Best Computer to Buy

generalman

Renowned L&N Fanatic
Hello everyone.
I'm beginning to get fed up with my computer not wanting to run trainz correctly, (it's way too slow). I'm currently using a laptop, but am thinking about buying a desktop. I'm not looking for anything fancy and high strung, but I just want something better then what I have.
My specs are:
86882c5c1a6d29cdf5dfd8a63207e0f0.jpg

My question for all the computer folks out there is what the best thing to get would be. I don't want something new, straight out of the box, $2500 outfit. Something for maybe around $100 on amazon, refurbished or in a good used condition. It doesn't have to be up to TANE's "Recommended" specs, but somewhere around maybe 3.0/4.0/5.0/6.0 GHz, (or 2.0 Dual core, e.t.c.). RAM I'm not concerned about as long as it's at least 4GB. I'd like to have around (if not more) than 500GB hard drive space, but could deal with 250GB. Something rather affordable.
Please let me know what you all think would best fit this description.

Last edited:
100 dollars and used ? I wouldn't do that . You cant't see how long the fans has been running .
In GOOD used condition means only if the case is looking good.
I hope that you will get some good advice from the people here.

I'm just looking for a bargain I'm not looking on a "have to have now" basis. Something that has been refurbished, and can be proven to have been.

realistically a refurbished i3 would be the lowest I'd go. Newegg have some for $320 but that won't get you much of a GPU, Tigerdirect.com have more choice but again these will be ex-commercial units not ones with decent GPUs and you'll need to see if the power supply will handle a decent GPU.

I've seen fairly good refurbished HP machines, they are solid but they ain't build for gaming out of the box.

Cheerio John

First this is really, really old and it's a laptop. Second it's a Toshiba which run really, really, hot to begin with. Combine this with Trainz and it will cook. It will definitely not run TANE which needs DX11 support and my guess the GPU probably ATI integrated GFX Chip, and is at the most DX09.

I had a similar machine about 8 years ago.

John

I wish I could find a good used computer that can run trainz respectably for $100, but that's a really good dream. You're most likely going to be looking at $600-$700 for something that would reach TANE's min specs. If you had a desktop, I would tell you it is cheaper to upgrade your components, but since you're using a laptop thats not really an option. One thing I could tell you to do, is that for now, you could try downloading a program called Razor Cortex. I use that because I too am using a laptop for TS2010 with an Intel Dual core I5, and no GPU, but I can make trainz pull 15-20 FPS, but my laptop is somewhat better than yours. What kind of FPS are you getting now? Razor cortex is nothing more than a booster which when using a program, it makes the computer allocate more specific resources for that program so it runs somewhat faster, and I bet it would give you a noticeable performance boost. Don't know if you don't try specifically.

When I started Razor Cortex, and boosted my game, my framerates dropped to 5 FPS ... when I went to unboosted normal mode, my framerates went up to 16 FPS ... Perhaps I need to tweak Razor Cortex

I remember trying to use gamebooster to try and bring up the FPS on Trainz 12. Horrible idea that was. My FPS dropped CONSIDERABLY! When I shut gamebooster down, Trainz 2012 went back to running the same way it did, but sometimes, runs better then usual.

First this is really, really old and it's a laptop. Second it's a Toshiba which run really, really, hot to begin with. Combine this with Trainz and it will cook. It will definitely not run TANE which needs DX11 support and my guess the GPU probably ATI integrated GFX Chip, and is at the most DX09.

I had a similar machine about 8 years ago.

John
I bought this laptop new in February, (not intentionally for Trainz, but that's what it's turned into). It runs windows 8.1. I have a standard underneath fan from Walmart that surprisingly keeps it cool, (the built-in fan doesn't really run a lot), and it stays relatively cool to the touch...

You guys don't have to base your response on the pricing, I was just wondering what you guys would want if you could actually find something like this.

Last edited:
I bought this laptop new in February, (not intentionally for Trainz, but that's what it's turned into). It runs windows 8.1. I have a standard underneath fan from Walmart that surprisingly keeps it cool, (the built-in fan doesn't really run a lot), and it stays relatively cool to the touch...

