Alistair Dussart's Funeral Service

paulhobbs

I'm posting this in a separate thread to ensure that as many people as possible see it... The following is part of an Email from Alastair's father which at his request I am posting here.
I wonder if you could do another favour for us. Various Trainz people have asked when the funeral would take place. I think they might be wanting to pause for thought at that time. If it is appropriate, could you post the information on the Forum?

Funeral service - Thursday 4th October at 10.00am at Barham Crematorium near Canterbury. It is a truly beautiful place only a few miles away from where his railway locomotive is kept and anyone who wishes to attend will be very welcome. At the service, Alastair's love of railways, trains and the people who run them will be commemorated. We are asking for family flowers only but if anyone feels they wish to make a donation, we suggest such donations be given to the autistic society/trust in the locality of the donor. Our funeral directors (Co-operative Funeral Care - 65 Sturry Rd., Canterbury, Kent CT1 1BU 01227 463067) are collecting local donations which will go to the Kent Autistic Trust. Because of his Asperger's syndrome, some aspects of Alastair's life were difficult and we are hoping to help improve the lives of others with similar problems.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know.

Seeing as I can't make the funeral, I will hold a 2 minute silence for rememberance.

Thanks again, and God bless,
Gangsta_Boi

Question for any of the UK trainzers, is there anyone going in that direction? I'm not able to go by train, because the cremetorian is a few miles too far from the nearest train station.

Its a shame that I may not be able to come to this one, although I would love to, to pay my respects to someone truely great.

Alastair Dussart

Question for any of the UK trainzers, is there anyone going in that direction? I'm not able to go by train, because the cremetorian is a few miles too far from the nearest train station.

Its a shame that I may not be able to come to this one, although I would love to, to pay my respects to someone truely great.

In response to the above message. My son, Richard, who was a very close friend of Alastair's, is coming down from West Yorkshire next week for the funeral. I live in Dover, only ten minutes away from the train station. If anyone wants to meet up at my flat, I will be organising for a taxi/people carrier to take Richard to Barham and then onto Canterbury/back to Dover afterwards, so there will be more than enough room for anyone who needs a lift. I will even provide the bacon rolls and a cuppa to help you on your way.

Any friends or family of Alistair's will be most warmly welcome.

You can contact me through this site or via my e-mail: robert.phee3@btinternet.com. All I ask is that you let me know in sufficient time please, so that I can organise the taxi(s). Thank you. Christine

In response to the above message. My son, Richard, who was a very close friend of Alastair's, is coming down from West Yorkshire next week for the funeral. I live in Dover, only ten minutes away from the train station. If anyone wants to meet up at my flat, I will be organising for a taxi/people carrier to take Richard to Barham and then onto Canterbury/back to Dover afterwards, so there will be more than enough room for anyone who needs a lift. I will even provide the bacon rolls and a cuppa to help you on your way.

Christine

Thank you for the offer Christine, the only minor problem, comming from Chichester (Yes, really, that far!), the earliest I can make it is 09:40 (Cantebury West IIRC).
I suppose I could go via the marshes, but I'll have to look (thats Fishbourne (my nearest station) > Brighton > Eastbourne > Hastings > Ashford > Dover). As you can probably guess, it is already such a substantial journey for me, despite living on the south coast!

Another matter aside, you might find that some of us going, also know the pain Alistar (or is it Alastair?) is going through. Some of us (like me) have been diagnosed with the condition of Asperger's and the loss of Alastair(sp?) means that his useful advice and experience leaves a big void behind.
(Although, I sometimes have too many questions to ask and not enough answers!)

I can remember his answer to someone winding him up, classical but humourous phrases.

Alastair Dussart

Hi Wessex_Electric_Nutter

I too wasn't quite sure of the spelling of 'Alastair' and have been using the wrong one ie 'Alistair'. His name is spelt: ALASTAIR.

That does sound like some journey going through the marshes. Does the train which arrives at Canterbury at 09:40, go to Dover Priory first? If so, we could collect you from there on the way to Barham.

I remember Alastair telling me some time ago about having Asperger's and that it was thanks to his parent's determination that finally got him diagnosed. They will take great comfort from knowing about the help and support Alastair has given to you and others. He certainly was an excellent role model, in all walks of his life. For a long time, I didn't even know that Alastair had Asperger's. But, what a great outlet the train community is for this. From what I know and have read on this board about Alastair, he has used the condition in an extremely positive way. His enthusiasm for trains has been contagious, his recall of facts and figures has helped many, many people, and his excellent social skills and patience made it so anyone of any age or background felt so much at ease with him. If Alastair is an example of what people are like with Asperger's, then those of us without it, have a lot to learn and adopt about the positive qualities of it. The amount and depth of sentiment reflected in the posts in relation to Alastair's death, is proof of this. Maybe in time, you could get in touch with Molly and Georges to help fill your void but an even better tribute to Alastair would be to apply your skills and experience, in the same way he has done. You are of course, very welcome to contact me at any time.

