Building a PC

gliderboy

Trainz Route Builder-ish
I plan to build a computer to run games and stuff nicely but not over the top, and TRS would be the main thing to get playing well.

I have come up with the 'spec'. Can anyone advise what it should be like?

Casecom Black Mid Tower Case - Front Blue LED 120mm Fan - With Side Window
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Socket 775 (2.66GHz) FSB1333 6MB Cache Retail Boxed
Asustek S775 Intel P965 ATX Audio Lan
Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256bit Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
Hiper 580W HPU-4M580 SLi Certified ATX2.2 PSU
Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB S300 8MB
Edimax 802.11g 54Mbps PCI card
OcUK 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit
Sony DVD+-R/RW/DL SATA blk/beige

Or should I use a 1GB 8800 instead, and any comments on the CPU and/or Mobo?

Cheers

Dave

Hi, :wave:
Personally, I would go for a graphics card made by a more well-known company, such as Inno3D, and I would go for an AMD processor, but as this would need a change of mobo I don't know if you'd want to bother.

thats prety much my system except i have 2 160 gb hdds and a 8400gs 256mb graphics card and it will run trainz fine

so in my opinion its a good setup
however colinsl has a point there too

Your motherboard is a good choice. Btw, for those of you unfamiliar with the name, the board is also known as the ASUS P5B-VM. However, if you're going to go with a MicroATX, I would get something a little more advanced than an Intel chipset. Go with either an AMD or NVIDIA chipset, since those are a little more for high performance in gaming, and not just media editing/playing.

The E8200 is great, you definitely picked out a good one. HOWEVER... The CPU is not on the support list from the ASUSTeK support site. The mobo (motherboard) you picked out only supports up to 1066MHz FSB. So the max you can go with as far as Core 2 Duo goes is the E6700. Check this link for more support on CPUs for your mobo: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I would stay away from Point of View, or any other not well-known or reliable video card manufacturer. The top ones for cards are BFG, XFX, and EVGA. You should definitely check them out. While you will be paying a little more than Point of View, it's worth every penny when you compare performance.

The PSU, according to NewEgg, has a tendency to fail after a certain period of time. It differs between customers. The efficiency is a little below par at about 76%. I would shoot for an efficiency above 80%.

Check your RAM as well. CoUK RAM isn't on the support list for the mobo you picked out. Check this link for RAM support for your motherboard: http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1312/1312_10.pdf

Hope this helps!!

Back