Building a new Tower

trains4

Hi all I'm no computer expert and have a friend that will build a new computer for me if I get things together.He has given me a start list he thinks will see TRAINZ 2010 out and any new versions that may come out for a few years at least.What he has suggested are as follows.

ASUS M4A79T DELUXE AMD 790FX Dual Channel DDR3 1600 Mhz
(oc)Quad ATI Crossfire Support

AMD Phenom 2 x6 1090T Six Core Design 3.2Ghz 9MB Cache Socket AM3

GIGABYTE SUMO - 4192 CASE

KINGSTON HYPER X TRIPPLE PACK 6gig (3x2gigDDR3)CL9
1600mhz Model:KHX1600C9D3T1K3/6GX

CORSAIR HX 1000W Modular Power Supply 1000Watt

2 X INNO 3D 9800GTX + OVERCLOCK 512MB DDR3 Core Clock:
738MHZ Model:I-9800GTXP-HSGTCDSX

I'm just wondering what others think as I have no idea and if anyone has any of these parts.I don't even know if they are all compatible.I have been seeing other systems being asked about and just was wondering what people think.This will just be for Trainz and gaming.

I have monitor keyboard mouse etc,I'll need to get another hard drive and I'll be putting windows 7 64 in.

If there is something else needed for in the tower could you list what you think.

Hope I haven't raved on to much.Shane.

Is this a joke? lol.
Thats pretty much as far as you can push it in terms of performance... Im not even going to justify this with an answer ;P

That's a good setup for Trainz (well, any game actually). But be aware that Trainz does not make good (or any) use of multiple graphics cards, so you would only get the benefit of one of the cards, and the other would be wasteful if you only play Trainz. Instead of getting 2 9800 GTX+, you could get a ATI 5830 for the same money as two 9800's. Or you could go a little higher and get a ATI 5850 or nVidia GTX 470. And then if you got a single card, you wouldn't need such a high-priced high-powered power supply.

You could easily get by with a good 650-800 watt power supply and still have ample room for future upgrades (multi-graphics cards, more hard drives, etc.) I've had zero problems with my 650 watt Corsair that I've had for almost 2 years, and it'll handle a 125 watt processor and a ATI Radeon HD 4850 (soon to be 5870) no problem. I'd say get the 750 watt version just for that extra cushion of power, just in case. But there are a few good PSU makers out there that are reputable and high-quality.

Also, your memory choice would be conflicting with the motherboard, as the memory is for the Intel triple-channel motherboards, and AMD processors only use dual-channel memory (for the time being at least). This OCZ set is the same speed as the Kingston one you chose, but is dual-channel and a good match for an AMD system.

Hope this helps clear things a bit!

I'm just wondering what others think as I have no idea and if anyone has any of these parts.I don't even know if they are all compatible.I have been seeing other systems being asked about and just was wondering what people think.This will just be for Trainz and gaming.

I have monitor keyboard mouse etc,I'll need to get another hard drive and I'll be putting windows 7 64 in.

If there is something else needed for in the tower could you list what you think.

Hope I haven't raved on to much.Shane.

I'm not sure why you would go with the AMD 790FX chipset when the new 890FX chipset has been released -

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...d-s-890fx-chipset-evolution-am3-platform.html

If you are going to be running a lot of CPU dependent sims/games you would also be better off going with an Intel i7 setup rather than the AMD Phenom.

If your thinking of using 2 X INNO 3D 9800GTX cards make sure the box is deep enough.I run 2 X 9600's & had to buy a bigger box as the card power connectors were hitting the drive bays.I now have a NZXT Tempast box which has room to spare & about the same price as the sumo.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys.I was hoping for a good response and now i'm in for some research on these parts you all have listed.Thanks to all and i will get on to my mate and put it to him.Shane.

SLI is overrated! Just consumes lots of extra power for minor performance-gain. Few games and sims can utilize it fully. Trouble sometimes follow a SLI-setup.

Get one descent video-card instead! GTX 470 or 480.

Hi guys i haven't had a chance to investigate yet.I sent email to mate and all he said was if going one graphics card go with the ati.
Thanks for the link Technous285 i will check out.My mate suggested gamedude in brisbane as i'm going down there in couple of weeks and thought might be easier to pick up there.Shane.

Back