Alastair had a great sense of humour and a wonderful infectious laugh. Yes, he could see off the best of the 'winders up' with intelligence, humour and knowledge. Perhaps you could post some of his 'put downs', I would certainly enoy reading them.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your feelings about Alastair. Take care of yourself and the invitation is still there.
Christine

Last edited:
anyone got a plane ticket from the USA? :p

Seriously though, I would come if I could. Though I only knew him from the internet, it hits as hard some of the people I know personally. For those of you that do attend give my reguards from his friends from the USA.

Our hearts & prayers to his family...

We would like to believe that he is now taking the train-ride he always dreamed about.

He will be sorely missed.

~Rick

I'll be at school. However, I will be humming "Nearer, my god to thee" (Nothing religious, I just watch Titanic a lot) at 10am on Thursday.

Alistair Dussart

I only know Alistair from playing TRS2004 and TRS2006, but I feel an empty loss hearing about his passing. My condolences and best wishes to his family. The time of the funeral will be 2:00 am here in Las Vegas, Nevada, but I will be awake, and pause in silence for a couple of moments at that time. Alistair will always be the foreman hog head on my Trainz railroads.

As having AS myself, I am not going to have a silent moment but instead I'm going to run one of my favourite routes with him.... I know he will be there....

Hi Wessex_Electric_Nutter

That does sound like some journey going through the marshes. Does the train which arrives at Canterbury at 09:40, go to Dover Priory first? If so, we could collect you from there on the way to Barham.

Christine

Hi Christine,

I think I sent you an email last night, that I did a search for Shepherds Well, the good news is that the first train I catch, gets there at 09:21 (not bad really), the trouble is, is it too tight in terms of times? Really, I am debating still whether to go or not, because of it.

Anyway, if you didn't get it, PM me off list and I will talk.

Hi Wes

I am sorry but I didn't get the e-mail. If you want we can pick you up at Shepherdswell (home of the East Kent Light Railway) and then go to Barham, which is only ten minutes away from there.
Please let me know Wes. It will not be out of the way going to Shepherdswell.
Warm regards
Christine

Hi Christine,

I think I sent you an email last night, that I did a search for Shepherds Well, the good news is that the first train I catch, gets there at 09:21 (not bad really), the trouble is, is it too tight in terms of times? Really, I am debating still whether to go or not, because of it.

Anyway, if you didn't get it, PM me off list and I will talk.

Tribute to Alastair

Can I just say a big thank you to whoever wrote the obituary for Alastair in the Trainz News of 1 October 2008. It was absolutely brilliant and a wonderful tribute to our dear friend. I am sure it will fetch great comfort to Molly, Georges and Fai and their family and all of Alastair's friends. You have done us all proud - thank you.

Last edited:
Can I just say a big thank you to whoever wrote the obituary for Alastair in the Trainz News of 1 October 2008. It was absolutely brilliant and a wonderful tribute to our dear friend. I am sure it will fetch great comfort to Molly, Georges and Far and their family and all of Alastair's friends. You have done us all proud - thank you.

And I'd like to thank them for allowing us to attend. For anyone that wasn't there, the best way to describe the funeral was hillarious. Its nothing I expected at all. The all-sorts Alistair got up to in his years, washing machines, trains, marbles on the motorway and his favourite words at work was all mixed in.

When the tributes were read out, I could see a lot of what Alastair was like, with what I am like, which Wulf and myself, both agreed on.

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone who did the ferrying around, I had only one place to go afterwards, home, although, I would of loved to stay (it took me 5 hours to get back! Thats along with going via Tonbridge, changing at Redhill for a Gatwick service (166203 is finally, the first Express Turbo off my list and no, I didn't regret it!) and the train in front of the one I was in, was involved in an incident, so, 20 minute delay there.

However, he may be gone, but his memory lives on and thats all that matters to us, to have the loving memories, we all know and share, live on, for as long as we too, live.

Shame I did not know this until now, I would have had a few minutes silence at school

Goodbye, Alastair, you (undoubtedly) will be missed.

What was his loco?

Back