8800 GTX on XP

samrec

Hi folks.

I just got a 8800GTX card on my system and have some issues getting trainzdiag to detect the OpenGL stuff.

Anyone has this problem?

thanks

I had the same problem running OpenGL. Try upgrading (or rather, reverting) to drivers 163.71. They appear to work. An make sure you have "Multiple Display Performance Mode" set to "Single Display Performance Mode" in the nV Control Panel. And furthermore, be careful of using AA with OpenGL, it can cause the system to crash and reboot if not used correctly.

Cheers,
John

Reverted to 163.71 and Trainzdiag still fails my card on every single OpenGL test.

Might be a limitation on DX9 mode for the card

Hi samrec
I have a nVidia 8800GTX 768mb, DX9, OpenGL 2.1.
I still use the nVidia drivers that were supplied with the card,
ver. 97.92(6.14.10.9792.)
The system and card run flawlessly in DX or OpenGL.
I updated to 163.71 and this caused display problems, I did not get as far as trying Trainz before reverting to the original driver.

DaveW

Last edited:
When I had my 8800 GTX installed, it would run in open GL or DX. But the old 7900 was quite sharper for about the same performance. So now my 8800 sits in the box waiting for... Duno, maybe a train simulator running DX10 ? The sharpness issue has been posted in several forums, but Nvidia says the card does not support it! and is grayed out or not available in the control panel. Oh! well..

Thanks for the input guys, but things just got worst last night.

I reckon, that might be some driver problem with my XP installation, and last night while removing some apps and rebooting my DVD-ROMs were no longer listed and XP reported a driver problem. So some of the apps might have taken a few drivers that did not belong to them when I got rid of them.

I had to do a system restore but that have left me with those apps on a non fully installed status and keep asking me for the CD to finish to set them up.

To make things short, tonite full delete and Vista64 will be going into it.

Hi,

I have the 8800GTS running XP (+SP2 now) with the 162.18 drivers and all is fine.

You may or will find that more problems are with Vista right now then XP, time will tell when the coming SP1 for Vista gets released to see what changes are made and what problems get solved.

Lets face it, it wasn't until after SP1 for XP that it started looking "inviting" for people to upgrade.

Back