Aviation help required

Hi guys,

The problems do occur with a loop of track, even if you place speed signs (which are necessary or the aircraft will not get above the default speed limit of 65 kph). The aircraft will get half way around the loop and slow down. This happens with portals, if you emit an aircraft and the receiving portal is too close it will never get up to speed. You probably need invisible signals on a loop as well.

One solution is to place a number of trackmarks and use the "Drive Via" command. Place one just before the airport where you wish to land and it will maintain the speed until it gets there.

Ian
Many thanks Ian, does this mean that if I take off the return loop and fly the plane back along the start route that might work?

I had tried the using track marks with little success but only one at start of the take off runway and one at the landing point - I will try using more and see what happens!

I appreciate your input and am having great fun with your aviation series of craft and wish to try thee military versions once I have got the flight problem sorted!

Hi guys,

The problems do occur with a loop of track, even if you place speed signs (which are necessary or the aircraft will not get above the default speed limit of 65 kph). The aircraft will get half way around the loop and slow down. This happens with portals, if you emit an aircraft and the receiving portal is too close it will never get up to speed. You probably need invisible signals on a loop as well.

One solution is to place a number of trackmarks and use the "Drive Via" command. Place one just before the airport where you wish to land and it will maintain the speed until it gets there.

Ian

Nice one Ian - I have tried putting in the extra Track Marks and it has worked a treat and the plane maintains speed until it passes the last Track Mark and then reads the landing speed mark and with a littler trial and error of where exactly to place the landing speed mark everything is now working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions with a special thanks to Ian for coming up with the answer.

Regards
Richard

Hi guys,

Ian

Thanks for the info! The added track mark with the "navigate via" totally helps AI keep up the speed on approach.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Been a while since I set up an AI run, I usually make the planes and test them under DCC. I found it quite frustrating not being able to get up to speed in AI, and the Drive or Navigate Via seemed to fix the problem for loops.

If you use track junctions and multiple aircraft it can be a bit disconcerting to see a 747 stopped in mid air waiting for track clearance. :D

Some of the more recent aircraft use trigger setting 14 (Aircraft Action Trigger) to slow the aircraft for landing, about 40% of maximum speed, but the actual speed varies.

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciated.

Been a while since I set up an AI run, I usually make the planes and test them under DCC. I found it quite frustrating not being able to get up to speed in AI, and the Drive or Navigate Via seemed to fix the problem for loops.

If you use track junctions and multiple aircraft it can be a bit disconcerting to see a 747 stopped in mid air waiting for track clearance. :D

Some of the more recent aircraft use trigger setting 14 (Aircraft Action Trigger) to slow the aircraft for landing, about 40% of maximum speed, but the actual speed varies.

Ian

Thanks for the added information Ian - I can see that I need to go into it in more depth than with settling up a loco on a track! Will have to see if I can find the Aircraft Action Trigger and discover how it works.

Richard

The use of the Action Trigger is essential for all the aircraft to get the most out of them. I include full descriptions in the config file. This is the data for the FA-18 Hornet, which can be carrier operated (USN Nimitz static scenery object):

The aircraft has a number of animations that can be operated by keyboard keys, or the Aircraft Action Trigger, kuid:76656:24050, when placed on track and set to the correct number:

- horn H key fires three sets of missiles and the gun in sequence - press the H key multiple times;
- start or stop engines - use the B key;
- flare the aircraft for takeoff or landing, V key or trigger setting 3;
- tyre smoke on landing, use trigger setting 4;
- drag chute deployment for normal landing, use trigger setting 5;
- activate flares from the rear of the aircraft, use trigger setting 6;
- tailhook deployment for carrier landing, use trigger setting 7;
- catapult launch, for carrier operation, use trigger setting 8;
- trapping on landing (instant stop), use trigger setting number 9
- deploy refueling probe, use trigger setting number 10, time in seconds can be set in the string table;
- folding wings, use trigger setting 11;
- bolter - overshoot arrester wires, relaunch - use trigger setting number 12
- set speed to approx 40% of maximum speed, for landing approach, trigger setting 14.

Commercial aircraft are different, and a number of updates recently make some operations automatic (automatic flaps at low speed), allow reverse engine thrust and door operations. A number of settings can be altered in the config string table.

Give them a try, but remember it is not Flight Simulator. :D

Ian

The use of the Action Trigger is essential for all the aircraft to get the most out of them. I include full descriptions in the config file. This is the data for the FA-18 Hornet, which can be carrier operated (USN Nimitz static scenery object):

The aircraft has a number of animations that can be operated by keyboard keys, or the Aircraft Action Trigger, kuid:76656:24050, when placed on track and set to the correct number:

- horn H key fires three sets of missiles and the gun in sequence - press the H key multiple times;
- start or stop engines - use the B key;
- flare the aircraft for takeoff or landing, V key or trigger setting 3;
- tyre smoke on landing, use trigger setting 4;
- drag chute deployment for normal landing, use trigger setting 5;
- activate flares from the rear of the aircraft, use trigger setting 6;
- tailhook deployment for carrier landing, use trigger setting 7;
- catapult launch, for carrier operation, use trigger setting 8;
- trapping on landing (instant stop), use trigger setting number 9
- deploy refueling probe, use trigger setting number 10, time in seconds can be set in the string table;
- folding wings, use trigger setting 11;
- bolter - overshoot arrester wires, relaunch - use trigger setting number 12
- set speed to approx 40% of maximum speed, for landing approach, trigger setting 14.