You guys don't have to base your response on the pricing, I was just wondering what you guys would want if you could actually find something like this.

The current models are i3 or i5 cpus, but the info you give is for a very old model. Try running Belarc and let's see what you actually have. http://www.belarc.com/

I'm not sure what you're asking at the moment, but $100 won't get you far in a desktop for running TS12 or TANE.

Cheerio John

The current models are i3 or i5 cpus, but the info you give is for a very old model. Try running Belarc and let's see what you actually have. http://www.belarc.com/

I'm not sure what you're asking at the moment, but $100 won't get you far in a desktop for running TS12 or TANE.

Cheerio John

I went by the specs he gave with the P4 processor, which are those for the same machine I had back in 2006. I agree a $100 laptop won't go far, not for any game, and especially not for any new version of Trainz including TS12 right now. The kind of machine he needs is in the minimum of $600-700 range for anything to begin with.

John

I went by the specs he gave with the P4 processor, which are those for the same machine I had back in 2006. I agree a $100 laptop won't go far, not for any game, and especially not for any new version of Trainz including TS12 right now. The kind of machine he needs is in the minimum of $600-700 range for anything to begin with.

John

The current models start with C55-A but have other bits on the end. If he brought it new with Win 8 installed then its unlikely to be what he says it is hence the idea of running belarc and seeing what it really is.

Cheerio John

I don't think a $100 computer would be good but if you want to build a PC for Trainz, then I think building a PC in the $300-$400 price range would be an improvement. You probably can't won't get high fps from Trainz on a $300-$400 computer but it could be a good starting point. And remember, you can always upgrade over time.

I don't think a $100 computer would be good but if you want to build a PC for Trainz, then I think building a PC in the $300-$400 price range would be an improvement. You probably can't won't get high fps from Trainz on a $300-$400 computer but it could be a good starting point. And remember, you can always upgrade over time.

You can only upgrade over time on some configurations. For example an older machine might not accept the latest GPU cards and there are power supply considerations to think about as well. I'm still not clear what the OP is trying to do.

Cheerio John

You can only upgrade over time on some configurations. For example an older machine might not accept the latest GPU cards and there are power supply considerations to think about as well. I'm still not clear what the OP is trying to do.

Cheerio John
That's a good way of putting it. Like my old Windows XP machine, no good for anything from today's gaming world, but great to run old stuff on!

I'm still not clear what the OP is trying to do.
Well, since this thread has progressed it looks like now what I'm doing is just listening to what you guys think would be good to look for. Just forget the original price ($100) and tell me what you guys would recommend.

Try a use computer store.
remember you get what you pay for.
something for under $1k just might run TRZ12 with min sliders.
Of course I going to catch some flack for this opinion.

I can get good used 2 year old desktop computers at around $30-$50 form the ex Government IT Auctions. All they normally need is Decent Video card at around $50 local money and your away. Maybe it is something you can look into in your area. Most are high spec with lots ram PC's

Since the price-tag is off, you could always build one yourself. I have heard it is actually cheaper to do this, now whether there is any truth to this or not is beyond me, but you could start with a good case for probably $100, then a good motherboard for an intel I5 or I7 for around $150-$200, then the processor itself ~ Roughly $250-$300, good RAM I'd say about 8-16GB worth is good for about maybe >$100-$150+ depending upon your desires, then a good GPU is gonna be about $150. Add it all up, and you're still looking at $800.
For me personally, I just go get desktop, preferably with Intel I5 or I7, I have a desktop for TRS 12 that has intel I5, 8GB of RAM and NVIDIA 9800GT GPU (Orginial GPU died not long into use of the computer, don't ask me, but I hate ATI Graphics), it won't run TANE, but I can get 25 FPS on routes. If it were me, I would to the extreme and get an NVIDIA 770GTX for about $300, cuz you can't beat that performance and NVIDIA works best with Windows.

Back