all gone

wonder why no mp sessions are running? people are gone, left, on to a better simulator that is actually a simulator. to a place where you dont have to rely on a server to play online. five topics in a row of people asking and replying if theres any games going. nope. I quit playing playing ts12 and on to a better simulator. SEEYA:cool:

(btw I dont give to flying ****s what you guys say cause I dont care)

Last edited:
I guess they've gone to that Run8 sim that has only one route. Good for them. Shows how many people really care.

Last edited:
wonder why no mp sessions are running?
There is at least 1 MP session running.

The reason why you dont see it is probably one of these:
- You did not patch your game to the latest build
- You dont have the routes downloaded on which the sessions are running
- You forgot to put up your glasses.

But since you are gone, I hope the door didnt hit you in the back on your way out.

For those who are still interested, take a dive into this FAQ topic:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?89767-Multiplayer-Tips-Tricks-Fixes-and-Other-Things

O... and nobody stops you from starting a session. A lot of people are afraid to start a session and once they start a session dont have enough patience for people to be able to join.
Keep in mind though, that if you start a session but are not on the latest build, the rest of us cant see it or cant join it.

wonder why no mp sessions are running? people are gone, left, on to a better simulator that is actually a simulator. to a place where you dont have to rely on a server to play online. five topics in a row of people asking and replying if theres any games going. nope. I quit playing playing ts12 and on to a better simulator. SEEYA:cool:

Which better simulator?

LMAO please, tell us why we should care?
have fun with your one route, your trashy scenery, and your as far as the eye can see GE locomotive, i certainly wont know you're gone.

Last edited:
It seems to me that people are keen to ridicule Run8 and the people who are leaving Trainz to join it because they are afraid it will lead to the end of Trainz. I have played Run8 for 4-5 days now and I feel qualified enough to give you the facts, not a biased opinion. The makers of Run8 have tried to produce a realistic sim and the end result is a train sim that, to the player feels more realistic than Trainz. However, where Run8 excels is multiplayer. Run8 Multiplayer is so superior to TS12 Multiplayer there is no comparison. This goes a long way to explaining why people are turning to Run8. There is also more interaction between players in Run8 Multiplayer. Unique to Run8 is the Dispatcher's screen which is used to operate motor switches and signals on the mainline. You can do it from the comfort of the driving cab which is a plus. Now, before you all rush out and buy it here is the other side of the coin. The biggest drawback for me is nighttime. It is so dark you don,t know where a train is until you walk into it! There are way around it but in multiplayer only the host can change the time so you have to rely on a flashlight. Apart from the mainline, the switches are hand operated by standing next to them. There is no HUD so switching a yard solo is more difficult than Trainz. The final thing I want to mention is that there is no Surveyor therefore no freeware. There are routes and Locomotives in the pipeline but they will be payware. I could make further comments but they are the main points for me. My own feeling is that people who want to play multiplayer will and indeed, have moved to Run8 but very few solo players will.

End of an era?

Okay, lets see if I understand this correct...

So... all the people who want to play multiplayer and are willing to pay for a new game are now leaving to Run8 and what stays behind to try multiplayer in TS12 is lazy people with no money.
Conclussion:
Multiplayer is about to die completely, which basicly kills the main new Trainz feature and with that possible new buyers, so no (or a lot less) new funding for new development of the Trainz series and the start of the end of an era.
Sure, slightly more dramaticly written, but I am sure that you can see my point if you want to.

Unless ofc N3V will soon strick back, in which case I am more then interested to read about it very soon[SUP]tm[/SUP].

i dont know why anyone would want to play a train multi player in the first place, sounds like the most boring thing two people can do together.
"hey dude did you seem me pass you? yeah dude that was insane!"
"hey dude did you seem me pick up those flat cars on that siding?" dude why are we pretending to do what other people dread doing from a day to day basis because is their job, together?"
because its fun? no that's not it.......

Last edited:
Never tried run8, but I looked at it - no editors, no single player AI trains, got nothing I need. From what I understand the lack of any kind of editing tools means zero custom content, whatever route and trainsets come with the game is what you play with. Having nothing customized means easy programming, no potential for compatibility problems.

