All layers locked, and cannot drive train

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I created a very large route using DEMs and track splines in TransDem. I have this route with miles of track. When I open the route in Surveyor, all layers except session are initially locked. I can unlock them, but this is peculiar because when I open any other route in Surveyor the default is for the layers to be unlocked. If I unlock the layers and then save the route with a new name, the layers are still locked in the new route.
Now, when I place a locomotive on any track, save the session (or the route and session) and run quick drive, I cannot drive the train. First off, quick drive opens at the world origin, and not at the single loco I have placed. When I go to that loco using Find Object, I can hear its motor running, and can sound the horn, but I can't do anything else. Can't turn on the lights, cannot drive the train. Trying to move any controls inside the cab has no effect. I can blow the horn, but only by pressing the H on the keyboard; not by pulling down the horn lever. None of the levers move when I mouse and click on them.

This issue does not occur in any other route, so somehow this route has become corrupt.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that when I exported track splines from TransDem I chose to put them onto the "track" layer, which I had created on the map before opening it for edit and exporting the splines from TransDem.
At this point, I am totally frustrated. I have been having trouble with occasional system freeze while running TS12+SP1 in OpenGL mode, and I have had a few instances where Windows (7 ultimate+SP1 64-bit) won't even start. I get the black screen at startup telling me that Windows failed to start because a device was inaccessible. I ran Windows repair tool and supposedly fixed that problem. Before all of that, I had not tried to run a train on this route. Now I am thinking that everything is somehow related.

Any ideas? Or should I do a clean re-install of Windows and then Trainz?

CP

No all that's needed is to put a driver in the cab! the train needs a driver, that's all.
Thanks. I had tried just adding the driver in the session, but when I re-checked I found that vehicle wasn't set. When I set vehicle to the loco, I was able to drive it.
Now that I can drive, I found I have another issue with this route. I was in cab view, and when I pressed 3 to go to outside view, the train froze with the sound still playing, and then the program crashed. I guess the route is far too big. I need to re-generate the map with a filter of 3 tiles. As it is now, the route is extremely large. 8856 baseboards in all. Guess I'll have to wait for the 64-bit version of TS to build such a large route...

CP

Edit: When I drove the session directly from the menu, there was no problem. I guess Quick Drive is the problem.

Last edited:
It might be worth updating you video drivers, I use driver booster free by IObit, it did the trick for me when my computer kept crashing.

Edit: While your at it grab game booster from there as well, It could very well be you have too many programs working in the background, that you don't need, that are sapping the computers strength.

Last edited:
It might be worth updating you video drivers, I use driver booster free by IObit, it did the trick for me when my computer kept crashing.

Edit: While your at it grab game booster from there as well, It could very well be you have too many programs working in the background, that you don't need, that are sapping the computers strength.

I'll give that a try... before I do the clean re-install of Windows 7.

CP

Edit: installed Driver Booster (free). It reported that all of my drivers are up-to-date except the Ethernet driver, which I updated.
I downloaded Game Booster, but cancelled the install when it wanted to install a lot of additional program. I have had much bad experience with such utilities.
I am just going to do the clean install of Windows 7, do the SP1 update, then stop all future MS Windows updates (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).
I'll take it from there.

Last edited:
I downloaded Game Booster, but cancelled the install when it wanted to install a lot of additional program.
I'll take it from there.

Yes I can understand where your coming from.
More and more of these web host sights, are trying to trip you up into downloading a load of rubbish that you don't need or want these days, and it is getting harder and harder to navigate through all the adds and crap they try to get us to use, I normally try to get through all that by choosing the custom download button, and un-tick all of the boxes, but even then they try to confuse you with the way they word things.
It is high time this sort of extremely aggressive selling technique was outlawed.
I long for the good old days when you downloaded something and you would just get what you downloaded.

IO Bit has gotten a bit annoying with this tactic sadly. They used to just have utilities for downloads, but now seem to do the bundle thing. When I downloaded their Smart Defrag, I very carefully unchecked things from the installer. They still snuck in some junk that hooked to my browser which I disabled then uninstalled afterwards.

I agree where are the old days of truly free stuff? I have a few truly free utilities which I use often including FileCopy 211 which I recommend for backups.

John

I am just going to do the clean install of Windows 7, do the SP1 update, then stop all future MS Windows updates (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!).
I'll take it from there.

Uh, Microsoft Windows updates are issued to fix things that ARE broken, or vulnerable to security compromise. Not keeping your system up to date is asking for trouble again in the future.

Uh, Microsoft Windows updates are issued to fix things that ARE broken, or vulnerable to security compromise. Not keeping your system up to date is asking for trouble again in the future.

I agree, Dave. Keeping up with the Windows updates is fine. What you want to do is schedule the installs on your own time. There's nothing worse than having updates come down while using Trainz, or leaving the computer on with a DBRepair running overnight, only to find the machine had rebooted due to updates. I've had that happen before and it created an awful mess for me.

John

Back