40440 patch not poss. Devs wots ur advice

laatab

Well for whatever reason it's clear that for some of us patching to 40440 is just not going to be successful at this present time. That being the case I presume the devs will have something to advise.

My question is what is your advice at present given that this patch doesn't work for some of us whether we install it in safe mode, and we have lots of disk space and it's all defragged and we have knocked all are security software and anything else thats running on the head?

So where do we go from here, what info do you need to sort it out? Should we just wait for the next patch? Can we have a sticky about it?

regards

Laatab

The patch (build) number 40440 that you reference does not conform to the actual patch released by Auran.:)

Have fun,

I did mean 40040 of course although thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway, I have finally managed to install the patch over a clean trainz install then updated to 38599 and then to 40040. I patched it in safe mode (vista 32bit).

I think a lot of the probelm is with the behaviour of the patcher. It seemed to stall for 30 mins or so with the bar at less than 1%. Eventually it started moving very very slowly. So perhaps thats all the problem everyone is having is. It's fooling us into thinking it's stalled and prompting us to interfer.

Given this behaviour it's not unreasonable for people to assume something has gone wrong and I would suggest that as a matter of urgency that the offer to auto update that appears contains some warning about it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Regards

Laatab

I just left mine to load/install and wandered off for a coupla hours, came back, started trainz, it did a database repair then ran normally!:D

Yes. I didn,t even have to do the database repair. Worked straight off. I feel for those having problems. Perhaps read all the posts before you act or get frustrated too much.
baz

Lets not forget forums only represent a small fraction of users and those that dont bother with forums will not know. Add to that the fact that this update exhibits very bizare behaviour it could all add up to a big headache for lots of people. This isn't a good thing. The amount of time needed for the patch to work, and the fact it appears to have stalled, and without any warning about it. One guys reinstalled his operating system.

Regards

Laatab

IMHO it would also be very helpful if when a service pack installation failed it stated the reason and said where the log file can be found, instead of just saying "patching aborted".

John

The thing I hate about so many patch installers, including the one used by Auran, is that there is NO screen activity that shows it is doing something and is not stuck. All I saw with Aurans installer is a little green bar at the bottom of my screen that didn't much move for 45 minutes. Give me a rotating ring, or a tumbling triangle, or a changing list of the files being updated; just give me something!

Bob

Back