A Method For Making AI Keep Turnouts Set

Is there an easy way to make a certain AI train (not all AI trains) keep the turnouts set to the route it needs? For example, if an AI train starts at the western most part of the route, and its command is "Drive to Eastern Portal", it wll have to set several turnouts along the way. Normally, the AI train immediately resets the turnouts back to how they were. Can I tell the AI train not to reset the turnouts after it has gone through them?

Thank you
Dean

Hi Dean

While I'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to do, in Surveyor try setting the default direction of all the junctions to the path required by the specific AI train. If any other AI train uses a junction it should then reset to the default direction after use.

Regards

Brian

You could place triggers in front of a bunch of junctions and then in your session add a "Trigger check" rule to act only on specific trains and then add a "Set Junctions" rule after that to set one or more junctions in a specific direction.

Note:
If you are going to try this, do NOT use the "Block AI control" option, as for me this results in an AI train getting stuck in front of the junction.

I am trying to set turnouts so trains can drive all the way across a route without having to pause to set turnouts. But, the turnouts must be able to be reset for trains going in the opposite direction. That is why I thought one train, eastbound for example, could drive through, setting the turnouts correctly for eastbound. Then, when I want turnouts set correctly for westbound, I could run an AI train westbound to set the turnouts for westbound trains.

Thank you
Dean

I think you can arrange that with 2 triggers (one east, one west) followed by a "Set Junction" rule that has all the needed junctions in it.

Or you can use the path rule, works great for AI because they don't set junctions, just drive the path while obeying signals and speed boards.

I seem to notice that as long as the AI has a clean run to each juction, they set juctions early enough to stay at line speed. Only time I see the AI slow down for juctions is when they are supposed to. IE: another inbound train has taken control, or the line suddenly becomes occupied because a train ahead has joined the line off of a sideing/diverge/joining mainline.

Davie UCF mentioned the Path Rule. This may be exactly what I am looking for. I cannot figure out how to make this work. I asked a question about it on this forum, and did not get an answer I could understand. When I make the Path Rule available in Quickdrive, it does not show-up available as a command to give an AI train. So, my question is, how do I make the Path rule work?

Back