Aerial railfanning....

I was wondering the same...

Check out his other videos. He does a nice job explaining things about the operation and the area.

I wish I had one so I could get photos of building roofs etc for use as textures on my models. Google Earth images are typically still too low-resolution to make good textures from. How much do those things cost?

That's a relative term and doesnt really answer the question. An approximate cost then? Are we talking hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of dollars or more?

Last edited:
That's a relative term and doesnt really answer the question. An approximate cost then? Are we talking hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of dollars or more?

Actually not that expensive Dino
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Helic...-Gyro-2-4Ghz-Remote-Control-MJX-/161066830885 All depends on how much you really want to spend on the hobby i spose.
Watch this one Dino it was made with one of those Drone Copter things and haunting to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EAp_NhbF68&feature=youtu.be
Cheers Mick.

Last edited:
So I might be looking at ~$500 - $1000 for a decent system (brushless motors) with camera and remote control. Plus there is on-going repair and replacement of motors etc. Sounds messy. I might be better off making contact with a model flight club and paying someone there to come out with me and take some photos of specific buildings...

Last edited:
Danny Harmon has used this gadget a few times in other videos to show of the trains as they pass. It's quite interesting seeing the loads inside the hopper cars as they pass by.

Last edited:
you mean Danny?

I just got one of these quads too and hope to do the same very soon.

Yeah, sorry. I meant Danny. I worked with a Dave Harmon 30 years ago at Visual Technology. He was an FCC technician there, so that's probably why the name came out wrong!

That will be cool. It gives a different perspective on the railroad operations - almost like using the free roaming external camera and getting a bit above to watch the trains go by in Trainz.

I corrected my most to reflect the proper author's name. Doh!

John

Last edited:
Back