Anyone running Intel Arc GPU's? (Horrid FPS, New Pc)

MAGLEVSX

Hello,

I built A new PC, specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel I7-14700
GPU: Inter Arc A770
Ram: 32Gig DDR4 Ram
MOBO: B760M Project Zero
SSD's only

Wouldn't call it low range by any means.

I copied the Trainz Program file from my old HDD to the new SSD (just copied into some random folder) and booted up trainz, didn't think it would actually load lol, but even with the settings backed down to high from ultra (1080P) the game is %95 unplayable like 3 FPS maybe? Like i could do 13 FPS that's fine but surely this is not the result? my old pc with far less specs than this from 2013 Ran better than this.

Im aware there was concerns about running older games on the ARC cards, and I havent installed the latest driver that has just come out but will shortly, only thing I can think is there some compatability problem as I copied the install off the old pc without actually installing conventionally, I tried to download it properly off the web last night but it was going to take 5 days, yes 5 days just to load a fresh install off the net.

Please tell me all about how I shouldn't have brought the intel card, but someones gotta take one for the team lol.

Thanks.

It has a 3d score of 10,000 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php so it should work reasonably well. For comparison an RTX 3050 has a score of 12,845 and I normally think in terms of an RTX 3060 as the lowest I'd like to use which has a score of 15-17,000.

It should have 16 gigs of memory which works well for some games but 8 gigs seems fine for trainz.

Try setting the sliders back to the left in particular the distance slider.

It could just be the assets you're trying to run. Pick up Middleton for laptops and see how it performs. https://www.jatws.org/johnw/middleton.zip will get you most of the assets need but you'll still need Middleton from the DLS.

Have a look a task manager when running trainz, my suspicion is your CPU will be running below 50%, a n RTX 3060 can normally be fed with an i5 rather than an i7 so you might have done better with an i5 and an RTX 3060.

In general have a look at Dell configurations, they're quite good at matching CPU and GPU for the optimum performance per dollar.

Cheerio John

I've not seen bad reviews of the A770 when playing games. The early drivers had some issues but the newest one seems to be performing well. N3V does make use of a lot of Nvidia code for some items like clutter effects but they are trying to move away from that practice in the last beta of Trainz Plus.

Last edited:
I'd install the latest driver for your GPU and recheck the results, since you mentioned not having the newer drivers.

Reinstalled trainz properly + new GPU drivers still poor frame rate, turned off "process objects behind camera" and Vsync the frame rate has picked up but seems to struggle when alot of different objects are on the screen, the stutter seems very incremental like the camera will move ok for a bit then stop then ok then stop etc.

I see on this other thread here about swapping out a DLL file is this something I should look at?

Last edited:
Bumping, Just thinking 2019 Is directX11 right? I have been thinking of buying TS22 is it direct X12? The hardware Requirement's don't actually state what DirectX TS22 Uses, would this at least help the situation?

There has to be other people running this card with trainz, there most certainly will be in the future.

TS22 shows renderer DirectX12 beta, so there's that. I tried to use it in that mode, but I think my hardware didn't work with it. Intel 4790K w/GTX 1080 combo. Runs great with the DirectX11.

TS22 shows renderer DirectX12 beta, so there's that. I tried to use it in that mode, but I think my hardware didn't work with it.
DirectX12 beta has been pulled in the current beta. It wasn't just your hardware that crashed.

I'm seeing reports that AMD may stop future development of graphic cards. At this point that is just talk but they are certainly making a lot of progress with the performance of iGPUs using the latest CPUs and fast ram and storage. They may go the way of Apple and build a computer on a chip. Interesting considering that Nvidia is more interested in making GPUs for AI than for gaming these days. The gaming industry is going to pot in a hurry.

I'm seeing reports that AMD may stop future development of graphic cards. At this point that is just talk but they are certainly making a lot of progress with the performance of iGPUs using the latest CPUs and fast ram and storage. They may go the way of Apple and build a computer on a chip. Interesting considering that Nvidia is more interested in making GPUs for AI than for gaming these days. The gaming industry is going to pot in a hurry.
Link to the Reports Please!

Reinstalled trainz properly + new GPU drivers still poor frame rate, turned off "process objects behind camera" and Vsync the frame rate has picked up but seems to struggle when alot of different objects are on the screen, the stutter seems very incremental like the camera will move ok for a bit then stop then ok then stop etc.

I see on this other thread here about swapping out a DLL file is this something I should look at?
No need to try to guess what the problem is. Maybe it's not the GPU's fault.
It can also be your antivirus when everything else is. First of all, download and install HWNFO free: https://forums.auran.com/threads/a-note-on-heat.177664/post-2015404
With this, you will find out the specific source of problems - CPU, GPU, memory, SSD ...
Run HWNFO and then the game and after a couple of minutes, look at the graph which of the system components is constantly loaded at 100%.
Only then look for a solution.

And try to disable full-screen optimization in the TRS19.exe properties, in the compatibility tab:

Last edited:
So I did what "Twixed" did in this thread https://forums.auran.com/threads/trs19-trs22-performance-on-radeon-gpu.167083/

"WOW! I think I just found a solution!

E2 is using DirectX 11 and a wonderful community have developed a Vulkan implementation of Microsoft's library.
Just go here https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases, download the latest release and put DXGI.DLL and D3D11.DLL from downloaded archive to TRS22 folder.
And voila! TRS now uses Vulkan API which utilizes full [AMD] GPU potential without torturing GPU's copy engine."

Quadrupled the frame rate! I did get some weird ground texture artifacts (shadowy grid appearing) in one of my own routes but didn't seems to come up in others may have something to do with texture rotating, I tend to rotate while laying textures for more randomization, didn't look at it any further though, All settings Maxed out was getting 20-30FPS (1080P) on Kickstarter County which is not amazing but at least you could actually like... play the game lol. zooming out the framrate sky rocketed draw distances don't seem to be a problem, only when zooming right into high poly assets did the frames start to drop.

So I did what "Twixed" did in this thread https://forums.auran.com/threads/trs19-trs22-performance-on-radeon-gpu.167083/

"WOW! I think I just found a solution!

E2 is using DirectX 11 and a wonderful community have developed a Vulkan implementation of Microsoft's library.
Just go here https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases, download the latest release and put DXGI.DLL and D3D11.DLL from downloaded archive to TRS22 folder.
And voila! TRS now uses Vulkan API which utilizes full [AMD] GPU potential without torturing GPU's copy engine."

Quadrupled the frame rate! I did get some weird ground texture artifacts (shadowy grid appearing) in one of my own routes but didn't seems to come up in others may have something to do with texture rotating, I tend to rotate while laying textures for more randomization, didn't look at it any further though, All settings Maxed out was getting 20-30FPS (1080P) on Kickstarter County which is not amazing but at least you could actually like... play the game lol. zooming out the framrate sky rocketed draw distances don't seem to be a problem, only when zooming right into high poly assets did the frames start to drop.
I had the same issue for the TS12 on the Nvidia card.
Now I have copied the d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll files from x32 folder to the game bin folder and now everything is fine. FPS has rise approximately 3 times.

Last edited:
Back