Airforce bases???

colhad

QR Clyde/GMs
Hi folks

I'm thinking of making an airforce base on a route I'm putting together. I'd like to know a few things, like how buildings, planes etc are arranged.

I've downloaded a C-130 Hercules, a PC-Orion, what other planes could I use, does the RAAF use Cessnas at all??

I'm wondering also if anyone has/in the process of making a De Havilland Caribou. One of my all time favourite aircraft...loud but awesome sound. Used to watch them and the Hercs fly around in Richmond as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7YUkQlPLDk

Look forward to any suggestions.

Last edited:
If you go to www.googlemaps.com you can try and find any air force base you know of, there are two near me but I do not know if you mean by how the building setup is or where certain things are (comissary, barracks, post office, base HQ...). One of the bases has a tiny rail line going into it that I have been trying to get permission to photograph.

WileeCoyote

P.S. That Caribou sounds like a spitfire mkXIX that flew right over me when I was bicycling to an airshow.:D

Last edited:
There is a big difference in where the Air Force base is located. I have 2 near my house. One is Peterson AFB, it is fairly small (everything is compacted in one place), there are 3 gates: North, West, and East. The southern side of the base is accualy part of the Colorado Springs Municapal Airport. There are 6 hangers, the first is for training aircraft. The rest I dunno what the others are (always closed). The cargo transporters park outside the hangers.

The other AFB is the Air Force Academy. The AFA has a uniqe feature, the BNSF mainline runs right through it! There is a huge airport spacificly for the Air Force. C-130's, F-15's, F-16's, trainer planes, gliders, cessna's with Air Force markings for towing the gliders, C-47's, those huge mid-air refuelers, B-52 bombers, etc. There are 2 gates: North and South. To get to the Hospital on the Air Force Academy requires a drive up a steep mountain road for about 3 miles from the south gate. This base is the Air Forces Midwest head of operations. The idea of this base is to keep the feel of Colorado, the base covers 20 sqaure miles!

Just goes to show there can be a huge differnece so do use Google Earth.

I have found a pic of Richmond base that maybe useful. It does give me a good view of alot of the buildings.

Thanks all for helping, I will try Google earth too.

If you want to see the road plan of any air ports just look in your street directory.

You could also use google earth.

Mildly OT, but I have several cold war - era millitary models (mainly US and soviet; incuding aircraft) - if there's something specific you'd like, I can import it into TRS for you.

Mildly OT, but I have several cold war - era millitary models (mainly US and soviet; incuding aircraft) - if there's something specific you'd like, I can import it into TRS for you.

Thanks for offering Pencil42, would you by any chance have a Caribou, the plane I linked to in my first post.:)

Well, I look forward to whatever you have Pencil42. A good variety of airforce planes would be very beneficial. Do you have plans to release them on the future??

These are models from a vietnam mod I worked on - the vast majority of which are not created by me, but the rest of the team gave me permission to port them to Trainz. I don't have a timeline to port these models (sometime in the future), but if something was needed, I'll be happy to move it up in the queue.
Now that I brought it up, however, maybe I'll play around with some of them this weekend. What era are you modeling?

These are models from a vietnam mod I worked on - the vast majority of which are not created by me, but the rest of the team gave me permission to port them to Trainz. I don't have a timeline to port these models (sometime in the future), but if something was needed, I'll be happy to move it up in the queue.
Now that I brought it up, however, maybe I'll play around with some of them this weekend. What era are you modeling?

Ohh, I guess 1960s to present day. I'm not doing a prototypical route.

Quite a few airforce bases are sort of attached to civilian airports with an area set aside for the military part. Darwin is a prime example where the base is on the side of the only airport in town (btw with the longest runway in the southern hemisphere, which is still an emergency landing strip for the Space Shuttle should she ever need one in the southern hemisphere.).

There you will find the RAAF living quarter houses almost intruding into the private houses around with airforce specific buildings and hangars set to one side of the airport in a group together. You also find a separate take off runway there for visiting Harrier jets with its short and upward curved runway like on british aircraft carriers, my guess is for training purposes.

As the Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand etc. airforces and the US airforce with their Marine Harriers beside other US airforce planes frequently visit Darwin for joint execises or passing/refuelling on the way through. I used to live in Darwin for over 10 years and as I served in my youth with the Anti Aircraft Artillery in my national service, I took a keen interest in identifying aircrafts and all sort of flying stuff.

The same is in Alice Springs where a few Hangars are set aside for the RAAF on the only airstrip in town. You will also find quite a few older restored WW2 and other war planes around these airports as well, either for display, airshows or just belonging to private individuals.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Quite a few airforce bases are sort of attached to civilian airports with an area set aside for the military part. Darwin is a prime example where the base is on the side of the only airport in town (btw with the longest runway in the southern hemisphere, which is still an emergency landing strip for the Space Shuttle should she ever need one in the southern hemisphere.).

There you will find the RAAF living quarter houses almost intruding into the private houses around with airforce specific buildings and hangars set to one side of the airport in a group together. You also find a separate take off runway there for visiting Harrier jets with its short and upward curved runway like on british aircraft carriers, my guess is for training purposes.

As the Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand etc. airforces and the US airforce with their Marine Harriers beside other US airforce planes frequently visit Darwin for joint execises or passing/refuelling on the way through. I used to live in Darwin for over 10 years and as I served in my youth with the Anti Aircraft Artillery in my national service, I took a keen interest in identifying aircrafts and all sort of flying stuff.

The same is in Alice Springs where a few Hangars are set aside for the RAAF on the only airstrip in town. You will also find quite a few older restored WW2 and other war planes around these airports as well, either for display, airshows or just belonging to private individuals.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

VinnyBarb is right, in Ft. Huachuca Arizona the air base there is the same, it is shared by the army and civilians, here in Germany it is different however. It is either civilian or military and you do not land at a military one unless in an extreme emergency like engine failure.

WileeCoyote

Back