Miss Manners Returns

Euphod

No Friend requests please
cfaff7d19c74535077f69ade8a01633d.jpg

Welcome again gentle readers to the world of Miss Manners! I am delighted to report that today is my birthday, and I received as a gift a pop tart! A serious pop tart, for which I am quite grateful! Those of you who read my blog loyally will instantly know that I am not being truthful, but rather displaying sarcasm in my own delicate manner! One hopes she will be forgiven for this small jape! (Editor's Note: Have you read some of the blogs on here? I mean, really!) Whilst we are on the subject of "manners", however, I would like to regale you, my faithful audience with some advice for posting on the Trainz Forums. Perhaps you are not as sensitive as I, but I present these examples as cautionary tales, lest you become as naughty as those that inspire this post! You don't want to be a "naughty poster" do you? No, certainly not, for if so your reputation becomes forever soiled! You wouldn't attend the gala ball in a soiled gown or doublet, would you? Pray not, for those that you admire may grant you their attention, but for all the wrong reasons. No one likes a "dirty girl, or boy", so I expect you shall all do your best to display only the very finest manners in all social situations. Remember please, that when posting on a forum you may well be dressed in your small clothes, or nothing at all, but to the world you should present yourself as if you were bedecked in only the finest of clothing at all times. Are you sitting straight, with both feet on the ground and your head properly aligned with your spine? Excellent! Let us begin.

Lesson Number One, The Posting of a Thread:
Dear Reader, we all know the excitement of posting a new thread, particularly your first new thread. Such heady times are not for the faint of heart! Some of you may sweat profusely as you click upon that "New Thread" button, but I implore you to take a moment and breathe deeply several times to clear your head and banish your fears! We are all friends on the forums, and no one (save for me) shall ever permit the slightest transgression against your person or good reputation after you have posted! There's no reason to fear a written assault as all of us have been new posters at one time or another, and we all have fond memories of the care and nurturing we received when we began posting. (Editor's Note: This is a bald faced lie. Most of us were beaten severely, called names, and had our parent's lineage called into question more than once.) There are no sweeter nor forgiving men and women in the world than those that post on the the Trainz forums. They exhibit a great tolerance at all times, and are loath to confront others who may be just "dipping their toes" into the forum waters. You have nothing to fear from any of them, they are a kind and gentle people. (Editor's Note: Another lie, these people would just as soon flay you alive as answer your questions!).
Before you post, you would do well to review the "COC" (Code of Conduct), accessible by the button at the forum toolbar. Therein you will find a wealth of information detailing the rules you are expected to follow when conducting yourself while using the forums. (Editor's Note: The only one's that expect you to follow the rules are the other members that follow the rules. All teeth and no bite!) You should also take the time to register your game, as many "helpful busy bees" tend to fly right past posts from unregistered members! Remember, they are busy buzzing this way and that, helping all who have asked like the real bees in a meadow. An unregistered member's post is like a closed flower, and the bees tend to service the flowers that are open and waiting first. (Editor's Note: Whatever she's taking, I want some!)
Please do try to review your subject matter before choosing a forum to post in, as this can become a very minor point of contention with those that may deign to answer your question. Like a well organized bed linen wardrobe, on the forum you will find a place for everything, and all that is expected of you is to place your thread in the proper section. No easier task was ever expected of you I'm sure. Don't fret if in your excitement you happen to choose the wrong forum to post your thread, no one will dare to point out your gaffe, and there are specialized teams of moderators just waiting for the opportunity to move your thread to it's proper place! (Editor's Note: Uh, really? I'm beginning to think she hasn't ever even read the forums! HELLO!) Once you have chosen your correct forum, be certain that what you intend to write accurately reflects the statement or question in your thoughts. It does little good to provide the wrong, or incomplete information to those that are eager to help you, and even less good to write in such a way as the reader cannot understand! Although your thoughts may just be screaming "help me, help me", that clearly isn't enough information for our thousands of knowledgeable, courteous members to provide you with an answer. (Editor's Note: I am tempted just to delete this entire post...) Organize your thoughts and try to place yourself in the shoes of one of our helpful citizens to receive the very best advice possible. Perhaps you would consider posting your version, and your hardware or Operating System Specs if you suspect that information may be of help. After all; though there are many "helpful busy bees" on the forum, there is only one "you", and you can't spell "helpful" without "U"! See what I did there? I chuckle at my own little turn of phrase. (Editor's Note: OMG! If she didn't have that pistol...) Miss Manners will take this opportunity to remind her gentle readers to try not to use inappropriate language when posting. Obviously swearing and coarse language is forbidden, and the poster should attempt to keep the "Leet speak" to a minimum, and post in their native language as well, unless your native language is "uneducated preteen gang member". those types of posts are generally frowned upon by the helpful busy bees. At this point you should note that you can post in forums that use a different language, if you are so prepared. If you have that need, you may want to use a translation website for such ventures. While we are mentioning websites, using a proper spell checker program can make the world of difference between a gracious, well received post and one that is scorned by the helpful busy bees. I assume you all know better than to type in "ALL CAPS", as that is considered shouting in this medium, and our readers are nothing, if not sensitive to such hi-jinks!
In review then; read the COC, register your game, organize your thoughts, post in a clear manner, in the proper location, provide the necessary information, and courteously use the correct language.

