ANOTHER Amtrak Derailment

The reporting in that video is cringeworthy. Is this how they do the news in your country?

It's on Faux News if that says anything about the reporting. :)

Looking at the route, and the fact we had a lot of rain over the weekend, it makes me think this was a washout that caused the accident. We'll find out soon enough when we have the reports from the NTSB.

John

I've heard that trains are one of the safer ways to travel.

I'm seriously doubting that "fact" right now.

Seems like we're getting a derailment every other month. It's ridiculous!

Hi everybody.
The difference between accidents on the road and accidents on the rail would be as follows.
1) When travelling by car on the road you trust in your own non-professional skills or that of someone else to get you to your destination, hence many accidents.

2) When travelling by rail as a passenger you pay a professional transport organization with skilled professional staff to get you to your destination safely, hence very few accidents, or at least that is the way it should be.

But not with Amtrak at present it would seem.
Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
The difference between accidents on the road and accidents on the rail would be as follows.
1) When travelling by car on the road you trust in your own non-professional skills or that of someone else to get you to your destination, hence many accidents.

2) When travelling by rail as a passenger you pay a professional transport organization with skilled professional staff to get you to your destination safely, hence very few accidents, or at least that is the way it should be.

But not with Amtrak at present it would seem.
Bill

Bill,

Spot on, but not on Amtrak this time.

According to this tweet here it wasn't their fault:

NTSB investigating derailment today of Amtrak train in Vermont that appears to have collided with a rock slide. 2 cars derailed.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/default.aspx

We had the remnants of Hurricane Joaquin, not as a hurricane but more of a long wet weekend. We probably received more than an inch of rain during that period with that area in Vermont receiving more than I did on the coast. Where the crash occurred, it's about 300 miles northwest of me up in the hills of the Green Mountains.

John

Hi again John and everybody.
Bill,

Spot on, but not on Amtrak this time.

According to this tweet here it wasn't their fault:

NTSB investigating derailment today of Amtrak train in Vermont that appears to have collided with a rock slide. 2 cars derailed.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/default.aspx

We had the remnants of Hurricane Joaquin, not as a hurricane but more of a long wet weekend. We probably received more than an inch of rain during that period with that area in Vermont receiving more than I did on the coast. Where the crash occurred, it's about 300 miles northwest of me up in the hills of the Green Mountains.

John

John, if Amtrack where running an adequate safety regime poor weather procedure would have been incorporated in to the company dynamic risk assessments. In the UK poor weather by way of heavy rain causing land slippage is very much a factor on our railway network.

During and following any bad weather drivers are instructed to run at speeds within the distance they can visually see and stop until a full track inspection can be carried out. The forgoing causes long delays but keeps everyone safe (I know as I have been on trains following that procedure all to often). However it keeps everyone safe and that is the most prominent purpose of any safety regime in passenger transport.

Bill

Hi again John and everybody.

John, if Amtrack where running an adequate safety regime poor weather procedure would have been incorporated in to the company dynamic risk assessments. In the UK poor weather by way of heavy rain causing land slippage is very much a factor on our railway network.

During and following any bad weather drivers are instructed to run at speeds within the distance they can visually see and stop until a full track inspection can be carried out. The forgoing causes long delays but keeps everyone safe (I know as I have been on trains following that procedure all to often). However it keeps everyone safe and that is the most prominent purpose of any safety regime in passenger transport.

Bill

From what was just reported in the news, the slide hit the train as it passed. They were also only going at 50 mph.

For the most part, the system will shutdown during severely inclement weather and have done so in the past. This rockfall was quite unexpected along this stretch of track.

i don't know how many such things happen in America (although this reported one was not the company's fault) but with regard to the comment on Gt Britain annually we have a very tiny record.

Back