All splines visible in surveyor

Snowhill

Can anyone help with a problem that I have developed in Trainz 2004. On opening surveyor All the splines are showing, that is everything that is a spline, roads, fences and track. This is before opening any of the tabs. Opening and closing a tab does not prevent the splines from showing.
I have tried four reinstalls but the problem persists on each install. I have partitioned my hard drive so Trainz has its own drive.
I have uninstalled the programme using the built in uninstall, then I manually uninstalled every file relating to Trainz and Auran in both the partitioned and the C drive, including files in the registry. I also reformatted this drive. But even reinstalling on a virgin partition the splines still show when I open surveyor.
2004 was working okay… but I purchased Trainz Railways and installed it. When I booted TR up I got the dreaded screen ‘Fatal Error’ and was thrown back to my desktop… I uninstalled TR… It was then going back into 2004 that I discovered this problem with the splines. On the first reinstall of 2004 I also installed SP4. The world folder was still intact (all 10Gb and all the maps were there except there were problems with all the maps. Layouts I am working on with a dem map base, the dem map textures had disappeared in one layout, its was intact on another layout but there were crazy columns sprouting up. The whole thing has gone haywire.
Has anyone else had this problem and how did they get around it.
:'(

"On opening surveyor All the splines are showing, that is everything that is a spline, roads, fences and track."

Is that not supposed to happen? In Surveyor? Not sure what problem that is. can you screen shot that lil part there?

When you say that the splines are showing, do you mean the dashed circles around the spline control points? If so, just hit alt-O -- that toggles the visibility of those control points.

I hope that helps; I'm just trying to guess at what you might mean, so I very well might have misunderstood the problem. As to the other problems you mentioned (missing textures and crazy columns sprouting up), I don't have any suggestions. :(

- Madeline

problems with all the maps. Layouts I am working on with a dem map base, the dem map textures had disappeared in one layout, its was intact on another layout but there were crazy columns sprouting up. The whole thing has gone haywire.
Has anyone else had this problem and how did they get around it.
:'(

The "crazy columns" are caused by using the "undo button" at the top of the surveyor screen when working on large layouts. The program then sprouts giant columns destroying dem terrain (and the open layout). It is a known TRS04 bug. Unfortunately, the routes affected with the giant columns are ruined.

The only fix is to not use the "undo button" when working on an open layout. Instead, save often and if you make a mistake, close the route and go back to the route list. Reload the saved layout and do your corrections to your route. You will get used to not using the undo button and it will eventually become second nature.

Also backup your "custom" folder after every building session in surveyor in a separate backup folder so you will not lose anything if TRS04 crashes (which is very unlikely). I also burn a CD copy of my custom folder once a week just to be doubly careful.

Thank you Maddy25. Hitting Alt+O worked... Problem solved. :) It was the dashed spline circles that were showing up. It had to be something simple after I have had a weekend of frustration, four re-installs. Thanks to everyone else who replied. I must get used to forgetting about the undo button and not get carried away with route building and forgetting to save often.
Thanks again everyone.

Hi
If you go into surveyor and move the mouse cursor to the top l/h side a drop down menu appears.
look for surveyor options .
in there is a list of options, look for one called contextual information.

when this is turned ON splines will only show that relate to the tab you have open eg fences with the objects tab.
turning this option OFF gets all splines showing.

hope this helps
cheers
Roy

Thanks cathouse... In the past that has always been turned on by default but the recent reinstalls jt appears that it has been turned off. I never thought about looking in the options pannel. Thanks again... problem solved
Dennis

Back