I think we really expected too much out of Trainz multiplayer, we create routes and sessions where everything is customized and the players need to download 500 megs of addons for one multiplayer session, resulting in weeks of downloading for hours of actual play. What we need to do is start making multiplayer compatible routes and multiplayer sessions with more realistic download requirements, say for example 20 megabytes maximum for both route and session, everything else built in only. Once the content creators get the hang of what is needed for a good multiplayer session I think we'll look back on this as mere teething pains for new technology.

Personally, I don't care about multiplayer ANYTHING. I've actually looked at Run8 and thought about getting it for the dispatch, but it's only one, very unimpressive route. If it were $20, I'd have given it a shot, but $40 seems steep for me for something that I'm probably not going to like. And I've seen enough posts in the Trainsim forums that people tried it, enjoyed it for a few hours, and then became thoroughly bored after awhile, that it's just not a very good investment. I can get more than a couple hours of fun out of a $5 loco from JointedRail or RRMODs.

Well....

...Clearly Deadpool here has never run model trains on an op-session with other people. Its not about those exciting moments, but about working together, to get a much larger job done. Even if its just for pretend.

There is a,lot I like about Run8, and a lot about TRS12. But nothing about RW TS13. Color light touched on a few good key points as to what makes Run8 good. But yes, a lot of the content will be payware. They are going to release a content creators tool kit some time next year. Yes Run8 is one route, yes its one style of locomotive, and yes the scenery isn't the best. But when it comes to MP is train sims Run8 has the right idea. The DS screen is what wins me over. That and they now have an external DS program. So I can drive my train on my main PC, but dispatch the session from my laptop.

Now TRS12 picks up where Run8 lacks. TRS12 has tones more content, much better and more routes, the tools to build more routes, and many talented content creators. MP in TRS12 is more fun in the model train sense that cars can be spotted at an industry and loaded with out user interaction. TRS12s controls are much simpler.

Both sim's are good at what they do.

But what about the OP, lets get back to this:

wonder why no mp sessions are running?

Lets look at a quote from my topic that Oknotsen linked:

Can I play multiplayer on my own route?
Yes, but there are a few rules to this. First of, the route its self MUST be on the DLS, as well as the session. And to add to that, all assets must be on the DLS or built in as well. I know that Jointed Rail EMD SD60M in BNSF that you paid $10 for is the best locomotive you have ever seen, but its not on the DLS so you can't have it in your session. And here's another twist, all the assets for the asset must be on the DLS as well. So that really cool ZMCX Mechanical Reefer is just what your meat packing plant needs to haul away fresh meat. But the trucks for it come from RR mods and are not on the DLS, meaning the car is a no-go for MP sessions.

Can I host a session?
You sure can! It just has to meet all of the above requirements for an MP Session. Here's a kind a cool thing we touched on back int he list of MP routes, you can password protect your session. Meaning only those with the pass word may join. This means if you really only want to have your few friends join your session, and no one else to come in and muck things up, put a password on it and tell only your friends. If you don't have a password, then any one may join. Only set a password if you want to have just your friends join, other wise, leave out the password and you might get to meet new people who you'll want to invite to those private sessions.

Requirements
To be able to play multiplayer in TS12, you should have the latest build of the game. At the moment of writing that would be build 49922. You can find this number in the bottom right corner on your start-up screen. If you do not have the latest build, go to options on that start-up screen and find where you can enter your username+password; you will find a patch button on that screen. UPDATE: Steam has been updated and now TRS12 from Stema should be at build 49922. So you can play MP with the Steam version of TRS.
To be able to see active multiplayer sessions, you need to have the route downloaded on your machine. To be able to join the session, you also need to have the session downloaded, together with all dependencies. Clicking "join session" will try to download the session and dependencies. If this does not work, look up the session in Content Manager and download it from there. (Thank you Oknatsen)
TRS12 for Mac has yet to be verified if it will work with other versions of TRS12.

You see, if you dont have a route that happens to have an MP session for it downloaded, then you dont see any sessions. And thus you falsely assume that none are up. But in fact, UMR has a session up 24/7 last I looked.

