About RRSignal's Deleted DLS Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I'll fill you in on why most of my content was deleted. It was primarily a proof-of-concept.

First, let me say that I apologize to the Trainz community. I really did not want any of you to be caught in the middle and am sorry that you were. At the same time, it needed to be done, thanks to N3V's abject hostility to content creators (ok, well, more like taking us for granted.)

I was banned from the forums for a fairly innocuous post criticizing the hosting of content on third-party website (and a fairly tame debate with DeadpoolMX55), and noting that two creators recently left RRMODs amd took their content with them. This was sort of an "I told you so!" moment. But I think N3V's become a bit cocky in thinking that content creators don't have similar control over their content: Obviously, we do.

I've thought a bit about what would happen if N3V tries to restore my content to an earlier version. Supposedly, according to the EULA as well as N3V's own statements, a content creator retains full ownership of their content. I am well withing my rights to haul them into court if they try to restore it. As I have a significant legal background (owed to being a business-owner in modern day America) and having represented myself pro se, I could make life suck for N3V should they push the issue. However, I've made my point, and that would not be good for the community and not why I put 400+ hours into making the assets I have on the DLS. Moreover, I could easily have, say, made my textures pink and purple and been well within the purview of artistic license.

So, I intend to re-upload my content to the DLS, with some updates after the weekend. Of course, if N3V decides to be dbags about this, then maybe I won't be able to. That's on them. So, they;ll be fudging things up. Oh, well.

Which brings me to the next point: A lot of my content needed updating anyway. The skyscrapers don't have LOD. That's my bad. And new error-checking announced by Chris (Windwalkr) would have broken most of my assets that do have it. So, now I'll need to duplicate meshes rather than reuse the same one in config.txt...ugh! Stupid, stupid, stupid, N3V! (For those of you who are content creators, that means you can't simply refer to the same mesh for, say, both LOD0 and LOD1. You have to create two different files, even if they are of the exact same mesh!) I have a large number of unreleased assets that I needed to fix up for reasons both my fault and N3V's, though I'm not sure if I'll release those to the DLS or as a part of my SEPTA route.

Which makes for another great segue! :) I haven't really decided what will happen with that. I've thought about releasing it and much of the custom content NOT on the DLS as payware. I had started my own scripted signal project meant for the DLS and MP use, cancelled it due to prior N3V douchebaggery, then planned to restart it with the deletion of GrahamSea's site a couple weeks ago and probably distribute them with my route. Oh, well, we'll see. I hope GrahamSea realizes his site got hacked and puts his signals back uip.

I want to say thanks to those users who gave me the benefit of the doubt about this issue, especially Dave Snow. I didn't delete my reskins of his (and Euphod's reskins of same) because of his kind heart and very generous licensing terms.

I have no intention of returning to the forums, and, if I do, at nowhere near the levels of helpfulness I was willing before. N3V has become very, very demotivational.

FYI, for those who were seriously worried about my content going bye-bye, check my licensing terms...not only can you redistribute the content, but you can modify it as well, particularly to back- or forware-date it for use with various versions of Trainz. Crap, you can even port it to another sim, as long as you abiding by the DRM-free clause! (e.g. not Railworks!) So, have fun, folks!

Last edited:
If you want to convince the masses, how 'bout some examples of how N3V has been a big bunch of meanies?

If you want to convince the masses, how 'bout some examples of how N3V has been a big bunch of meanies?

1. You can use the search feature, if the relevant posts haven't been deleted. 2. Look at the laundry list of talented creators who have left the community.

Otherwise, don't care. :)

Last edited:
You have registered your copy for one thing. Secondly, you only show 2 posts, did a search, nothing came up on the DLS or in the forum for you. So where is all this deleted content as you have no access to delete yours or anybody else's content. You can only obsolete your content.

As for the comment of frogpipe, I agree with him, show us all examples of what you are talking about.

As for the two creators who left RRMods recently, that was their decision and had absolutely nothing to do with N3V.

It's RRSignal. However, his account is banned, and I imagine this thread will be locked.

Anyways, have a good life mate.

Jamie

Can you provided some reference to the source for your statement made here

Hi all.

Which brings me to the next point: A lot of my content needed updating anyway. The skyscrapers don't have LOD. That's my bad. And new error-checking announced by Chris (Windwalkr) would have broken most of my assets that do have it. So, now I'll need to duplicate meshes rather than reuse the same one in config.txt...ugh! Stupid, stupid, stupid, N3V! (For those of you who are content creators, that means you can't simply refer to the same mesh for, say, both LOD0 and LOD1. You have to create two different files, even if they are of the exact same mesh!) I have a large number of unreleased assets that I needed to fix up for reasons both my fault and N3V's, though I'm not sure if I'll release those to the DLS or as a part of my SEPTA route.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to lock this thread. It is created by a person who is banned from the forums after our moderators followed the protocol in issuing infraction points for posts made in other threads. It is also unfortunate that the poster is (was) a content creator who has decided that N3V have an axe to grind against him personally when there is no logic to the theory why we would want to alienate content creators from our community.

Bypassing a forum ban illustrates that the poster feels there should be different rules for some people to others. Whether banned rightly or wrongly, there are far better ways to solve these issues than creating a new identity. Similarly breaking functionality of his own content on the DLS brings unwanted problems to hundreds of innocent download station users who never even frequent the forums.

There is a lot more discussion that could take place regarding the pros and cons, and rights and wrongs of banning people from the forums, but the short answer is that a decision has been made by the moderators and I am respecting that authority placed in them by locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back