Lesson Number Two, Responding to a Thread:
Now that you have posted a thread successfully I know you are eager to join the other busy bees helping other members just like yourself! You should be proud of your accomplishment and face the next task with enthusiasm. Please be kind and courteous when responding to another's thread as each thread is like a prize winning rose, carefully tended and loved by it's owner. You wouldn't want to leave divots in a golf course putting green, or disturb a meticulously raked Japanese rock garden would you? (Editor's Note: Will you get to the point?!) There are many ways to respond to a post, both well, and not so much. Obviously if you know the answer to a poster's question, you may deem to simply answer it. Prefacing your answer with the following phrases can serve to diminish the value of your answer, so please try to refrain from using them: "You moron;", "How many times do I have to answer this question?", "Listen idiot;", "Everyone knows that;", "For the hundredth time;", "How can you be so stupid;", and similar disparages. Answer graciously, for it's a great honor to be a helpful busy bee! (Editor's Note: :eek: ) Sometimes you may choose to answer a thread with humor, or to gently point out something amusing in a previous screenshot or statement. This is acceptable, and sometimes desirable, lest the busy bees become over worked. Levity can be a fine ingredient when used correctly, but you should always make it clear that you are trying to make a joke, lest other readers perceive your jest as a mean spirited remark. The use of smilies can go along way to making your true intentions known. Keep in mind that they should be used sparingly, as few members appreciate the use of too many in one post. Remember; every rose has it's thorns, but too many thorns will make for an undesirable rose indeed! (Editor's Note: I swear I'm going to quit this job! )
Sometimes you may happen upon a thread which asks a question you don't know the answer to, and it is fine to research and post when you do know, (Editor's Post: Of course Shane will have already answered it by then, unless he's asleep! ), but sometimes you may be in a position to guess, which is also fine if you indicate that you are not certain that is the answer when you reply. We all enjoy a hearty laugh once in a while, and on occasion it may just be at your expense! If you see a question has gone unanswered for several days, you may certainly post almost anything in reply, as this serves to "bump" the thread, and often brings it to the attention of a busy bee that can answer the question. It's not proper etiquette to "bump" threads that have languished for a year or more with out a very good reason, so be forewarned!

Oh dear, it seems I've run on too long, please join me next time when I discuss screenshot and signature banner etiquette! Ta ta! (Editor's Note: That should be good! )

Retro00064;bt274 said:
LOL! :D

What can I say, Ed. Your sense of humor is alive and well here on the forums. ;)

Regards,

Zachary.

What..me? I see someone has hacked my blog again...I'll get you Miss Manners! You can type, but you can't hide!:eek:

Ed
You're always good for some entertainment and enlightenment. Keep up the great blogs. Can't wait for your next installment.
Mike

That's a proper LOL Ed.