But there is another problem, all of our wonderful content. If your missing even one asset, or one thing is not on the DLS, then MP is a no-go for you. Yes this can hinder some fantastic routes, locomotives, roiling stock, and even scenery items from being used in the creation of of MP route/session. But I feel that this system of content management is perfect for a world of MP gaming.

If the requirement for content to be on the DLS where to have not been put in, MP would be impossible. Let me explain why that is:

Lets go back a few years to 2001 when Microsoft Train Sim, MSTS, was all we had. There was no system that managed content. If I built a route and sent it to you, you would have to hunt down the trees, the track, many different buildings. Then to install the route you'd have to copy files from one folder to another. Some times a web site where a piece of content was hosted might get shut down making it impossible to download some key part of a route. Finding every thing for a route, downloading, copying, and installing a it all could take hours. And even then it might not all be there. This is the same for Railworks TS13. This right here is why the DLS requirement for MP routes and sessions is a life saver.

Also, keep this in mind, many of use are busy with the holidays, or school, or other things. So sessions might be fewer. (This is true for Run8 as well, had two sessions canceled cause every one was busy.)

So this brings up another question, whats wrong with TRS12? Well first off, the flaky servers. They tend to be on and off, or at least there where last time I tried to host a session. Second, the fact that you must have the route and session installed to see what sessions are up makes it seam like nothing is ever going on. For this I'd suggest a system that displays what MP sessions are up, who's hosting, what route, what session, and if you have the route/session installed or not. Kinda like a server browser for some FPS games. Some think like this form BF3:

bf3-server-browser.png

So if you want a physic's driven, real deal simulator with MP then Run8 would be right for you.

But if having all that high brow realistic stuff isnt you cup of tea. If youd rather play with trains, then TRS12 is right.

Just my thoughts, not yours.

Once the content creators get the hang of what is needed for a good multiplayer session I think we'll look back on this as mere teething pains for new technology.

While guilty of including lots of stuff off the DLS in my one route and session, I do agree with you there Sniper.

My plans are to build a small route with mostly built-in content. But try to keep the DLS limited. But still planing that one my self. I know your good about keeping downloads small.

I was positively shocked when I got TS12 to find that it's MP front end was basically no more advanced then Quake 2. Speaking of, back in those days, the community had a game browser that was a separate program. I don't recall where it fetched the data from, but you could see all the games running on the system, and click to join.

Maybe TS12 needs that too? (well, it SHOULDN'T need it, but that's another story)

(caveat: I may be thinking of an older game called Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, but the idea was the same)

Well the server is down again. This does not help win people to MP on Trainz.

Also not everyone comes to the forums to check out the latest maps, A lot of potential players install the game see the one built in map and find no one playing and never bother with it again. Some start downloading some MP sessions but with so many sessions and so few people spread out across these sessions they also give up. The one map that has been a constant has been the UMR but even this had drawbacks when a first timer arrives on the scene they are faced with a massive download then a password, again some people would not even attempt to join.

Now i am not a computer savvy person but maybe the game developers could run a dedicated server for one large built in railway, that has something for everyone and does not rely on other people creating MP sessions, maybe they could run a competition to find the best map.

It has to be remembered that when Trainz started it was a model railway simulator, with creation of your model railway being encouraged, it has now grown to be a Train simulator that you can build whole worlds with just about any type of train, building etc available. This to me is still its core function.

As for Run8 to me it is like the Trainz Mojave map, will interest people for a few hours before boredom sets in, you can only go back and forth so many times before you get bored.

Now i am not a computer savvy person but maybe the game developers could run a dedicated server for one large built in railway, that has something for everyone and does not rely on other people creating MP sessions, maybe they could run a competition to find the best map.

Thats what the idea with UMR was. But after a few people came in and mucked things up. They derailed trains, made huge trains that had all the cars they could find, or did other bad things. Thats why they put on password on in it.

Thats what the idea with UMR was. But after a few people came in and mucked things up. They derailed trains, made huge trains that had all the cars they could find, or did other bad things. Thats why they put on password on in it.

Jib i understand that , i was just saying it was just another hurdle for new players, especially when MP was struggling to gain players.

Back