Can I trust trainz forge?

tangerine

I'm about to download the tf f7 dependencies and track pack, however they are both too big to be scanned for viruses by google drives. Has anyone had problems with trainz forge (in terms malware/viruses) , and are there any precautions to take, or can I waltz in without worry.

I'm about to download the tf f7 dependencies and track pack, however they are both too big to be scanned for viruses by google drives. Has anyone had problems with trainz forge (in terms malware/viruses) , and are there any precautions to take, or can I waltz in without worry.

I think this is one site you can download from without any worries. I certainly would be comfortable downloading from them.

Cheerio John

I don't see why you wouldn't, TrainzForge is a very involved site with many good relations with others. The files are only large because they have lots of assets.

I have almost all they have . And payware also . Haven't had any issues . Plus the crew is vary active on the forum . So you could ask directly to them to discuss your concerns .

Matt

I have always been of the belief that .cdp files contain no executables (.exe, .xls or .com files) and any .gs (Trainz script) files that may be present can only access the Trainz database. So viruses are not a problem. Even the .html files that may be present in an asset have a very limited subset of full HTML, so malware is also not a problem.

I suspect that you are at a greater risk of missing dependencies and/or faulty assets than viruses.

My opinions anyway.

No worries here either and I'm pretty paranoid about that stuff as well.

The warning message actually comes from Google because the files are above a certain size.

Your computer system, meaning Windows in your case I'm assuming, will initiate a virus scan once the CDP files are open anyway. This is the job that real-time scanning is supposed to do in Windows Defender or whatever else you are using for your antivirus. In my nearly 19 years of Trainzing, I have never run into malware inserted into a CDP.

No worries here either and I'm pretty paranoid about that stuff as well.

The warning message actually comes from Google because the files are above a certain size.

Your computer system, meaning Windows in your case I'm assuming, will initiate a virus scan once the CDP files are open anyway. This is the job that real-time scanning is supposed to do in Windows Defender or whatever else you are using for your antivirus. In my nearly 19 years of Trainzing, I have never run into malware inserted into a CDP.

A .cdp file is a data file not an executable so it is practically impossible to carry Malware in it. ie I can't think how you'd do it and after fifty years messing around with computer security including a spell at a university where the computer science whatevers thought it was fun to attack the operating system and got fairly creative I'd have probably have seen it somewhere before if it existed.

Cheerio John

Back