Automatic Whistling

trekkie04111986

Hello im fairly new at this i was playing with a route in trainz 2006 the Hawes junction route and noticed that at certain places in the route it whistles automatically and in surveyor has a whistle icon is there a way i can add this to my route that i am planning

If you search on the DLS for"Whistle" there are several UK style whistle boards which automatically make the train whistle as it passes them.Simply attaching them to the track takes care of everything.

There is also a whistle in tunnel rule which can be added to sessions which means any train entering any tunnel will whistle on approach.

this has to be set in the session rules in trs 2006 ( i cannot remember how to do it in trs2004!!)

I tried the (a?) tunnel rule when it came out and the program would crash when ever a steam engine entered a tunnel. :eek:
Maybe that has been fixed but it was never clear to me why an engineer would blow the whistle / horn when enteeing a tunnel. Well, maybe it might be a good idea but I had never heard of it.:rolleyes:

Hello im fairly new at this i was playing with a route in trainz 2006 the Hawes junction route and noticed that at certain places in the route it whistles automatically and in surveyor has a whistle icon is there a way i can add this to my route that i am planning

You can find those items in the surveyor list and place them in your own routes. I can't remember exactly what it is called ATM as I'm at work.

Mike.

...it was never clear to me why an engineer would blow the whistle / horn when enteeing a tunnel. Well, maybe it might be a good idea but I had never heard of it.:rolleyes:

The engineer will blow the whistle/horn to let anyone inside the tunnel (workers or tresspassers) know that a train is coming. Hopefully anyone in the tunnel might have enough time to get up against the wall of the tunnel to avoid "train suction" from a passing train. In the U.S., many train tunnels have little alcoves in the walls for people to stand in to avoid "train suction". Also, if the tunnel is short enough pedestrians might have time to run out the other end.

Also, for freight trains, any crew on top of the cars will know to "duck". On passenger trains, passengers may hear the whistle and know not to stick their hands or heads out the window when in the tunnel.

Last edited:
There is also a "Sound Horn" item that I use for 'double' horns or in places where you don't want a whistle board. One of them is bi-directional.

Back