Might I suggest a little more 'white space' in your next blog? I don't think I can cope without the acres of it this forum normally provides!

leeferr;bt277 said:
Ed
You're always good for some entertainment and enlightenment. Keep up the great blogs. Can't wait for your next installment.
Mike

Thanks Mike, for reading and responding, I do appreciate it.

stovepipe;bt279 said:
That's a proper LOL Ed.

Might I suggest a little more 'white space' in your next blog? I don't think I can cope without the acres of it this forum normally provides!

Thanks SP, and thanks for leaving a comment as well. I am at the mercy of the character limit when posting. My rough draft was over the limit by half, so I saved much of it for next time, then still had to squash all the print together to be able to present an understandable post. Now I know better!;)

I think its the "Its my birthday" and "oohh I want a poptart now" is going to be a running gag in the blogs section, in fact, it gives me some ideas for my next blog :O

Last edited:
Wessex_Electric_Nutter;bt288 said:
I think its the "Its my birthday" and "oohh I want a poptart now" is going to be a running gag in the blogs section, in fact, it gives me some ideas for my next blog :O

Great, so looking forward to it.

steamboateng;bt282 said:
An enjoyable read and certainly on a subject we all should be reminded of every now and then.

Thanks steamboateng, as long as it was enjoyable! I appreciate the comment!

Euphod, I tried to PM you about this, but since you don't accept PMs. Anyway, at the risk of sounding like a boring old fart, to which, I am, heres a thread that you could possibly use as a basis of your next blog. :)

(original link removed to discourage similar posts)
Now, tell me if you can make sense of it, I can't but I guess he is looking for someone do to all the work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wessex_Electric_Nutter;bt294 said:
Euphod, I tried to PM you about this, but since you don't accept PMs. Anyway, at the risk of sounding like a boring old fart, to which, I am, heres a thread that you could possibly use as a basis of your next blog. :)

(original link removed to discourage similar posts)
Now, tell me if you can make sense of it, I can't but I guess he is looking for someone do to all the work for him.

Sorry W.E.N., but I removed your link. I appreciate your keen sense of material, but I just can't be the bully. I'll make my own decisions about subject matter, that way I take all the heat. If someone wants to post and complain to me, that's fine, but I don't want to gang up on someone else. I apologize for not having PM's or E Mail enabled, but as I've said before; I'm pretty much a solitary person, and don't care for uninvited interuptions, in fact, they can give me alot of anxiety. I realize posting here was not your initial choice! Thanks for reading and commenting, and good luck with your own blog, your Pop Tart, and your excellent content!;)

Euphod;bt295 said:
Sorry W.E.N., but I removed your link. I appreciate your keen sense of material, but I just can't be the bully. I'll make my own decisions about subject matter, that way I take all the heat. If someone wants to post and complain to me, that's fine, but I don't want to gang up on someone else. I apologize for not having PM's or E Mail enabled, but as I've said before; I'm pretty much a solitary person, and don't care for uninvited interuptions, in fact, they can give me alot of anxiety. I realize posting here was not your initial choice! Thanks for reading and commenting, and good luck with your own blog, your Pop Tart, and your excellent content!;)

Its not a problem, the trouble I'm finding is that if you can't make heads and tails, its not worth posting is it? Hmm, *sit back and think*.

Very entertaining Ed!:D

There are many who should read and benefit from the “Miss Manners” blog entry to pick up a few clues on responsible posting. The only problem I can see with your piece is that the individuals who would benefit most from its wisdom are those who are least likely to read it.

Much appreciated though and something we can all learn from. Perhaps I ought to read it more than once, particularly just before posting on a bad day!

Casper
Blog rookie
;)

mezzoprezzo;bt391 said:
Very entertaining Ed!

....and that is the goal Casper! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I only try to voice some common thoughts, and to make humor at the same time, Lord knows the drivel I write will never change a person's attitude or behavior, in fact, it will probably serve to solidify whatever attitude they have now....just to "irritate" me. I've seen it all, my friend!:D

Back