A warning regarding Disk Keeper auto defrag and Trainz.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I just installed the latest version of Disk Keeper - that longtime very reliable disk defragmenting program. I left the defaults to auto defrag my disks during quiet periods, which I've done in the past with great results.

Well... except this time! I started up Content Manager last night and everything appeared fine. I then downloaded some assets and as usual check for missing dependencies and faulty content since that's part of my downloading routine. When I checked for faulty content, I had a gazillion errors including TADDaemon errors regarding the database - "Content Manager can't find the Assets.tdx database", or something like that. I run with the developer consoles enabled so I can tell what's going on and saw that TADDaemon kept opening and closing Assets.tdx file repeatedly.

It then dawned on me that the auto-defrag was running at the same time and I turned that off. Once I did that, the database errors stopped and my faulty content disappeared.

So if you have Disk Keeper, disable the auto-defrag if before you start up Content Manager.

After I finished what I had downloaded, I ran a QDR overnight just in case. This did bring up a host of sound errors which are not related to this, and no other errors relating to missing database issues.

John

Back