Back today-Was able to visit MRM, felt like telling you about it.

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
Hello Everyone,
While I was up in Illinois visiting my ailing grandfather (see other thread) I was able to visit the museum I volunteer at (Monticello Railway Museum).
I thought I would update you on some things out there. Yes, I do have friends interested in this place on here.
First off;
For SR6900, Update on Southern #401;
401's completion date has been delayed again,(2010) but steady progress is being made. The tender is being painted this month.
Now the part for SR6900...
As you have made clear before, 401 does indeed burn oil. However the reasons are;
*Kindness to our neighbors: Coal is makes a bigger mess as per the fact that we have homes within 10ft of our tracks in Monticello. Coal is far and expensive in our area.
Wabash #1189
1189 saw a great start this weekend as it was our main locomotive and she ran well. She also lead the NS Safety special to Decatur in December.
Canadian National #6789
6789 has run into problems. On the way back from Decatur the turbo-charger blew inside of it. 6789 spewed oil all the way back to Monticello, and she is even an ALCo! Th e body is covered in black oil and grease.
Guess who washes locomotives out there?
Illinois Central #8733
Has been stored during the winter. She should be in service by June.
Milwaukee Road #1649
1649 saw her first run on a charter train this weekend.
She ran well and put on a good show!

News at MRM.
As most of my friends here know, the museum has suffered quite a bit of vandalism the last coulpe of months. The museum has some fingers pointed but we are not 100% sure who has been doing it, I know almost for a fact who did it but I'm to discreet to say who. We have had windows broke on cars and the depots.
We also had several cars broken into.
Some things stolen.
We have not had too much trouble lately though.

In other news, Polar Express was a big hit!

Come out sometime and join us! I'd love to meet you, just PM me.
Woody

Thanks for the updates Woodman, and I'm glad you could squeeze in just a little enjoyment during a visit for terrible reasons.;)

Thanks Euphod.
Yes, I did enjoy the museum! I got my first time using a radio this weekend, so yes it was quite fun! I know that sounds dumb.

Woody,

I, and many others, are terribly sorry to hear of your grandfather. Hopefully your visit was a nice enjoyable one. I'm sure it meant alot that you came to see him, plus you got to enjoy Trains aswell. I think it was a double win for you:) .

Again, I am terribly sorry to hear of your Grandfather,

God Bless him and yourself,

Ryan:wave:

Thank You Ryan,
Seeing grandpa like he was wasn't so bad, he was actually himself...just tired and thin.
The museum was a joy, it just reminded me just how great all the people out there are!

Woody

630?

Is that at TVRM?
Anyway, every year it seems our end date goes up another year...but that how things go when you are a small group.
Oh and another anti-coal reason is...we have a hard time getting two people to work our cabs, so having the oil stoking itself makes that a little easier.
We have a comic in our shop that depicts two workers on 401 screaming, More Money, More Money! :hehe:
I think they may have updated the website, just click the link in my signature. If they haven't I can PM you what it says in my newsletter.

Woody

I went to the MRM a few years ago on a vacation. I can tell you that it's a lot different that what I'm used to up here at IRM.

Last time I was at MRM I ran into a volunteer who volunteers both at IRM and at MRM. Although for him it's a looooooooong drive to get there. :)

I know him!
He is an older man by the name of Stan Rankin, he is a personal friend of mine.
I'm glad you got to visit, did you like it?
Visit again, I can take you through our "Car Barn" that is where we store cars that cannot withstand the elements.
Natilus, the aquarium car from Chicago is stored in there.

Woody

Oooh sounds nice!
KS-1, hmm seems like it would be newer than 401 for some reason.
401 was built in 1907, you probably already knew that though...
As a matter of fact we only have one engineer qualified to run 401.
We often say that 401 will teach us how to run her.

Woody

I know him!
He is an older man by the name of Stan Rankin, he is a personal friend of mine.
I'm glad you got to visit, did you like it?
Visit again, I can take you through our "Car Barn" that is where we store cars that cannot withstand the elements.
Natilus, the aquarium car from Chicago is stored in there.

Woody

Yeah I did like it and I did get a tour of the Car Barn as well of a tour with the model rr display inside a boxcar as well! Only issue was that I did get yelled at by the other Conductors for standing outside the Caboose when you aren't supposed to then again at IRM I do it all the time and as always SAFETY FIRST! Another issue was that the website showed times and dates were incorrect for when the train/museum was open and when they operated.

for me from where I'm at to MRM is a good 3.5hr drive 1-way vs IRM which is 45mins 1-way :)

Oooh sounds nice!
KS-1, hmm seems like it would be newer than 401 for some reason.
401 was built in 1907, you probably already knew that though...
As a matter of fact we only have one engineer qualified to run 401.
We often say that 401 will teach us how to run her.

Woody

Actually, no. The K classes were built before the H-4's. 630 was built in 1904.

What did the conductor look like?
They do tend to do that, they don't like that because we have insurance issues at times...
Last weekend when I was there, there were some kids under the trestle cooking hot dogs and swimming in that nasty creek, so we stopped the train and Dale showed his NS Police badge! It was more funny that serious really, you should have seen the look on their faces. We just didn't want them jumping off the bridge into a two foot deep river and getting hurt.
Otherwise we didn't care about the cookout.
SR6900,
You have just educated me on Southern steam, thank you!

Back