A possible unwanted "upgrade" to Windows 10

ray_whiley

I understand that installing Windows10 is to become a recommended update and will be installed automatically on computers using earlier systems which are set to update automatically.

This may already be known but it is important to those like myself who do not want to change at present.

Ray

Correct. In the USA Microsoft has been trying to update Win7 (and I assume Win8) to Windows10 for months now. I am not ready to update but my experience is that it appears the update was being downloaded and would start an automatic update once download completed. The first time I allowed it to download completely thinking I'd be given a choice as to whether or not to install it. Instead, upon completion of the download, it displayed a "Preparing to update" message. I immediately booted the PC to halt it. Fortunately, it did not have time to destroy the Win7 installation and I deleted it off my PC. Some advance info I read said it would ask whether I wanted it installed. It did not ask me anything and appeared to be starting an installation process. At least twice I've seen the update reappear within other "important/recommended" updates. Each time I deselect and hide before selecting the other "important/recommended" updates. But, periodically this update reappears nested within other updates and you need to identify it and deactivate/hide it once again. The Win10 update that I watch for has always been number KB3035583. I always check the updates to be installed and deselect and hide it again if it appears within the list. It is almost as if Microsoft is trying to trick us into updating whether we want to or not.

This subject has been batted around for months. What I would like to know is how can it possibly be legal?

Yes they say its an "upgrade" but to me an upgrade makes an existing program better but you still have the original program. In other words afterwards W7 is still W7 or W8 is still W8. Not so in this case. You go to bed with W7 or W8 and wake up with W10. I find it amazing MS hasn't been buried alive in litigation - particularly if this is being done to commercial W7 and W8 users as well as private users such as us.

Thoughts gents?

Ben

It's a bit of a strange one on that front and it could fall foul of competition rules.

In terms of the upgrade/update side, that's fairly complex. An update in Windows terms is installing a service pack or a normal update although to some extent Windows 8.1 could be called an update. An upgrade is usually to a new major version of a program or operating system which can quite often mean re-writing the core files as is what happens with the W7/W8 to W10 upgrade.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but there should be a 30 day window where it's possible to revert W10 back to the previous version.

Shane

For future reference, uninstall Windows Update KB3035583. It's not one of the critical/security ones. Then go into Windows Update, check for updates, then hide that one. Should prevent this from happening again.

Things like this are why I generally advise against automatic updating.

What I would like to know is how can it possibly be legal?

I am sure that the lawyers at Microsoft would have gone over that question with a fine-tooth comb (if not then their legal department may be from the same division that spawned their recent attempt at AI - the chatbot named "Tay"). Probably if you look in the fine print of the license terms that you agreed to when you installed Win 7 or 8, it gives them the right to update/upgrade (strike out whichever is inappropriate) their software at any time. And it is THEIR software - they own it, you do not - all you paid for was for the "right" to install and use it.

This subject has been batted around for months. What I would like to know is how can it possibly be legal?

Unfortunately, not enough people are willing to take Microsoft (or any other software company) to court over things like this. At odds here is the fact that, even if the EULA allowed it, Windows 7 was advertised as Windows 7, not Windows 10, yet Microsoft marketed and sold one thing but switched it for something else.

Also, not enough people are applying existing law e.g. comparing software to, say, a book. You do not own the content of the book (which is why you do not have the right to reproduce it, apart from very limited "fair use" purposes). However, the publisher still doesn't have the right to break into your house and take it, even if they leave behind a newer edition - regardless of any user agreement.

Yah - that 70,000 square foot house Billy Gates has is undoubtedly wall to wall with legal beagles of every ilk.

The sad thing is I have nothing against W10. I want my next computer to come with it - I just don't want it on my current one.

Ben

EDIT:

Hi RRSignal:

Ok - I did that and restarted my computer as instructed. It seems ok. What exactly does deleting that do - block the install windows 10 process?

Last edited:
When we all paid through the nose to get Windows XP and 7 and 8 etc then I am left wondering how we can be offered Windows 10 for free? I always understood that there was no such thing as a "Free Lunch"! Something else they are not telling us then. Will we have to start paying for bits we need and add-ons? The word "sly" springs to mind and the list of Microsoft synonyms is getting longer all the time.

Doug

Yah - that 70,000 square foot house Billy Gates has is undoubtedly wall to wall with legal beagles of every ilk.

