Can I Add Scanned Items to Route Later?

O

Orloldman

Please excuse the lack of a location, or number of posts for me, etc. The Help Desk should be working on it.

I am just starting to get to know TS2010 and am developing my own route to work on.

I would like to model a specific region circa 1880-1900 and I will be using Transdem for mapping and elevations. The vector raster maps that I have been able to gather are dated from the early 1970s and the majority railroad right of ways shown on those maps are basicly the same ones that existed at the turn of the century in this area.

Where I have a challenge is that, as the cities at each end of the route grew, the stations were moved or eliminated and the tracks rerouted. Finding accurate city maps from back then that show where the stations were, and how the tracks were laid out, is going to take me a little while longer to find.

I would like to go ahead and get started, processing the information that I have now, getting the basic track down and learning TS2010 in the process.

My question: Will I be able to pull scanned objects into my Trainz layout at a later date? For example, I find a section of a city map that I need (just the layout of the streets/tracks, etc), will I be able to scan that map and some how insert it into my existing layout to use as a reference for roads/tracks/buildings? Any special challenges in trying to do such a thing?

Any feedback is appreciated.

In theory you should be able to. However i've never done a prototypical route but I do know you can place a map onto a large flat plane which is a scenery item which you can add ontop of the baseboard without interfering with anything else..

Is this what you mean?

How are you doing it at present?

Orloldman,

I have made a set of basemaps that can be used for that purpose, they are
720x720m (baseboard size) if you can contact me via pm or e-mail with your contact details I will forward them.
They have not been uploaded to the Dls but it looks like there is a need for them so I will upload them aswell.

This a screenshot of it;
basemap.jpg

Cheers,

Bill.

G'day Orloldman,

Before you take up Willem2's most kind offer, you might want to look through the excellent instructions/tutorials that accompany TransDEM. If you do, you will find that it ALREADY HAS this capability (built-in)...

...look under UTM tiles...

Jerker {:)}

I'm not sure that the TransDEM tutorial quite answers the question.

Thinking out loud, in order me for to add a UTM tile at a later date through TransDEM, I would have to be able to alter a geoTIFF, yes?

I will probably find the map information I am looking for in a printed book/magazine/doc. I would scan it into my computer. I would then open my original geoTIFF in Photoshop(?), add the new scanned piece into the image and resave the geoTIFF (as a TIFF?).

I can then open my altered geoTiff in TransDEM without issues?

I want one of those !!

Hi Willem2,

I am just about to start building a 'real location' route and have been starting to work with the 1km basemaps but am more interested in your baseboard sized version. Do you know how seen these will be on the DLS or could I be cheeky and get them from you by e-mail please? ;)

Thanks in advance, Andy

Hi Andy,

Send me an e-mail or pm that will be fine.

I will try and upload soooooooon. :hehe: :hehe:

Cheers,

Bill.

Figured It Out

After playing with TransDem, I figured out that I can overlay any additions onto Google Maps. This way I can move the scans around and scale them properly. I can then pull the Google map piece in through TransDEM to Trainz.

Willem2, thanks for the offer. As soon as the Helpdesk gets my account fixed so that PMs work, etc., I'll be bugging you for a copy as I see some good uses for that.

Willem2, thanks for the offer. As soon as the Helpdesk gets my account fixed so that PMs work, etc., I'll be bugging you for a copy as I see some good uses for that.

Hi Orloldman,

if you want to you can send a email to;< removed and it is in my profile>

I'm sure you know what to do, I will edit the address after hearing from you.

Cheers,

Bill.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the TransDEM tutorial quite answers the question.

Thinking out loud, in order me for to add a UTM tile at a later date through TransDEM, I would have to be able to alter a geoTIFF, yes?

TransDEM can paint to UTM tiles whatever map sources you load. There is no need to modify any of your existing georeferenced data of your TransDEM project. Just add the new sources.

Then create new UTM tiles and add them to your route. This can be accomplished automatically if TransDEM is able to read the route files as exported by CMP (and above).

This may not work with TS2010 yet, though, due to some possible file format changes between TS2009 and TS2010. You will still able to place new UTM tiles manually. They will fit in scale and the corner coordinates will fit to the 1000 m UTM grid (the basic idea behind UTM tiles in TransDEM).

. . .
Where I have a challenge is that, as the cities at each end of the route grew, the stations were moved or eliminated and the tracks rerouted. Finding accurate city maps from back then that show where the stations were, and how the tracks were laid out, is going to take me a little while longer to find.

I would like to go ahead and get started, processing the information that I have now, getting the basic track down and learning TS2010 in the process.

My question: Will I be able to pull scanned objects into my Trainz layout at a later date? For example, I find a section of a city map that I need (just the layout of the streets/tracks, etc), will I be able to scan that map and some how insert it into my existing layout to use as a reference for roads/tracks/buildings? Any special challenges in trying to do such a thing?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Oroldman,

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the US, this might be of interest.

i have successfully completed a route for the 1890 - 1910 era. A friend created the DEM for me along with the railroutes and streets marked in various colors. I located period maps at http://www.historicmapworks.com. I found that most of the street locations did not change over the years and was able to recreate the correct trackage on my route from these old maps. It was my primary resource for route location. Some of the maps I found also had building outlines of public and commercial buildings including factories and railroad structures.

During the depression of the 1930, the govenrment had a project to make aerial photographs of each state. Chek your states university library to see if they have those photos available in digital form. I got luck. The ones I found were a resolution of one meter per pixel.

I was able to correctly locate a branchline that was abandoned in 1912. Also, local historical societies can be of help with locating old maps.

Good Luck with your research.

David

Thanks everyone for the replies -

Dap: Thanks for the link as it did, indirectly, lead me to some great info. I am trying to model the central Florida, US area but the site didn't have anything for me. A couple related clicks away though and I came across a bunch of Sanborn Insurance maps from the period that show downtown areas in great detail plus rail items like roundhouses and machine shops that I didn't know existed (thanks U of F for posting these!).

Geophil: Thanks for the additional information. Although I don't yet completely understand it as I have not worked with tiles yet (I have just completed georeferencing my maps late last night and have not pulled anything into Trainz just yet), it does confirm that I can move ahead with the project and add info as I go without fear of losing my work. I think where I am hanging myself up is that most of the info I think I will be collecting will not have map coordinates that are usable (like the insurance maps I mention above) and the best way I can think to get the material properly oriented is to overlay it (which means being able to rotate, and scale it before placing it) on a larger, new map that will have the proper geo references.

Once I get a little further along, the light bulb will probably come on and it will make perfect sense. I am learning as I go and appreciate the help.

Willem2: Email headed your way, and thanks!

Hi all,

I uploaded the above mentioned basemaps this morning at 8am and received this email a short while ago at 1pm;

"Hi Willem2,

Your uploaded content listed below has been approved and will be available for download within 6 hours.

Approved Content: 720x720m basemap1 <KUID2:97008:7201:1>
Approved Content: 720x720m basemap2 <KUID2:97008:7202:1>
Approved Content: 720x720m basemap3 <KUID2:97008:7203:1>
Approved Content: 720x720m basemap4 <KUID2:97008:7204:1>
Approved Content: 720x720m basemap5 <KUID2:97008:7205:1>

There are 5 basemaps in the set for multiple map use.

Instructions are in the config file.

If you need more info you can contact me here or via email (email in config file)

Cheers,

Bill.

Back