Logo on nose only, lettering on side
7916684816_13d940c47c_b.jpg

2. Silver Grilles with Green Stripe, Logo on nose and side
7916685702_dedd8e417e_b.jpg

What happened on the front? Now i'll just have to download yours and sniper's and see which is better.

Heritic! Infidel! Sacreligious Heathen!

If you're gonna leave one out, that Zito yellow should be trashed before any of the others. That color was a sin. :hehe:

Know what you mean about all the different paint schemes, F7s starting on page 9:

http://www.cnwhs.org/memberphotos/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=9

I don't think they ever painted any two alike.

Nose bell, if you're skinning the default Auran F7 you'd need an attachment plug over the lens since there's a single texture for both headlights - meaning if you painted a bell on one you'd have upper and lower bells.

FWIW anyone who wants to use mine as the base for reskinning is welcome, it's essentially the default Auran F7 with a better cabview and 3 exterior attachment points for head out views, plus Justin's automatic running numbers.

It's about time my crappy Paintshed one got taken out back behind the shed and... "retired" :eek:

Anyhow, those look excellent. Which version(s) are these compatible with?

If you're gonna leave one out, that Zito yellow should be trashed before any of the others. That color was a sin. :hehe:

Know what you mean about all the different paint schemes, F7s starting on page 9:

http://www.cnwhs.org/memberphotos/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=9

I don't think they ever painted any two alike.

Nose bell, if you're skinning the default Auran F7 you'd need an attachment plug over the lens since there's a single texture for both headlights - meaning if you painted a bell on one you'd have upper and lower bells.

FWIW anyone who wants to use mine as the base for reskinning is welcome, it's essentially the default Auran F7 with a better cabview and 3 exterior attachment points for head out views, plus Justin's automatic running numbers.
I wonder how hard it'd be to make a bell in sketchup (don't hate I'm learning small and going bigger)

I wonder how hard it'd be to make a bell in sketchup (don't hate I'm learning small and going bigger)

Um, Probably not hard, but be careful of the poly count...

and yes, the bell CAN be hung where the top light is..

AND, The top light can be shut off....Permanently

"Mad scientist style laughter is heard"......

(PM sent to Wilh)

(Edit : Which also means that the NJ Transit units can be retro fitted seeing as a lot of them were ex CNW unts)

Also, the starting small and working your way up? Smart sir, I salute you!

Last edited:
Anyhow, those look excellent. Which version(s) are these compatible with?
They are compatible with 04 as well as 12. (So, I assume 09 and 10 as well).

@Boyerm25: That weird shaded area is the shadowing, I don't really know why the shadows are doing that.

As a side note, I found about 2 to 3 more variations, so this will be a rather large set when done.

Last edited:
Here are two more versions. I still have to do the one without the green stripe, and the Zeto Yellow and Green one.
3. Same as Version 2, but with black grilles
7921439534_927816e77f_b.jpg

4. Same as Version 3, but with a repositioned side logo, and white numberboards
7921440210_d7d37ae9ce_b.jpg

Back