The sad thing is I have nothing against W10. I want my next computer to come with it - I just don't want it on my current one.

Ben

EDIT:

Hi RRSignal:

Ok - I did that and restarted my computer as instructed. It seems ok. What exactly does deleting that do - block the install windows 10 process?

Yup, Removing it removed the embedded SW that makes WINDOWS update to W10. It also removed the reminders as well. When you next get an update reminder, It may be on the list of updates, just be careful and be sure you do not reinstall it, or you will be back to square 1. (If you already told the updater to ignore it, Good. You can get it at YOUR convienience, or acquire your own copy of WIN10 at your leasure.)

Yeah - those reminders are a pain in the drain.

How do I tell the updater to ignore it please?

Thanks,

Ben

Click Start->Control Panel->Windows Update. Select Check for Updates. KB3035583 will be on there somewhere, probably under "Important" updates, but will not be called "Critical" or "Security". Right-click it and select Hide. Windows *SHOULDN'T* install it.

I installed that crapware willingly. Worst mistake ever. WORST MISTAKE EVER!!!!! I miss Windows 8 :( is was so easy and it ran well on my 2010 dv7 pc

But if I've already uninstalled it (deleted it) how can I hide it - its no longer listed.

Ben

RRSignal said it

"Click Start->Control Panel->Windows Update. Select Check for Updates. KB3035583 will be on there somewhere, probably under "Important" updates, but will not be called "Critical" or "Security". Right-click it and select Hide. Windows *SHOULDN'T* install it."

This hides it on the list of available updates. Outa sight, outa mind, outa HDD or SSD

I installed that crapware willingly. Worst mistake ever. WORST MISTAKE EVER!!!!! I miss Windows 8 :( is was so easy and it ran well on my 2010 dv7 pc

I don't understand your reference to "crapware" - could you please elaborate? While I liked Windows 8 and 8.1 (and 8.1 was better), I do prefer Windows 10. I find it faster and easier to use.

Incidentally, around June this year, Microsoft will release a major update to Windows 10, code named Redstone 1. Apparently, it will be similar to the changes that occurred from Windows 8 to 8.1

Hi everybody.
Pware in referring to the importance of “ Redstone” In his posting at #18 of this thread is perfectly correct. This update is without doubt one of the most important steps that Microsoft will take regarding the future success of Windows 10 and within that the future success of the Microsoft corporation.

Microsoft are holding their “ developers build conference 2016” starting today ( Tuesday 29th of March) in which software developers will be demanding to know when Microsoft will be releasing the tools necessary which will allow them to easily port software that is now on the Android and iOS platforms into Windows. The details of the foregoing and all else that will be discussed at the conference can be found by following this link:-

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3048...s-will-star-at-microsofts-dev-conference.html

Microsoft has to find success in the mobile market beyond its excellent surface Pro 4 tablet if it is to satisfy its stockholders and creditors in regards to the corporation having a viable and successful future. Therefore, all concentration will be placed on the Windows 10 platform to the exclusion of all else. It is obvious that Microsoft do not wish to spend time and revenue in producing conversion tools or anything else for earlier versions of Windows when ( in their opinion) earlier version users can quite easily upgrade to the current Windows 10.

Satya Nadella the chief executive of the Microsoft corporation should be congratulated on the way that he has turned the Microsoft juggernaut around since taking office In February 2014. The release of the Surface Pro 4 tablet has re-established Microsoft with its core business users. However that has to be built on further in the mobile market before the corporation can definitely demonstrate that past failures are finally behind them.

Yes, they may get litigation against them for forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10. However, they have obviously judged that to be far less cost than trying to support multiple Windows versions over a long period, and within that also making Microsoft software truly cross-platform in the mobile market.

who knows we may yet see T:ane on Android and IOS
:hehe:

Bill

Last edited:
I see from previous posts that KB3035583 is hidden terminology for W10 update. I've just received it in my to-do update list.

I copied the 'update' wording and this is what it pasted;

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)
Download size: 721 KB - 820 KB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035583
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Follow the link and this is what you get;

Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app that helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Thanks everyone for the heads up. Will be hiding this 'update'.

Edit. BTW. Uninstalled previous install of above KB. This removed from the system tray the Get Windows 10 app already there.

Last edited:
Back