Commercial aircraft are different, and a number of updates recently make some operations automatic (automatic flaps at low speed), allow reverse engine thrust and door operations. A number of settings can be altered in the config string table.

Give them a try, but remember it is not Flight Simulator. :D

Ian

Brilliant, many thanks Ian, having never used triggers before the information you give is invaluable. Always a bit scared to change the config file for fear of messing it all up, but will give it a look at least!

Richard

Just a tip .

Name the Track marks "Way points" and number them starting at 01 , a good place for them also is at a change of direction spline point ,lay the Invisible track at ground height and spot the Track marks and (speed signs) name them BEFORE raising the track up to the required height , because they are too hard to find them a few hundred feet up in the sky.

Have a look at my "Lukla Airport" route.

NormP.

Following Ian's advice, I have set the trackmark just where the invisible track touches the ground (on landing). And just after I set the invisible speed controller. The plane does not slow down so much now, and is almost realistic. Just in case I set the trackmark radius to a minimum. So far so very good. Now, I need the props to turn when the aircraft is taxiing at slow speed. All my planes run in AI mode. Will the action trigger do this? Thank you Ian..

Following Ian's advice, I have set the trackmark just where the invisible track touches the ground (on landing). And just after I set the invisible speed controller. The plane does not slow down so much now, and is almost realistic. Just in case I set the trackmark radius to a minimum. So far so very good. Now, I need the props to turn when the aircraft is taxiing at slow speed. All my planes run in AI mode. Will the action trigger do this? Thank you Ian..
I used 4 Track Marks between take off and landing and have now found that the speed does not decrease until after the last Track Mark before landing has been passed. Didn't need to use triggers as planes are now behaving well :)
Richard

Just a tip .

Name the Track marks "Way points" and number them starting at 01 , a good place for them also is at a change of direction spline point ,lay the Invisible track at ground height and spot the Track marks and (speed signs) name them BEFORE raising the track up to the required height , because they are too hard to find them a few hundred feet up in the sky.

Have a look at my "Lukla Airport" route.

NormP.

Good idea I spent hours the other day trying to find a speed mark with the track raised :)

Richard

All the latest aircraft are startup models, you need the B key to stop or start engines, the props will then spin at low speed, transitioning to a translucent disk automatically as the speed increases. The changeover speed is about 40 kph fading over three seconds, set in the script.

You will notice the fastest speeds are limited to about 600 to 800 kph, any faster and they are hard to control, and will not have good low speed operation. You will also have to set the the Derail to None, or they will fly off the curves.

The biggest letdown is the shadows, they look nice on the ground when landing but if the aircraft changes attitude, flaring for instance, the shadow shows on the fuselage top and wings (shadows cannot be animated). Shadows have a poly limitation so you cannot make a shadow that follows the aircraft shape correctly. If you do not like the shadows, I include an invisible shadow in the models, which can be called up in the config.

TANE will be able to generate its own shadows which are animated, they will show the shadow for the rotating props, so some improvement there.

Ian

Ian, your work is great. Wanted to share a few images of your work in my route.

2wghbol.jpg

15z3ui8.jpg

Seriously the 1st time I laid track over the dam and flew the Chinook over it I was laughing like a giddy schoolboy. Couldn't believe how awesome it looked.

Few questions. Is there an easy way via config file or assetx to change the length of time it takes for the rotors to start and stop. So they wind up and wind down over a longer period of time?

Is there a way to change the amount of tilt on the bell jetranger via config file or assetx?

Do you know of a good rotating airport beacon?

Thanks again for your excellent work!

Greg

Hello Greg,

Nice to see you having fun. You will find more information in this thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?50753

Tilts and timings are set in the script file, not user changeable. I have allowed the user to change some items through the config file string table (takeoff speed for wheel retraction, speed where tilting starts, flap retraction speed etc as the most common) propeller acceleration would have to match the sound file lengths. Perhaps for future helicopters the tilt angle could be varied.

I do not know of any beacons Greg, I made a few control towers recently but those only have flashing lights. More info on these pages, but I have quite a few new released models to add, to bring it up to date:

http://ianztrainz.com/aircraft-standards/

Ian

A tower with rotating beacon: KUID:152080:20105 It has to be dark for it to flash the beacon, and it really looks good.

Thanks for the info Ian. I'm working my way through the 235 pages haha!

Thanks for the rotating beacon kuid llebrez. That is one old tower! If you want a great searchlight check out "lamp searchlight". Really cool.

Back