3 Versions of TANE (Trainz 2019) showing up in Apps & Features

Basically, when I installed Trainz on my PC, 3 versions of TANE showed up in Apps and Features. I have no clue what each of them are for, so looking for some answers.

I don`t know this of my own knowledge, but I`ve been told that those are all of them likely to cause problems if you attempt to uninstall them, so don`t uninstall any of them until someone who knows more that I do tells you about them.

I`ve also been given to understand that this kind of thing tends to happen when multiple installations have been made. I suspect that this may include installing updates to the program itself. It`s better to ignore them than mess with them.

I`ve also been told that things like this occur when programs uninstall incorrectly, leaving behind some of the uninstall information. When that happens, there`s not much that you can do about it that`s worth the effort it would take to clean it up yourself.

If any of this information is correct, messing with them could bring regret, so please don`t.

From experience, if you install updates for TANE (really Trainz in general) it'll relist itself as a separate install when really its just one install.
This has been reported several times in the past years and the issue is still presented.

Cheers

I have T:ANE SP4 and TRS19 SP5, and all I have is 11 entries called "TANE". Three have the T:ANE icon, seven have the TRS19 icon, and one has a generic icon. It would be very tricky to try and uninstall anything.

As I've explained before, this is due to the installer not having the product field changed when the package was compiled. During the packaging operation, the program will ask for parameters such as program name, etc. Someone neglected to change it for subsequent programs and now we're stuck with everything saying T: ANE.

To add insult to injury, the program updates don't reference the original installation. This is usually done through a .inf file that has program versions in it, among other stuff needed for the installation. By not referencing the program version that way, the install goes in and leaves the old program stub behind making it impossible to uninstall the program easily.

I found this out many years ago when I was assisting one of the programmers where I once worked to package up a program for a customer. This was a special one-off thing and he was rushing it out to the customer for testing. At the time, they used Vise which is long gone but the process is the same for others.

Back